Panth Prakash

Fateh!

Has anyone read this English translation of Rattan Singh Bhangoo's Panth Prakash? See here:

https://www.vedamsbooks.com/no48913.htm

Is it an accurate translation? Has it had some of the more controversial sections expurgated or is it a translation of the original version?

Thanks,

K.

There are very few translations of panth parkash available. One that I saw a little while ago had most of the original text included in there, instead of expunging it, the author gave his own view that "i do not believe this is correct in gurmat" in the footnotes. I cant remember the author, but the surname "dhillon" comes to mind. I will find out and let you know.

My brother just brought the translation by Kulwant Singh back from Panjab for me and I am half way through reading it.

The material on Banda Singh Bahadhur is shocking to an extreme. I'm still trying to digest it.

The translation is relatively satisfactory but the author sometimes uses antiquated English idiom and sometimes seems to project too much in the translation. But for a first attempt it is respectable. Luckily you have the Panjabi text next to the English to guide you.

It is apparently a translation of the version published by the famous Bhai Vir Singh, who I know has been accused of removing material he found questionable from old Sikh manuscripts. But even so, as it is, it is pretty controversial about Banda Singh and contains info not to be found elsewhere. If you can use your judgement and remove the miraculous bits then you have some good historical information.

Well worth a read if you can handle it. I'm waiting for volume 2.

Try the Sikh Missionary Society in Southall, if you want a copy in the UK. Thay may be able to send it to you.

You can find contact details online.

Just to add, about the book. Like most books from India it has spelling mistakes in it...lol

My brother just brought the translation by Kulwant Singh back from Panjab for me and I am half way through reading it.

The material on Banda Singh Bahadhur is shocking to an extreme. I'm still trying to digest it.

The translation is relatively satisfactory but the author sometimes uses antiquated English idiom and sometimes seems to project too much in the translation. But for a first attempt it is respectable. Luckily you have the Panjabi text next to the English to guide you.

It is apparently a translation of the version published by the famous Bhai Vir Singh, who I know has been accused of removing material he found questionable from old Sikh manuscripts. But even so, as it is, it is pretty controversial about Banda Singh and contains info not to be found elsewhere. If you can use your judgement and remove the miraculous bits then you have some good historical information.

Well worth a read if you can handle it. I'm waiting for volume 2.

yeahh i heard that too, Banda Singh Bahadhur going over to the dark side lol don want to go into details, but was wondering if anybody knows of any actual written account of it other than from the book?

fateh :)

yeahh i heard that too, Banda Singh Bahadhur going over to the dark side lol don want to go into details, but was wondering if anybody knows of any actual written account of it other than from the book?

fateh :)

You mean Banda Singh Bahadur became a Sith Lord? I have ordered the book, so hopefully I will be able to see what all the fuss is about soon.

To the person who is reading the book, has the author removed references to Chandi puja, havans, chatka and sukha consumption?

I guess I am going to have to read as many of the different versions as I can.

Does anyone know if Panth Prakash in the original Punjabi is online anywhere?

What is the oldest version available?

Thanks,

K.

There is Katha by Baba Santa Singh here: http://www.nihangsingh.org/Baba%20Santa%20Singh.html

Not all has been uploaded, but it is being done. Just like the book, you need to use your own budhi in places. :TH:

Muchas gracias, Veer Ji.

K.

Brought my copy of Panth Prakash from Vedams online about a year ago. I was expecting delivery from India to take weeks and was shocked when my well wrapped parcel arrived in 3 days! The original braj is there in Gurmukhi along with the translation. Unfortunately it is volume 1 of a proposed 2 volume set and the second volume is yet to be released (as far as I know). Thus it effectively goes upto the point of Banda Singh Bahadur and no further. Previous versions were available in Punjabi translation only, but many bits that the authors chose not to like, or not be in line with their opinion on Gurmat were removed!

One thing that got me wandering was, why is so much of our literature written in Braj? I read and speak Punjabi, but find that prose in Braj is not understandable. Historically the Sikh masses never used Braj to communicate - its a foreign tongue to Punjabis. The Japji Sahib is written in a beautiful early Punjabi and is nicely understadable.