A Satguru In Each Yuga?

sikha

Gurfateh.

I have read the pauri in the Vaars of Bhai GUrdass regarding the Waheguru mantar many times, but this time i came across something interesting. in the preceding pauri Guru Hargobind Sahib says that the Satguru takes avatar in each yug, and then this line is followed by the waheguru mantar pauri.

The Sikhs prayed and asked that they have seen the six Gurus

The true Guru, the knower of the unknowable and seer of the invisible told the Sikhs to listen to.

The lineage of the Sodhis have been established on the sound foundation.

In each and eveyr yug the satgur will take avatar.

following:

In Satyug, Visnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and ‘V’ Of Vahiguru reminds of Visnu.

The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and ‘H’ of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

In the the treta was Ram and ‘R’ of Vahiguru tells that rembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

In kalijug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and ‘G’ of Vahiguru gets Govind recited.

alternative translations and interpretations i've come across is that in satyug Vishnu in the form of vasudev was the satguru..

what do you guys think when lookiing at the context from the preceding pauri

can i have the deatials of the vaar number and pauri and i think you got the gist of the vaar wrong. It does not say there is a satguru in each and every jug. The two words Jug Jug represent the coming gurus after Sri GUru Hargobind Ji. Jug means 2 so the last line in 2 + 2 gurus will proceed Sri Guru Hargobind Ji.

It is actually a future prophecy

Sikha,

It's deeper than the simple translations you might have come across.

You have to first understand the different types of avtaars, and how Guruji fits in this.

Guruji is Sargun Swaroop of Akaal Purakh, the others are avtaars of Vishnu (through whom Akaal Purakh directed mankind in the respective Yug).

The Satguru is sargun Akaal Purakh. In that sense, yes through sevak Vishnu Satguru ji has come in each yug. But only difference is in kalyug, Vishnu was not used, instead..."aap narain kaladhaar yag meh parvariyo"...

Sat Sri Akal,

Gurbani says that there has to be atleast one God-Conscious being on earth, otherwise something bad would happen to earth.

There is only one satguru and thats GOD himself, once a physical body realises him completely and merges into him then that body is called the satguru. it is still the light in the body that is the guru, body is not the guru, body is maya, behind physical is paar brahm parmeshar ji. so guru nanak to guru gobind was all one god - sat naam, body was not the guru, the supreme soul himself was in control.

so this would apply to all the avtaars in the past, present and to come in the future. Its all God.

satnaam sada satnaam

forever the dust of your feet

Sikha read a steek or get santhiya. Alot of the words in bani have more then one meaning. Example is in Jap Ji Sahib Sunnia Eesar Barma Ind. Ind can mean, Vishnu, Indar or the moon demi god.

Pauri 6 Je Jug Charay Arja. - translation could talk about the four ages. Second is; if 2 (Jug) 4 (Charay) Arja = this talks about the 8 sadhans (2 * 4). Aagin if you gointo one of Guru Ram Das Ji' s Shabads about the future prophecy about how many gurus will proceed them in human form they say in their last line Jug Jug Jug meaning 2 + 2 + 2 = 6. This line was not talking about 6 different ages! If it was then please name them?

If you still doubt this which from your reply i can see the Sampardai steek, faridkot steek, Taksal Steetk, Giani Harbans Singh Steek, Giani Mani Singh Steek, Katha by many of the mahapurkhs on the internet.

Kam:

I did'n reject what you said. I simply asked in what indian language yug can mean two, as i've never heard anyone say yug when reffering to the number two. If i sounded harsh i apologize.

You say that the words in Gurbani has different meanings. is it possible that my interpretation is also correct when looking at the context? i think it was in the english commentary of bhavras amrit granth that i read that Guru Har Gobind in bhai Gurdas vaar says that the satguru takes avatar in each yuga. i think it was reffering to this pauri.

According to Bhai Veer Singh Ji, Jug means two so Jug Jug means 4. Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha in Mahan Kosh also interprets Jug as two or couple. All schools of thought in Sikhi agree to these meanings in regard to the pauri of Bhai Gurdas Ji. Your interpretation cannot be correct because:

1) Sikhs are asking Guru Sahib as to how many more bodies or cholas will Guru Sahib take. In reply Guru Sahib says 4 more. If we go by your interpretation then the reply doesn’t answer the question.

2) Satguru is only one and has been since the beginning. There is only one Satguru accepted in Gurmat and that is Guru Sahib. Others who achieve salvation are called Bhagats, Saints etc but never Satguru. They are also called Gurmukhs but never given the title Satguru. A Sikh can become one with Guru and merge with Akaal Purakh but he/she never becomes Guru or Akaal Purakh.

3) If a Satguru comes in every jug then it means only three can be called Satguru prior to 1469. It leaves large number of prophets and avatar out. And why a Satguru can only be from the Hindu myths and not from other religions? If Vishnu is one Satguru then Raam and Krishna (being his incarnation) are not any different which means for first three yugs only Vishnu came but in Kalyug Guru Nanak Sahib came as Satguru. This would go against the next pauri which in literal terms declares Vaasdev, Krishna and Raam as three different Satgurus. Mohammad, Jesus, Moses, Buddha and many others are left out no matter what.

4) Last pauri of Vaar 1 has been discussed before and also listen to veechar by Baba Hari Singh and links are posted in the same topic. http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=40588&hl=

Guru Rakha

In Twarikh Guru Khalsa (Giani Gian Singh Nirmala), Dhru Bhagat says to Guru Nanak Dev Ji (when he goes to Sach Khand via Beas Nadhi) that from the beginning of time, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji is the only one who has been 'Satguru'.