Bhagat Dhanna Ji's Janam Divas

Bhagat Dhanna Ji was a Sikh Bhagat born in village of Dhuan Kalan near Deoli city, in the Tonk district Rajasthan, present day North West India in about 1415(Acc to some 14141).

He was born into a farmer family and he was not educated in any school or college. In the beginning he was an idol worshiper; but after that he became a Param Sant. He earned his livelihood by farming. From his early childhood, he was a very simple, hardworking and straightforward person. He enjoyed the company of saints and scholars. He also spent time serving the needy and holy men with dedication and devotion. When he grew up, after he stopped worshiping idols, he went to Kashi and he got the initiation from Swami Ramananda. He was an illiterate; but in the end he achieved high status and became a Perfect Saint

Three [shabad]s of Bhagat Ji’s Bani are included in the SGGS on pages 487, 488 and 695. Bhagat ji was a farmer by trade and was born into a Hindu family.

Guru Arjan dev ji say the following about Bhagat Dhanna Ji on

• SGGS page 488: “Hearing this, Dhanna the Jaat applied himself to devotional worship. The Lord of the Universe met him personally; Dhanna was so very blessed. ||4||2||”

• SGGS Page 835: “Naam Dayv, Jai Dayv, Kabeer, Trilochan and Ravi Daas the low-caste leather-worker, blessed Dhanna and Sain; all those who joined the humble Saadh Sangat, met the Merciful Lord. ||7||”

• SGGS Page 995: “O my mind, chant the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and cross over. Dhanna the farmer, and Balmik the highway robber, became Gurmukh, and crossed over. ||1||Pause||”

• SGGS Page 1192: “Dhanna served the Lord, with the innocence of a child. Meeting with the Guru, Trilochan attained the perfection of the Siddhas. The Guru blessed Baynee with His Divine Illumination. O my mind, you too must be the Lord`s slave. ||5||”

Bani from page 10 of Vaars: External Link to Bani A brahman would worship gods (in the form of stone idols) where Dhanna used to graze his cow. On seeing his worship, Dhanna asked the brahman what he was doing. “Service to the Thakur (God) gives the desired fruit,” replied the brahman. Dhanna requested, “O brahman, if you agree kindly give one to me.” The brahman rolled a stone, gave it to Dhanna and thus got rid of him. Dhanna bathed the Thakur and offered him bread and buttermilk. With folded hands and falling at the feet of the stone he begged for his service to be accepted. Dhanna said, “I will also not eat because how can I be happy if you are annoyed.” (Seeing his true and loving devotion) God was forced to appear and eat his bread and buttermilk. In fact, innocence like that of Dhanna makes the sight of the Lord available.

Bhagat Dhanna Ji’s Bani from page 487 of SGGS: External Link to Bani

• Aasaa, The Word Of Devotee Dhanna Jee: One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru: I wandered through countless incarnations, but mind, body and wealth never remain stable. Attached to, and stained by the poisons of sexual desire and greed, the mind has forgotten the jewel of the Lord. ||1||Pause|| The poisonous fruit seems sweet to the demented mind, which does not know the difference between good and evil. Turning away from virtue, his love for other things increases, and he weaves again the web of birth and death. ||1|| He does not know the way to the Lord, who dwells within his heart; burning in the trap, he is caught by the noose of death. Gathering the poisonous fruits, he fills his mind with them, and he forgets God, the Supreme Being, from his mind. ||2|| The Guru has given the wealth of spiritual wisdom; practicing meditation, the mind becomes one with Him. Embracing loving devotional worship for the Lord, I have come to know peace; satisfied and satiated, I have been liberated. ||3|| One who is filled with the Divine Light, recognizes the undeceivable Lord God. Dhanna has obtained the Lord, the Sustainer of the World, as his wealth; meeting the humble Saints, he merges in the Lord. ||4||1||

