Panth Prakash

Sikhi is not a Punjabi religion - hence why it contains verses is many dialects and languages in Gurbani. Braj was the language of the common people and was more widespread than Punjabi hence Guru Sahiban and Sikh Academia writing in Braj - i.e. Guru Arjun Dev Jis Shabd, Dasam Bani, Bhai Gurdas Ji's Kabbit Svaye, Puratan Ithihas, Rehitnamai and many early Nirmala Granths etc. For a serious student of Sikhi, learning Braj is a boon.

In fact - the reiteration of many classical Indian religious stories in Dasam Bani was purposefully done in Braj, in order to break the monopoly and inspire and give the common Indian man back his heritage which had been hidden by the Brahmans in Sanhanskrit code for millenia.

You mean Banda Singh Bahadur became a Sith Lord? I have ordered the book, so hopefully I will be able to see what all the fuss is about soon.

To the person who is reading the book, has the author removed references to Chandi puja, havans, chatka and sukha consumption?

I guess I am going to have to read as many of the different versions as I can.

Does anyone know if Panth Prakash in the original Punjabi is online anywhere?

What is the oldest version available?

I'm really interested inhistory as well as histiography (i.e. the techniques used in analysis when writing history). I think we need to compare an old relatively unaltered version against the modern "edited" ones. For instance, I have heard Bhai Vir Singh removed all reference to Bidhi Chand from Guru Hargobind's time because he used to be a daku. I don't know how true this is. We need to translate an early manuscript copy.

In answer to your question above, regarding what was removed. Meat eating isn''t and the point is made that Banda Singh introduced vegetarianism against what he sees as a Khalsa norm. In fact the author makes the point that one of later areas of contention between Banda and the Khalsa is the anger Banda felt at Guru Gobind Singh and Singhs slaughtering goats at his ashram.

It says: "They should eat mutton (Panjabi Bakran) after slaughtering the animal with one stroke."

It seems that sukha (marijuana) references have been removed as well as those relating to alcohol.

Reciting "Chandi Bani" is mentioned a few times.

I am a moderator on another Sikh site. I plan to review the book more comprehensively when I get time and post it there.

To be honest I am still reeling from the shock of what I have read.

As with all books, just bear in mind that views are the author's own, sometimes infulenced by rivalries, second hand info etc. In this case, we also need to remember that 'Bhangu' was not his real name but a nickname given due to his consumption of bhang.

Tha katha by Baba Santa Singh is from the unedited version.

One must understand why Bhangu projected misconceptions about Baba Banda Singh as facts. He wanted to write “true” version of Sikh history and convince the British and Murray that Khalsa was the true ruler of Punjab and this rule was granted to them by Guru Sahib himself. Then one must ask why this rule was taken away and why Sikhs suffered so much after Baba Banda Singh? To address this, Bhangu explained that Baba Banda Singh turned his back on Guru Sahib and indulged in anti-Sikhi practices for which he lost and the rule blessed to Khalsa was taken away. One can read the analysis of Panth Parkash in “Khalsa over 300 Years”. Sardar Karam Singh, Prof. Ganda Singh and other scholars have correctly pointed out fallacies in Bhangu’s work and we must keep in mind that after all it is an historical book written by a human being. Therefore, it is bound to have intentional and unintentional mistakes. All contemporary sources and eye witness accounts written mostly in Persian clearly state the reasons for Baba Banda Singh’s defeat and his steadfast faith in Sikhi. Not a single source mentions him diverting from fundamental principles of Gurmat. Ganda Singh too has refuted many of misconceptions. If one still insists on accusing Baba Banda Singh of apostasy in abundance of historical proofs proving otherwise then he must be a fool. The topic regarding Baba Ji has been discussed here http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=39296&hl=

Bhai Veer Singh Ji has written commentary on Sooraj Parkash not Panth Parkash. He did not remove anything but explained which portion is against Gurmat. He has also written about sources which helped Kavi Santokh Singh to write his books and naturally fallacies passed on.

Bhai Veer Singh Ji has written commentary on Sooraj Parkash not Panth Parkash. He did not remove anything but explained which portion is against Gurmat.

He did actually publish an edited version of Panth Prakash according to the translaion. This was the one used.

It could be true since some of his books are not published anymore. Could you provide more details. What is the name of the book (by Bhai Veer Singh)? When was it published? Did he edit it only or also provided translation (in Punjabi) with it? Does it say that only edited version is now published? I have a copy of Panth Parkash in Punjabi without translation and will try to examine it.

"All contemporary sources and eye witness accounts written mostly in Persian clearly state the reasons for Baba Banda Singh’s defeat and his steadfast faith in Sikhi. Not a single source mentions him diverting from fundamental principles of Gurmat."

That is untrue, nearly all contempary Islamic sources accuse Banda Bahadur and his men of henious crimes. Obvioulsy there is a high probability of propoganda, but the accusations match those given by Rattan Singh Bhangu.

PS - Biljla.

I'm glad you opened your mind up about Persian sources. I remember a time, not so long ago, when you would vehemently deny their validity.

I will try and find out about the Bhai Vir Singh thing.