Fire - Arson At East London Gurdwara - Bow

right liveandlivity you make some fair points, but if we cant stereotype this gang then we cant stereotype sikhs either. no one on here knows this gang, so no one is right. happy now? but more details on this gang would be appreciated if anyone knows anymore.

back to the question about evidence, why is the community there so quiet? surely the wider community would be awash with people talking about it. but now its as if people want to forget it and move on. so does anyone have any further points to add?

I don't know what it is like where you live, but in many parts of London Sikhs seem to be split along castes. I have lived in East London most of my life and did not know there was a Gurdwara in Bow!

true, even some of the local sangat there have said that the gurdwara has been established for many years, and they have not had problems with local gangs in the area.

apparently the sangat also hold functions on the field opposite the gurdwara named 'SIKH sangat' on vaisakhi and bandi chhor, so i'm sure that the locals would know the difference between a mosque and a gurdwara

Son't be so naive. You can work with some goray closely for years and they still don't know the difference between Sullay, Hindus and Sikhs. In the old East End there was term used to cover all 3...Paki...lol

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Response to Dal Khalsa UK from Richard Barnes London Assembley Member:

Thank you for your e-mail. I am very well aware of the sacrilegious tragedy in East London and of it's significance to the community. Indeed, immediately after we became aware of what happened both the Mayor and I wrote to the secretary of the Gurdwara expressing both our sympathy and support.

I am assured that the police are treating the matter seriously and full and proper investigations are being conducted

Yours sincerely

Richard Barnes

Latest Reply from George Galloway's office

07th April

"Dear Baljinder,

My name is Rob Hoveman, one of George Galloway's staff. I attended the briefing meeting last week. I will send you a longer email asap but I am having to rush off to a meeting about a serious local assault that recently took place. When I email later or tomorrow morning, I will give you all the information I am permitted to provide. Although this may not explain all of the lack of communication of which you complain, the police did make a very strong case that they could not divulge details of their enquiries for fear of compromising the investigation and thereby reducing the chances of catching anyculprit, and also of jeopardising any possible future prosecution.Defence barristers will be very quick to cite grounds for dismissal ifinformation which could compromise the court's impartiality were to get into the public domain. I appreciate this is extremely frustrating for the members of the Gurdwara and the wider Sikh Community but the case was made very powerfully that limiting public information was an absolute necessity for both reasons. It was also clear to me that the police had giventhe investigation a very high priority and the briefing itself was conducted by the most senior police officer in Tower Hamlets, the borough commander. This would not have been the case were the case not being given the highest priority. I will email later or tomorrow morning as time permits.

With best wishes, Rob"

http://www.neverforgetbow09.co.uk

Dear Mr Singh,

Thank you for your faxed letter of 6 April 2009.

It may be helpful if I explain that the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and the police are separate authorities. The CPS is responsible for reviewing and, where appropriate, prosecuting most criminal cases in England and Wales following an investigation by the police. The CPS is also responsible for providing legal advice to the police about cases, although we cannot provide legal advice to members of the public.

The CPS is not an investigative body and has no power to investigate allegations of crime. Therefore, when a criminal offence has been committed, it should be reported to the police so that an appropriate course of action can be taken.

I note your concerns about the police, although I cannot comment on them. If you wish to complain about the police you should contact the complaints and discipline department of the police force concerned. You can also write to the Independent Police Complaints Commission at 90 High Holborn, London, WC1V 6BH. Their telephone number is 08453 002 002.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/index/complaints/forms.htm

I hope that this information is of assistance to you.

Yours sincerely,

Correspondence Unit

Crown Prosecution Service

50 Ludgate Hill, London, EC4M 7EX

Tel: 020 7796 8500

Dear Mr Singh

Thank you for your recent e-mail to The Metropolitan Police Service.

Your e-mail has been sent to the local Borough for their investigation, they will respond to you directly.

If in the meantime I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Zoehonna Green

TPHQ Citizen Focus Policing Programme

Metropolitan Police Service

Room 822

New Scotland Yard

10 The Broadway

London

SW1H 0BG

anyone got any real responses? if people visiting this topic contact public bodies directly and indirectly it may annoy them enough to actually do something for a change

Dear Mr. Singh

Thank you for your fax correspondence to the Mayor received on 4th April 2009. I have been asked to respond on his behalf.

The Mayor is concerned to hear about the arson attack on the Sikh Gurdwara temple and the effects that it has had on the local Sikh community.

The Mayor is the Chair of the Metropolitan Police Authority (MPA) and, as your correspondence relates to a policing matter, it has been passed to the MPA to provide a response direct to you. The MPA has a responsibility for ensuring that the Metropolitan Police Service is efficient, effective and fair.

The MPA aims to reply to correspondence within 20 days, and will inform you if they are unable to respond within this period. If you have any queries please contact Yvonne Peart, Information Officer, MPA, 10 Dean Farrar Street, London, SW1H ONY or email: enquiries@mpa.gov.uk.

Yours sincerely,

Mary John-Baptiste

Senior Policy & Projects Officer, Community Safety Team

Communities and Intelligence

GREATERLONDONAUTHORITY

anyone else feel like they're being given the run around?