Fire - Arson At East London Gurdwara - Bow

http://www.emgonline.co.uk/news.php?news=4428

Mon, Mar 30, 2009 2:39:12

Sikh community want answers to Gurdwara fire

47gurdwara_fire001.jpg

Sikhs write to the police, asking for answers

Fire ripped through the oldest Gurdwara in London on Monday 16th March 2009 at Bow Gurdwara, Harley Road They write :

We write concerning the events that transpired on the 16th March 2009. As you will be aware, the Sikh Temple situate at Harley Road in Bow was raised to the ground by fire.

11 Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, the Guru of the Sikhs, sustained significant burns during the fire.

This has set the Sikh Community on fire, enraged and in disbelief that such a crime could be perpetrated. There is an energy in the Sikh Community that requires justice to be dispensed to settle it.

To date, this has largely been suppressed by community leaders urging the Sikh Community to pull together and focus its energy towards ensuring that the Sanskar (cremation) of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji was effected respectfully.

Suppressed emotions have now been unleashed, the Sanksar ceremony having been completed. Now the Sikh Community as a whole are seeking answers. Attention has turned towards your investigation.

No arrests have been made and this has brought about feelings of frustration, anxiety and anger amongst the Sikh Community which is bent upon ensuring that the perpetrators are brought to justice.

There have been incidents of uprising in Delhi, upon news reaching India of the fire and damage to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

What needs to be understood is that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the Guru of the Sikhs and is so recognised under Indian law as being the living Guru. Although our Guru is timeless, the fire in our minds is akin to an act of murder by law and should be treated with no less passion on your part.

Had the fire claimed the lives of eleven human Sikhs, the 16th February would not have been as dark a day as it is in our hearts.

As such, the Sikh Community would implore you to investigate the matter in the manner that a homicide investigation would be undertaken.

There is a strong feeling amongst the Sikh Community that the Police do not understand the gravity of the crime or that the Police do not care. The community feel that this is low on the list of Police priorities. This is illustrated by the fact that you have interpreted the crime as being a criminal act to "property", thereby treating the incident only as one of arson.

Not enough is being done to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to justice and this feeling that commitment is lacking on your part will not encourage the Sikh Community to place its faith in your ability to furnish it with justice in the future.

We urge the Police to take this incident seriously. The growing feeling of resentment towards the Police needs to be taken seriously. The matter needs to be taken seriously by the Police.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people really cared about that Gurdwara beforehand, Guruji would of never of let that happen. It is his own home, and he is the one that writes the destiny, nevermind punishing the criminal of this act. This happening is a punishment to us. And i know I shouldn't speak for everyone, but come on, i think if someone had true devotion to God, they would have merged with him by now, and they'd be known all over the world. I don't see anyone like that. Therefore we are all egotists, if you deny this then that proves it even more.

Guruji set himself on fire, to show us are true colours and we are not very bright. Which saint will stand up and carry the rest of us across? By myself I can not do anything at all.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

To mark the Atrocity that happened at Gurdwara Sikh Sangat in Bow on 16.03.09 when a cold hearted arson attack lead to the desecration of 11 saroops of Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj, many Senchiyaan, gutkey, and the Gurdwara Itself.

The Youth are getting together to do Kirtan and Chaupai Sahib Jaaps outside the Gurdwara on

Saturday 4th April

10 am - 6 pm

Outside Gurdwara Sikh Sangat, Harley Grove, Bow E3 2AT

Please Show your support and attend the program.

post-6863-1238578917_thumb.jpg

Sangat Jee this letter has been drafted up as a template which the Sangat can use to send to their local MP. Everyone who has not yet contacted their MP is requested to play their small part in AT LEAST copying and pasting the letter below (not forgetting to add your MP's name at the top and your name at the bottom) and emailing it to your local MP.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Guru Ang Sang Sahaaee Hovai.

Dear [add MP Name]

RE: Community Attack - Serious Action Required

I am writing to you in concern with Sikh Gurdwara that was set alight and burnt to the ground on 16th March 2009 in Bow, East London. This attack has left the Sikh community across the country in deep shock and want the authorities to carry out a thorough investigation to catch the culprits.

According eyewitnesses inside the Gurdwara during the attack, they saw a black/mixed-raced unidentified person running through the Gurdwara building just before the congregation realised that the building has been set alight. The fire was a direct attack on the Sikh community which has been ignored by the main stream media and handled poorly by the police. The attacker(s) burnt eleven copies of the Sikhs’ Sacred Scripture, Guru Granth Sahib, which the Sikhs revere as the Living Guru, the Living Voice of eternal wisdom that guides the community and teaches a humanitarian embracing message. The burning of one copy of Guru Granth Sahib is considered the most sacrilegious of all acts, however the burning of eleven copies of Guru Granth Sahib has scared the UK Sikh community.

No arrests have been made by the Police and this has brought about feelings of frustration, anxiety and anger amongst the Sikh Community which is bent upon ensuring that the perpetrators are brought to justice. Failure of finding the culprits motivates the individual or gang and others to do a similar attack on other Gurdwaras.

There is a strong feeling amongst the Sikh Community that the Police do not understand the gravity of the crime or that the Police do not care. The community feel that this crime is low on the list of Police priorities. This is illustrated by the fact that they interpreted the crime as being a criminal act to "property", thereby treating the incident only as one of arson.

I urge you to bring forward this matter to the police and government, as the growing feeling of resentment towards the Police needs to be taken seriously.

I await a response from you.

Regards,

[Name]

Thank Waheguru!!

That last draft was well written. Some of the letters I saw read like they had been written by mentally unhinged people. That would only make us look like idiots.