Page 488 of SGGS: External Link to Bani

• O my consciousness, why don`t you remain conscious of the Merciful Lord? How can you recognize any other? You may run around the whole universe, but that alone happens which the Creator Lord does. ||1||Pause|| In the water of the mother`s womb, He fashioned the body with ten gates. He gives it sustenance, and preserves it in fire - such is my Lord and Master. ||1|| The mother turtle is in the water, and her babies are out of the water. She has no wings to protect them, and no milk to feed them. The Perfect Lord, the embodiment of supreme bliss, the Fascinating Lord takes care of them. See this, and understand it in your mind||2|| The worm lies hidden under the stone - there is no way for him to escape. Says Dhanna, the Perfect Lord takes care of him. Fear not, O my soul. ||3||3||

Page 695 of SGGS: External Link to Bani

• O Lord of the world, this is Your lamp-lit worship service. You are the Arranger of the affairs of those humble beings who perform Your devotional worship service. ||1||Pause|| Lentils, flour and ghee - these things, I beg of You. My mind shall ever be pleased. Shoes, fine clothes, and grain of seven kinds - I beg of You. ||1|| A milk cow, and a water buffalo, I beg of You, and a fine Turkestani horse. A good wife to care for my home - Your humble servant Dhanna begs for these things, Lord. ||2||4||

Dhanna ji was a simple Indian farmer. He worked hard on his farm all day tending his crops. He used to go past the house of this Clever Pundit everyday on the way to his work on the farm. Dhanna Ji used to listen to the Pundit singing religions verses and carry out various ritualistic acts, which were beyond the understanding of this simple Jatt. He found these acts intriguing but never asked the religious man about any of the things that he had observed in the many years that he had gone past the Pundit’s house.

One day, Bhai Dhanna ji was passing the pundit's house and noticed that the religious man was feeding his Thakur - a stone idol. Bhai Dhanna ji was quite puzzled by what he was observing. On this occasion as he had some free time, he went and asked the Pundit. Dhanna Ji asked "Pundit Ji, What are you doing?"

The Pundit was very hungry and wanted to get this feeding over as soon as possible and really wasn't in a mood for Bhai Dhanna ji's simple inquiries. He replied, "Oh, nothing, I just feeding my Thakur. Now if you will excuse me..."

Bhai Dhanna ji found that incredibly funny, "What is the use of feeding a stone?"

Pundit, "That is not a stone, it is God. It’s Thakur!"

Dhanna, "Really? What happens if you feed the Stone.... I mean, what happens when you feed the Thakur?”

Pundit: "The Thakur gives you everything!! If you can please God, you will get everything. Now, I really must ask you to leave...I have a lot to do"

Bhai Dhanna ji liked this idea of giving a little food to this small God and getting back everything. So Bhai Dhanna ji asked the pundit if he could also have a Thakur.

At this time, the pundit's stomach was audibly complaining about lack of food. So he hastily picked up the nearest stone off the ground and said, "Here. First feed Thakur, then you eat. Understood! Goodbye." Saying that the pundit dived into the food left over by Thakur. “Lovely I really could not have waited any longer!”

Bhai Dhanna ji held the stone closely to his chest and hurried home. As soon as Bhai Dhanna ji got home, he first carefully and loving washed the stone. Having bathe the Thakur, Dhanna then cooked the best meal he knew - Saag and Makkee di Roti - for dinner. He placed it in front of Thakur and said, "Here Thakur ji, please eat this food, I have made it lovingly for you. Afterwards, I want to discuss many things with you. I need a new cow for example, and a few other simple request - but for now, please eat."

Saying that Bhai Dhanna ji sat in front of Thakur and waited. And waited. And waited. After a while, Bhai Dhanna ji said, "Look Thakur, I really have no time for your play. Come and eat at once! I have many things to do."

After several hours, Bhai Dhanna ji thought perhaps Thakur ji was annoyed at him – May be he has done something wrong. So Bhai Dhanna ji tried to persuade Thakur ji to forgive him: "Look here Thakur, I haven't eaten in a while. Now it is entirely possible that I have done something to annoy you but believe you me, we can discuss this much better after this Saag and Makkee dee Roti is in our stomachs." Still nothing happened. Slowly the night deepened. It was now pitch dark outside and the Thakur was showing no signs of eating the delicious food.

Bhai Dhanna ji was now getting angry and said, "Look Thakur, I have one nerve left and you are dancing on it. Either eat your food or I will....", Bhai Dhanna ji couldn't really think of anything else to say so he bust out in anger. Still nothing happened! The angry outburst had no effect on the Thakur.

