Tyar Bar Tyar 2

To read bani is not enough.

You can read as much Dasam Bani as you like, your bedroom wall may be plastered with pictures of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale, but if you are sitting on your backside chowing down on sholay and patooray when you are not fairing your mala, if you have not exercised since PE class at school, if you have never fired a gun, you have not wielded a sword except in the light tap-tap fashion of many gatka classes, if you have not had the regular experience of having to fight under the pressure of someone trying his best to pound your brains out of your ears, you will lose any battle that you are in.

I'm sick of reading stories of Sikhs losing fights, of being beaten senseless without giving as good as they get, and of reading that bani is the solution to every problem - problems that need to be resolved with actual physical effort.

You are not a Sikh without bani, but you aren't a Sikh if you are a weak-willed cowardly wimp either.

Grr,

- K.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can read as much Dasam Bani as you like, your bedroom wall may be plastered with pictures of Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale, but if you are sitting on your backside chowing down on sholay and patooray when you are not fairing your mala, if you have not exercised since PE class at school, if you have never fired a gun, you have not wielded a sword except in the light tap-tap fashion of many gatka classes, if you have not had the regular experience of having to fight under the pressure of someone trying his best to pound your brains out of your ears, you will lose any battle that you are in.

I'm sick of reading stories of Sikhs losing fights, of being beaten senseless without giving as good as they get, and of reading that bani is the solution to every problem - problems that need to be resolved with actual physical effort.

You are not a Sikh without bani, but you aren't a Sikh if you are a weak-willed cowardly wimp either.

Grr,

- K.

Have you ever been in a fight? If yes what was it like

VJKK VJKF

Hi,

I have to agree with you my friend, basically sikhs have lost the warrior edge. This is because of a number of factors:-

1. Training - we think that we are in no danger now in the present day, hence we don't train

2. If we do train, then it is in arts that are unrealistic

3. We are more obsessed with making money i.e. big homes, businesses, cars etc

4. We are into enjoying ourselves i.e. partying, drinking, etc

5. We have no unity within our community i.e. if we are having trouble who do we have as back-up? So when we do find ourselves in confrontational situations we don't retaliate becuse we will get out numbered.

6. We don't understand our rich sikh heritage i.e. saint soldier past

7. Our religion is being underminned and made a mockery of by other religions, so we get a bad opinion of ourselves

I believe that they are some of the reasons why we get beatings in every fight.

VJKK VJKF

the biggest reason is one which most Sikhs today dont like to admit

and thats probably over 80% of todays Sikhs are descednats of people who became Sikh around 150 years ago ie after all the fighting and risk was over

by that time is was politically correct to be a Sikh and that contiued under the British

therefore most of todays samosa singhs are from family structures and systems which have no connection with our warrior heritage

now Im not saying that its genetic but the influence of family and community groupings play a very large influence on the outlook of any person and this has definetly had an effect on modern day Sikhs

an example are the Afghani Sikh brothers

i can also add ideology

how can any person not remain unshaken when he hears the message of the Tenth master calling you to him with your head in your hand

to be a true sikh is not an easy path and not easy to combine with a easy comfortable existence and most people have adapted comfort zones in which to operate and still safely be sikh

instead all our valour today is wasted in inter fighting - looking for RSS-Hindu conspiracies = looking for deras and babas to hate - blaming Sikh girls and all the world for the faults and weaknesses that lie within all of us

we need to return to the brave and fearless mindset that guided the early Sikhs

lol luckily I am from warrior heritage. The great grandfather of my greatgrandfather was a Nihang and fought in battles against others. He took amrit from Akali Baba Poola Singh Ji.

On a serious note, I don't think if our ancestors were warriors or not makes a difference on us, only thing it can do is inspire us.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

u guys pointed out some of the weaknesses of a human kind:)

much needed sometimes, because it hard to see them sometimes and our mind gets confused > mix them up thinking its the "normal" way of living.

now..

lets point out the goodness/strength we have seen and experienced(felt by being around awesome people) with our own senses(intuitive as well)

anyone?=)

lets nt forget human beings(us) learn MOST visually.

in order to get better "opinion of ourselves", lets write down inspiring things we have seen PERSONALLY:)

i'll start,

- i have seen humble people...making others feel like they are SO IMPORTANT not because they have money, big house etcetc but because THEY ARE human and ARE IMPORTANT! otherwise god wouldve never created them (concept of Give respect in order to receive it back, and noone is lower thn other, all R part of each other )

- i have seen people paying out of their pocket for poor kids school/books

- people volunteering in hospitals to jus make the sick who has no family feel not so lonely

-see so many helplines listed and people being helped one at a time over the phone

-i have seen funeral/last rights of Army/military (people) who gave up their lives for others=)..nd not for money or benefits=)

looking to read some more to get insprired and see "good"ness is there

• 3 weeks later...

to be a sikh it means to learn and practice shaastar vidiya - knowledge of scriptures and bani, and to learn and practice shastar vidiya - the knowledge of our sikh martial art.

this is why we have always had buddha dal - the warriors, and damdami taksal - the nirmale.

Grr,

- K.

The nail has been smacked squarely on the head!!!

Well done Kalyug Singh. Truth is, the average pub brawling Panjabi is tougher these days.