I Dropped A Gutka Sahib

Guest s

Guest _khalsa_

YOU MUST READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the one who said that it is physical book you do not need to do any thing that is not right he/she has sinned because as today he/she said it is physical book then tomorrow they will say that you don't need to respect Guru Granth Sahib it is physical book.So don't lisen to who you think is saying wrong. You should be doing ardaas and read whole gutka sahib and beg pardon from your heart. GOD WILL FORGIVE YOU IF YOU DO THAT I PROMISE..................

• 13 years later...

My gutka sahib's pages got out due to it's broken thread and They fell down...... i have fixed them with the fevicol but i am still very worried as my soul is not agreeing to continue path on the same gutka.  What should i do ? 

11 hours ago, S1ngh said:

You should do the aggan bhaet and then purchase a new gutka sahib. 

There is simply no reason to do agan bhet (tribute to the fire).

13 hours ago, Guest Komal said:

My gutka sahib's pages got out due to it's broken thread and They fell down...... i have fixed them with the fevicol but i am still very worried as my soul is not agreeing to continue path on the same gutka.  

There are ways of repairing books. (Yeah, I know Gutka Sahib is not a mere book, but I'm just talking about the technology of binding.)

I have no clue why your soul doesn't agree to do path on that Gutka Sahib.

Do you think it has been sullied?

Even if you wrote Gurbani on something that was ritually impure, that would make it pure:

ਤਰ ਤਾਰਿ ਅਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀਐ ਰੇ ਜੈਸੇ ਕਾਗਰਾ ਕਰਤ ਬੀਚਾਰੰ ॥
ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਗਉਤੁ ਲਿਖੀਐ ਤਿਹ ਊਪਰੇ ਪੂਜੀਐ ਕਰਿ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੰ ॥੨॥

The palmyra palm tree is considered as impure and so are deemed its leaves to be.
But if the Lord's praise be written on it, we worship it and bow before it.

p1293

Similarly, Guest Komal, for whatever you think the pages of the Gutka Sahib became "impure" by falling on the ground, it is still pure. Get it out of your head. The very Gurbani you're reciting says so.

This is not to say that you should throw dirt on purpose on a Gutka sahib. It is only to say you shouldn't burn a Gutka for your mistake.

In addition, you should think about why the Gutka Sahib is holy. It's not because of the paper, or the ink itself. Other books have equal amount of paper and ink.

It's because the ink is used to write the praises of God.

So, a question for you: Does your Gutka still have the praises of God written in it?

If so, what's the problem?

Think a hundred times before you burn a writing with God's praise written on it.

Whatever sin you think you committed by merely dropping a Gutka, think how much worse it would be if you burnt it.

Just to clarify, I don't mean to say dropping a Gutka is nothing. It's not.

Proper respect for Gurbani requires being mindful of physical repositories of Gurbani.

1. So, like @MisterrSingh said, do an ardas, do some additional bani, and that should be the end of it.

Whatever feeling you have, say it in ardas:

ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਪਹਿ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਕਰਿ ॥
Regarding thy mind's woe, make supplication before thy Guru. p519

2. If for whatever reason you think that's not enough, go to a Giani ji and ask him what you should do for contrition.

3. If that's still not enough, present yourself before the Panj Piyare and ask forgiveness. It ends there. The Punj Piyare have the power of Guru ji.

But whatever you do, do not go and burn the Gutka sahib.

Unfortunately, the poster Guest Komal doesn't have an account, but I would really like to ask him if he could articulate why exactly, in his mind, he can't do paath from that Gutka Sahib.

I can only assume that the post recommending agan-bhet was sarcastic. If the argument is that if you accidentally touch a Gutka sahib to something unclean (like the floor), and then you should burn it, does that mean the same applies to, say, your father?

If you were helping your father in some way, and accidentally tripped him, would you then conclude you should burn him?

Obviously, you should say sorry. But not getting a new father, for crying out loud.

On 8/18/2022 at 9:01 AM, Jacfsing2 said:

You don't agree with Agan bhet sewa in general?

In general, I don't.

And it's not seva. It's a huge sin.

When I said there's no reason to burn the Gutka Sahib, I mean simply there's no reason given in the post.

I didn't come up with this.

The venerable @N30S1NGH was a hard core opponent of burning Gurbani.

Some people in our Panth are on a agan-bhet bender (I'm not talking about posters on the board, I'm talking about the actual institutions mentioned in old threads). 

It is really, really hard for me to understand a reason for burning birs of Guru Sahib or Gutkas in the vast majority of circumstances. If a page is torn, you can fix the tear. If really necessary, you can replace the single page.

After a long time, the sides of pages become worn. But so what? I've done paath from older Gutkas. Why does it become necessary to burn the Gutka?

It's not a car that you're trading in for a new model.