Pretty soon, Danna ji could see light skies in the East and soon it was going to became daylight. Bhai Dhanna ji felt quite disoriented and confused. Sometimes Bhai Dhanna ji would curse the Thakur, sometimes Bhai Dhanna ji would hug the Thakur and sometimes Bhai Dhanna ji would start crying.

Two long and hungry nights and days passed in this manner. Dhanna ji tried every way to convince the Thakur to take the food. He tried with all the tricks that he knew, with all the love that he could muster, with all the pleadings that he knew, with all the anger – But nothing appeared to work. Dhanna Ji was a stubborn farmer but he was failing miserably here. However, his conviction had not faltered. He kept working on his begging and pleadings.

Then at amrit vela (early dawn) on the third day, when Dhanna ji was too weak to curse any more, Waheguru decided to intervene. To stop Dhanna from going mad, Waheguru appeared inside the stone. It was the most beautiful body of a young man. Dhanna ji lost all his anger and just stared at the young man.

Waheguru stepped out of the stone and said, "Dhanna ji, Sorry, I am late…” Dhanna ji interrupted and said, “I will warm up the food. Thakur Ji you must eat the food – You must also be very hungry” Dhanna Ji feeds Waheguru and eats food himself after staying hungry for over 2 days.

After, eating the food, Dhanna Ji say to Waheguru, “As I said to you two days ago, I have a few things to discuss with you. First there is the work ob the farm and then….”

Bhai Dhanna ji fell head over heels in love with Waheguru. He couldn't resist being with Waheguru. They spent the next few days literally arm in arm. Even at night, Bhai Dhanna ji would hold Waheguru 's hand and listen to Waheguru songs - Waheguru sang a lot - and would drift off to sleep. A week later, the Pundit was passing Bhai Dhanna ji's hut. Bhai Dhanna ji saw him and ran to him and said, "Oh, Pundit ji, you are the most wonderful man. I can never thank you enough for giving me that marvellous Thakur..."

Pundit, "What you on about??? OK, Oh, yeah, sure, anytime. Look, I am in a hurry. I am going to the big Pundit conference ..."

Bhai Dhanna ji: "But please come and drink some lassi (Milk Shake). Thakur ji makes the best lassi."

Pundit: "What now? What are you saying? Thakur makes something?"

Bhai Dhanna ji: "Oh yes! It’s the best in the world. Just look at him, how handsome he is!"

Pundit ji looked and indeed he could see that someone was pushing the cows on the farm. And yet there was nobody to be seen.

Pundit ji: "Who is controlling the cows. Who is that?"

Bhai Dhanna ji: "Why, that is Thakur ji, of course. Can’t you recognise him. Oh, you should hear him sing...It’s out of this world!"

Pundit ji was quite intrigued by now. And kept repeatedly asking Bhai Dhanna ji about Thakur. After a while Bhai Dhanna ji realized that Pundit could not see Thakur ji. Dhanna ji promised that he would talk to Thakur about this.

The Pundit left. Bhai Dhanna went to Waheguru and said, "Thakur ji, how come Pundit ji can't see you?"

Waheguru: "The Pundit really doesn't want to see me. He is more interested in my maid – Maya and he is captivated in it's entanglements. He has no real interest in me - only in my creation"

Dhanna ji: "But I don't understand. Why can I see you and others cannot? How can one begin to see you?"

Waheguru: "One has to become pure. And in this age, Dhanna ji, the only way to become pure is by reciting Naam."

Dhanna ji: "Naam?"

Waheguru: "Naam is the magic of this age. Even a few minutes of Naam Simran will bring the magic that is needed to see me."

Dhanna ji: "But, I haven't recited Naam. How come I can see you?"

Waheguru, at that point, touched Bhai Dhanna ji's forehead. Bhai Dhanna ji's surat went inside. Inside he saw that he, Bhai Dhanna ji, had done heavy tapas-aya for over many lifetimes. He had stood in water all night and in the hot sun all day. He had hung upside down for several lifetimes. He had been a celibate in one lifetime and a moni (ones who don't talk) in another. But he had progressed spiritually very little.

