Taksal!

Guest _Learner_

quote"As Gursikhs we should never kill,"

the life in the corn is killed to make your roti.

the life in vegetables is killed to make your sabzi.

everytime you breathe you kill.

everytime you drink water you kill.

what killing are you talking about?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the life in the corn is killed to make your roti.

the life in vegetables is killed to make your sabzi.

everytime you breathe you kill.

everytime you drink water you kill.

I sense influence of Prin. Surjit Singh. Too much reading of his articles? Do you seriously not know the difference between plant and animal life and their purpose of living? Can you prove from Gurbani that "killing" fruits/vegetables is prohibited? Have you thought about karmic lifecycle of plants vs animals? We are not Jainis and don't expect us to act like them. If Gursikhs are supposed to have Sat Santokh Daya and Dharam in their lifestyle then how would you describe Daya? Or do you agree with kala afghana that humans should only be merciful with one another and animals are exceptions?

I sense influence of Prin. Surjit Singh. Too much reading of his articles? Do you seriously not know the difference between plant and animal life and their purpose of living? Can you prove from Gurbani that "killing" fruits/vegetables is prohibited? Have you thought about karmic lifecycle of plants vs animals? We are not Jainis and don't expect us to act like them. If Gursikhs are supposed to have Sat Santokh Daya and Dharam in their lifestyle then how would you describe Daya? Or do you agree with kala afghana that humans should only be merciful with one another and animals are exceptions?

i am not debating the difference or smilarities between plants and animals. what im saying is that they both have the light of waheguru in them. Gurbani is testament to this. who are we to say that one has higher or lower status according to what we percieve as correct diet?

what im saying is that they both have the light of waheguru in them. Gurbani is testament to this. who are we to say that one has higher or lower status according to what we percieve as correct diet?

Humans are given “gyan” to determine what is wrong and right and what to eat and what not to eat. Light of Waheguru is in everything but that doesn’t mean everything can or cannot be eaten. Gurbani and Vaars tell us what to eat and especially what not to eat. Tell me where does Gurbani say vegetables cannot be eaten or eating them is killing them. Even Biology 101 can tell you that eating a fruit is not killing plant life but this is how they spread. Fruits fall off the tree for this purpose. This is how trees spread their species. Eat a fruit, plant its seeds and you have another tree but eat an animal and bury its bones you don’t get another animal.

Again, define Daya in Gurmat and how should we practice it?

Guest sarpanch

Everyones on about Guru made this Guru made that this dal that dal ,

End of the day GURU CREATED THE KHALSA - So I couldn't care less about any jatha which claims to be old School, the only thing that matters if the Khalsa nothing else

part 1 of 8

Maskeen ji clears everything ... what gurbani says on food and daya and how some singhs use it to spread veshnav maat in sikhi ...

Singh ji, I hardly think that avoiding meat consumption equates to spreading vaishnaav matt. Would you say DDT scholars such as Sant Gurbachan Singh ji, Sant Kartar Singh ji spread vaishnav matt?

Here's a post on meat from sikhawareness:

meat consumption interferes with spiritual growth. When we start meditating much of this energy is used in clearing obstructions in our energy channels. The energy channels transport life energy/prana/chi analagous to how blood vessels transport blood. Obstructions in these vital channels leads to disease. Heavy foods like meat cause blockages, they interfere with the cleansing process. This means that far more of the energy from meditation would be needed to cleanse these pathways, that energy could then not be used in enlightening the meditator. It's better to support bhagti with a proper diet conducive to the physical purification which is a part of the spiritual purification of bhagti. That being said, merely avoiding meat isn't good enough. One needs to also avoid/reduce toxins in foods, junk foods, and overly artificial foods as these also will slow down the process. Hence, we can see why a sattvic diet is emphasized.

Additionally, eating of meat creates karma, which just adds to the store of karm that must be paid off, further delaying progress in another way.

Most people see avoidance of meat as a compassion issue. But I personally feel that it has a lot more to do with the above 2 points. Additionally, heavy foods, including heavy non-meat foods, are impediments to calming down the mind for bhagti.