Sikh Journalist Throws Shoe At Indian Home Minister

ranj03

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/04/0....shoe.throwing/

By Harmeet Shah Singh

CNN

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- A journalist hurled a shoe at the Indian home minister, apparently in anger over his Congress party fielding a leader who had been accused of leading anti-Sikh riots in New Delhi in the aftermath of the assassination of Indira Gandhi in 1984.

Security personnel caught hold of the journalist, identified as Jarnail Singh, and took him into custody after the incident, which happened as Home Minister P. Chidambaram held a news conference in New Delhi.

Singh was later let off without charge, Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said.

The journalist had hurled the shoe when the minister refused to comment on his party nominating Jagdish Tytler, a lawmaker from the Congress party.

Don't Miss

Eight dead, 80 hurt in India blasts

Blog: Shoes also the weapon of choice in South Korea

"Let not emotional action of one person hijack the entire press conference," Chidambaram remarked after the incident.

Recently, India's federal police recommended withdrawal of the case against Tytler, citing lack of credible evidence.

Official figures say about 3,000 Sikhs were lynched and burned alive by mobs after Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards

Dud ut actually hit him in the face?

I read that it missed him unfortunatly...

But the emphasis here should not be on the shoe throwing, but on the Indian "government". For them to drop charges against the congress minister who conducted the 1984 massacre, is barbaric to say the least.

Just goes to show that the indian government is just as guilty as any other murderous nation like america these days, absolute murderers in my eyes. No justice, no apology, just further indications that sikhs are oppressed, just like millions of other innocent people in the world, ie Palastinians in gaza.

World is a horrible place to live in, in this day and age.

God willing, all these murderous nations get their punishment for all these decades of oppression and injustice.

Its the right time for sikhs to bring it forward in indian media. I can see some indian media already against tytler. Please post your comments on indian media sites like cnn ibn and ndtv. I am not saying it will do anything but it will be worth whatever little it can do. be specific and brief:

I posted following :(dont know whether they will approve it). I request all reading this to flood indian media sites with as many comments like these as possible:

1.Sikhs fought for India always, they were the first to get attacked whenever any intruders attacked India.

2.Sikhs were on top in the list who gave most number of sacrifices during freedom fight from British. Proper sources can be used to verify this.

3.British offered sikhs a homeland of their own like pakistan. Sikhs refused and chose to stay with India.

4.Sikhs fought for India bravely in Indian Armed forces and played major role in all of India's wars with china and Pakistan with most recent one being Kargil war.Please check some proper sources of history again.

5.Sikhs holiest shrin, Golden temple, was attacked using Indian Army and tanks just to flush out handfull(less than 50) millitants. These millitants could have been shot or arrested easily when they roamed out freely.

6. Indira Gandhi's bodyguards killed her. It was their decision not sikh community's.They were all hanged within 4 months after assination.

7.3000(indian official figure) sikhs were killed all over India.people were killed with their hair pulled out,tyres around their necks, women raped.i cant list all that happened.It was supported by Police, Politicians,Government. It was pre planned and not an act of few uneducated people. Official sources were used to identify sikh homes and kill them.

8.8-9-10!! Gods knows how many committe's have been set so far to do the investigations.Nothing happens, noone punished.

9.People like Tytler and sajjan Kumar who invoked mobs to kill and rape walk free even after 25 years and are fighting elections to become MPs.Nanavati commision had clearly stated that Tytler and sajjan kumar invoked mobs.there have been n number of witnesses. most recently witnesses were televised on major news channels all over India.How will victims of riots feel? How will sikh commuity feel? and as an indian How do you feel?

10.CBI, investigation agency which is supposed to be most apolitical,impartial and premier clears Tytler of everything.

11.No wonder many sikhs have no sense of belonging left for India and many more are loosing any patriotism for India.

12. Is this what we got independence for?

13. is this kind of India we want/

14. Can we say this will not happen again to any community (Including Hindu community) in India?

15. Are we proud to be called Indian? I am definitety NOT.

Just to let everyone know that I had posted exact same message that I posted on his forum on sikhnet and it got dissapproved with following reason:

This post contains rude or inappropriate language or content.

We do not allow political rhetoric and propaganda. To be fair, if we

approved your emotional message then we will also have to approve the

opposing views that we have rejected.

I am not sure what was rude or in appropriate. I thought only indian media sites will refuse such messages.

He did a good job. Should have hit that minister hard.

Now atleast more people know about 1984. Local dutch newspaper hardly writes about Sikhs, but now it wrote about this incident, and included about 1984.

Very good, respect to my bro Jarnail Singh.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF