Taksal!

Guest _Learner_

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

i only agree with some kinds of babek. but those people who don't even eat from langar is a bit extreme because even guru gobind singh ate from muslim households. sometimes it seems to the point of brahmins like if a non amritdhari touches there food, it will become polluted. brahmin practice "hello". not to totally bash on babek, but there are some extremes. i want to keep babek too, meaning i want to spot eating out. i'm trying to take it gradually. its probably hardest for those living alone.

1st of i would just like to say that i am not jatha bashing in any way, i am asking a serious question.

I wish to go Pesh on Vasiaki in southall and i heard that the Punj were going to be Taksali. I wanted to tell the Punj that i want to keep Bibek, would they let me do that because people tell me that keeping bibek is mainly an akj thing and they may not agree with it, Help me please!

Even though it is a blessing when the Panj Pyaarey tell you to keep Bibek you can still keep it without their blessing.

I dont think the modern Taksali Singhs keep Bibek. The older SIngh like Sant Kartar Singh Ji did though.

i only agree with some kinds of babek. but those people who don't even eat from langar is a bit extreme because even guru gobind singh ate from muslim households. sometimes it seems to the point of brahmins like if a non amritdhari touches there food, it will become polluted. brahmin practice "hello". not to totally bash on babek, but there are some extremes. i want to keep babek too, meaning i want to spot eating out. i'm trying to take it gradually. its probably hardest for those living alone.

Bibek is important because God resides in the body, so we need to be careful about what we put in the body. Food that is made with the head uncovered properly, chugli taking place. Gurmantar not being recited is not blessed food. We cannot put such things in our body. It is completely different from Brahamnism . Brahamins only eat from their own caste. Bibekis eat from REhatDhari Gursikhs it doesnt matter what caste because they dont believe in caste.

Guest purataan_jatt

lol bibek is a nihang thing...

I thought it was Guru Ji's rehat - not tied down to jathebandi

Ik

oankar

exactly, and nihangs aren't a jathebandi, they are an army, they are the khalsa fauj from Guru ji's times.

That is why Guru ji's rehat = khalsa fauj rehit and not jathebandi rehit

ive just looked up bibek on the link given earlier. What i would like to know from anyody who practises this or knows of ayonre who practises this is that, does is matter how the food was created in the field?

ie

is it organic, or has pesticides been used on it to kill thousands of innocent creatures that are a vital part of the food chain?

what about the countless thousands of little innocent creatures that live in the earth that were killed just to grow the grains?

what if the labourers who worked in the fields smoked or drank? ( and then hagged in the same field)?

what if this very same foodstuff is cultivated by an atheist?

or taken to the markets by a mona?

true you can see or hear the people making the roti say waheguru, but does the people who provided the foodstuff' jeevan matter?

if not then what is bibek, just the cooking and eating ?

ive just looked up bibek on the link given earlier. What i would like to know from anyody who practises this or knows of ayonre who practises this is that, does is matter how the food was created in the field?

ie

is it organic, or has pesticides been used on it to kill thousands of innocent creatures that are a vital part of the food chain?

what about the countless thousands of little innocent creatures that live in the earth that were killed just to grow the grains?

what if the labourers who worked in the fields smoked or drank? ( and then hagged in the same field)?

what if this very same foodstuff is cultivated by an atheist?

or taken to the markets by a mona?

true you can see or hear the people making the roti say waheguru, but does the people who provided the foodstuff' jeevan matter?

if not then what is bibek, just the cooking and eating ?

In regards to the killing of insects. This is like saying we shouldnt drive a car because it kills insects on the road. Life exist in everything including the air. As Gursikhs we try to live a life of strict discernment to the best of our ability. At times it means that some life may be killed like insects, or flies. but we are not intentionally killing these beings. All we can do is pray that these life forms get the human body and find their way to the perfect Guru . We are not Jains who try to aviod the killing of all life ( air, insects on the ground) We are Grishti Gursikhs we have to be practical we cant lock ourselves in a room and say im going to disconnect my self from the entire world because I dont want to destroy life.

Bhai Sahib i think you are confusing Bibek with Bahanism.

Bibek has nothing to do with touching or handling. What ever organic foods we get from the store we clean anyways for sanitary reasons. Bibek means the preparation/making of food by AmritDhari Sikhs.

The Jeevan of a person does matter when preparing food. If a person is thinking soley on God when preparing food then the food is blessed. If the person is not soley thinking or trying to think about God then the food is cursed. If a person does not make an honest and give to dasvand then the food is cursed. If the food is prepared by a person who doesnt have accepted Guru Ji then the food is not blessed.

Bibek is a puratan diet which is only being practiced mainl by Nihang and AKJ Singhs. There are a few Taksali Singhs who follow this discipline diet. For example Sant Kartar Singh Ji was a Bibekee.

There are also rehatnamas that say not to eat from Non- Gursikhs

hai Chaupa SIngh Ji or Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji (?)

jwkI rhiq n jwxIAY

gurmMqR nhI cIq[

aunkw Bojn KwiekY

ibsrih hir isau pRIq[

One who has no rehit

And does not meditate on the Gurmantar;

If you eat his food,

You will loose the love for God.

(Rehitnama)

Also there is

"Guru kaa Sikh...apaNy langar rasoee vich Sikh rakhey. Hukaie, Topeeaa, BhaadNee, chor, yaar, jooaybaaz, kurehiteeyaa na rakhai" meaining "A Guru ka Sikh...should keep only a Sikh in his langar and kitchen. Smokers, hat-wearers, shaven people, theieves, gamblers, kurehitees should not be kept" (Padam, 85). Bhai Chaupa Singh Ji

Also other various Puraatan rehitnamas also make clear the importance of Bibek for a Sikh. Bhai Daya Singh rehitnaama contains the following bachans: "Bhojanaad Moundit naal chhakey, Tankhaiyaa" or One who eats food with a Mona/non-Sikh, is guilty of a breach of conduct (Piara Singh Padam�s Rehitnamay pg. 72)

The Rby

In Sau Sakhee, sakhee #8 rehitnama it says clearly "So Sikh gur ka janeeay, Monay ann na khai" meaning: such is a Sikh of The Guru who does not eat the food of Monay/Non-Sikhs.

Prominent Panthic scholar Bhai Sahib Kahan Singh of Nabha, in his Encyclopedia of Sikh Literature on page 863 defines Bibeki as "...a Sikh who is strict and steadfast in following the principles of Sikh Dharma." The terms Bibek and Vivek are synonymous and have the same meaning i.e. 'sense of discrimination.' In Gurmat, it implies the unquestionable adherence to the command of the Satguru.

From http://www.akhandkirtanijatha.org/

mIxw AOr msMdIAw monw kuVI jo mwr hoie isK vrqn krih AMq krygw KuAwr ]6]

meenaa aar masa(n)dheeaa monaa kurree jo maar hoe sikh varathan karehi a(n)th karaegaa khuaar ||6||

Meenaas, Masandhs, those with haircuts and those who kill their daughters; If a Sikh eats from them, he will not be united with the Lord and will suffer at the time of death..

The word Vartan here pertains to eating from. Those people above where once Sikhs, but they broke their rehat by commiting a Kureheit thus Guru Sahib is saying one cannot eat from such people.

Gurbani Mentions

Bugiq igAwnu dieAw BMfwrix Git Git vwjih nwd ]

bhugath giaan dhaeiaa bha(n)ddaaran ghatt ghatt vaajehi naadh ||

Let spiritual wisdom be your food, and compassion your attendant. The Sound-current of the Naad vibrates in each and every heart.

and

scw caukw suriq kI kwrw ]

sachaa choukaa surath kee kaaraa ||

Pure is that kitchen, which is enclosed by spiritual awareness.

In regards to the killing of insects. This is like saying we shouldnt drive a car because it kills insects on the road. Life exist in everything including the air. As Gursikhs we try to live a life of strict discernment to the best of our ability. At times it means that some life may be killed like insects, or flies. but we are not intentionally killing these beings. All we can do is pray that these life forms get the human body and find their way to the perfect Guru . We are not Jains who try to aviod the killing of all life ( air, insects on the ground) We are Grishti Gursikhs we have to be practical we cant lock ourselves in a room and say im going to disconnect my self from the entire world because I dont want to destroy life.

the thing is that you ARE deliberatley killing these thousands of poor innocent creatures, if you're spraying them with pesticides. Also ask any farmer if when they plough the land whether thousands of poor innocent creatures are killed, and they will say yes. the plough cuts thru the soil and their poor innocent bodies.

why is the life of insects and creatures so unimportant to you as long as you get your atta and sabzi?

the thing is that you ARE deliberatley killing these thousands of poor innocent creatures, if you're spraying them with pesticides. Also ask any farmer if when they plough the land whether thousands of poor innocent creatures are killed, and they will say yes. the plough cuts thru the soil and their poor innocent bodies.

why is the life of insects and creatures so unimportant to you as long as you get your atta and sabzi?

insects do not feel any pain when killed because do not have a nervous system. Im not saying insects should be killed im saying some things are unaviodable. If we dont eat how are we going to survive. How are we going to do Bhagti.

God has given insects a short life span for a reason. There time is minimal and there existence as insects is inferior compared to our lives as Humans. It appears that you are suggesting that we dont eat so save the lives of insects which seems very illogical to me. DOes that mean we shouldnt drink water either because there is life in water. Should we not take showers or wash our hands. If we cant drink water then how is Amrit going to prepared. If we cant eat sabji or daal how will there be langar? Should we not breathe. Because life is in air as well. Im sorry but I dont believe in this Hindu Philosophy it has no place in Sikhi.

the jyot in insects is the same as in any living being. gurbani testifies to this. calling their lives insignificant is an insult to waheguru. Waheguru has given them a purpose and place.

Have you seen flies in the last moments of their life? thrashing about until their movements get slower and slower, until they give one final shake and die?

Have you ever seen a worm that has been cut in half? how it wriggles over and over, squirming in agony? i dont know how you can say that they feel no pain.

as for "their time is minimal", snakes live for decades, these get killed in the ploughing of the land.

It seems to me that you wish to say that as long as we eat and drink and fill our stomachs, who cares what happens to thousands and thousands of poor defenceless innocent beings that Waheguru has created.