Then in his previous life, he had met an adept Guru who had given him Naam. And by doing Naam Simran for just one lifetime, Bhai Dhanna ji had become pure. Seeing Waheguru ji was the reward for his Naam from previous life.

Bhai Dhanna ji fell at Waheguru ji's feet and cried. Saying, "Please forgive this fool, I treated you as an equal..."

Waheguru ji picked him and held him close, singing songs of comfort, "Bhai Dhanna ji, now the time is right to leave. The way you see me now is the superficial way of meeting me. The real way is inside. Now you must start Naam Simran again and then I will meet you inside."

Saying that Waheguru ji vanished into thin air. Bhai Dhanna ji was enlightened now. He restarted his Naam Simran with each breath. Within days, Bhai Dhanna ji had parkash (sighting) of Waheguru ji within his mind and through this enlightenment; we today have the benefit of Dhanna Ji's Bani in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

When we bow to Sri Guru Granth Sahib, we are not just acknowledging the advice and lives of our ten Gurus but also the lives and Bani of 15 Sikh Bhagats.

Source: www.sikhiwiki.com

Dhan Bhagat Dhanna Jee ! :) Vadhaayee to everyone on Bhagat Jee's Parkaash Diwas.

The SikhiWiki article story seems to be incorrect.

Here is an article from Sikhism101 which shows that the story doesn't make sense according to Gurbani...

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/222

What do you know of Bhagat Dhanna Ji and the story of God revealing himself through a stone?

Bhagat Dhanna Ji's father's name was Bhai Maahee Ji. His family were a simple farmers who belonged to the Dhuan village, in the MaarvaaR area in Rajasthan. Bhagat Ji was born in 1415.

Bhagat Dhanna Ji obtained a 'Saalgaraam' (small stone idol) from a Brahman, and began doing its pooja (worship). He decorated the idol and prepared food, which he placed before it. However, the idol did not speak, nor did eat or do anything! Disappointed, he returned back to the Brahman and returned the stone idol.

He said to the Brahman, "The stone idol god seems angry with me, as he is not eating the food I prepare." The Brahman told him the real the truth of the matter to Bhagat Dhanna Ji: "This is a stone, it does not eat or drink, God is someone else." This incident had a profound effect on Bhagat Dhanna Ji and eventually he joined the Sangat of Gurmukhs like Bhagat Ramanand Ji and eventually Guru Nanak Sahib Ji.

----------RESPONSE TO THE FALSE STORY AND MIS-INFORMATION----------

Sadly, there are many stories told in our Gurdwaré by ignorant Katha-vaachiks and parchaariks (preachers). These distorted stories of Bhagat Dhanna Ji have been coined up by dubious individuals and groups who have an agenda. Gurmat is clear that idol-worship is fruitless and by worshipping a stone, one drowns with it!

So, how can we have a story that says that Bhagat Dhanna Ji made food and put if before the stone idol. The stone idol did not eat the food and Bhagat Dhanna Ji remained hungry, as he was not going to eat until the Lord eats first. Not being able to see His devotee go hungry and go through this torment, God revealed himself through the stone statue and ate the food. Seeing this miracle Bhagat Dhanna Ji became happy. This version of the story is nonsense. When our Guru is alive and with us, then why do we place such faith in such distorted stories?

Why not ask Guru Sahib for the answer? Well, if we placed more faith in Guru Granth Sahib Ji rather than twisted historians, ignorant parchaariks and RSS propaganda then we would not bee in this confusion.

ਨਾਮਾ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਕੰਬੀਰੁ ਤ੍ਰਿਲੋਚਨੁ ਅਉਜਾਤਿ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਚਮਿਆਰੁ ਚਮਈਆ ॥

ਜੋ ਜੋ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਾਧੂ ਜਨ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਧਨੁ ਧੰਨਾ ਜਟੁ ਸੈਣੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਦਈਆ ॥7॥

"Naam Dev, Jai Dev, Kabeer, Trilochan and Ravi Daas the low-caste leather-worker, blessed Dhanna and Sain; all those who joined the humble Saadh Sangat, met the Merciful Lord, Waheguru. ||7||"

(Ang 835)

Guru Raam Daas Ji is clear of how Bhagat Dhanna Ji met and experienced Waheguru. Is it through worshipping a lifeless stone? Is it through God revealing himself through a stone? No. It is through the "Saadh Sangat", the company of the Holy.

Furthermore Guru Arjan Dev Ji has also said in Gurbani how Bhagat Dhanna Ji became a devotee of God and became absorbed into Waheguru. And the answer is not that he saw God in a lifeless stone idol.

ਮਹਲਾ 5 ॥ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸੰਗਿ, ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਣਾ ॥ ਆਢ ਦਾਮ ਕੋ ਛੀਪਰੋ, ਹੋਇਓ ਲਾਖੀਣਾ ॥1॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਬੁਨਨਾ ਤਨਨਾ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕੈ, ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਚਰਨ ਕਬੀਰਾ ॥ ਨੀਚ ਕੁਲਾ ਜੋਲਾਹਰਾ, ਭਇਓ ਗੁਨੀਯ ਗਹੀਰਾ ॥1॥ ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਢੁਵੰਤਾ ਢੋਰ ਨੀਤਿ, ਤਿਨਿ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਿ, ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥2॥ ਸੈਨੁ ਨਾਈ ਬੁਤਕਾਰੀਆ, ਓਹੁ ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਸੁਨਿਆ ॥ ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਸਿਆ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ, ਭਗਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਗਨਿਆ ॥3॥ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਟਰੋ, ਉਠਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ ਮਿਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਸਾਈਆ, ਧੰਨਾ ਵਡ ਭਾਗਾ ॥4॥2॥

"Fifth Mehl: Naam Dayv's mind was absorbed into Waheguru, Gobind, Gobind, Gobind. The calico-printer, worth half a shell, became worth millions. ||1||Pause|| Abandoning weaving and stretching thread, Kabeer enshrined love for the Waheguru's lotus feet. A weaver from a lowly family, he became an ocean of excellence. ||1|| Ravi Daas, who used to carry dead cows every day, renounced the world of Maya. He became famous in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and obtained the Blessed Vision of the Waheguru's Darshan. ||2|| Sain, the barber, the village drudge, became famous in each and every house. The Supreme Lord Waheguru dwelled in his heart, and he was counted among the devotees. ||3|| Hearing this, Dhanna the Jaat (farmer) applied himself to devotional worship. Waheguru, the Lord of the Universe met him personally; Dhanna was so very blessed. ||4||2||"

(Ang 488)

"Hearing this, Dhanna the Jaat (farmer) applied himself to devotional worship" (ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਟਰੋ, ਉਠਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਗਾ ॥) Hearing what? Guru Sahib gives the answer to this question by reading the full shabad together. By reading the shabad by using the line "Hearing this" (ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ). Bhagat Dhanna Ji heard the praise of Bhagat Naam Dev Ji, he heard of the state of Bhagat Kabeer Ji, he heard the way of Bhagat Ravidaas Ji, and he heard of the popularity of Bhagat Sain Ji. Hearing this, feeling of loving-devotion and wanting to do Bhagti welled up within Bhagat Dhanna Ji.

Guru Arjan Dev Ji placed this shabad purposefully in Bhagat Dhanna Ji's Bani, illustrating that the ignorant people of Guru Sahib's time were being misled on how Bhagat Dhanna Ji began his Bhagti (devotional worship) through ridiculous stories about idol worship. Those stories have been dismissed with this shabad, as it is written in the shabad that the real reason for Bhagat Dhanna Ji being absorbed in Waheguru was through being inspired by hearing the spiritual state of Bhagat Naam Dev Ji, Bhagat Ravidaas Ji, and Bhagat Sain Ji.

If we try to find the truth from Sri Guru Granth Sahib, and instead of following stories passed down from others, which are mixed with lines of Gurbani, we should take the benefit of going straight to the source of truth. If we did this, then there would be no confusion or duality over Bhagat Dhanna Ji.

If Bhagat Dhanna Ji met Waheguru through worshipping a stone, then this means that as a result of Guru Arjan Dev Ji including the Bani of a someone who has supposedly found God by worshipping a stone, Guru Sahib has accepted that one can meet and experience God through a lifeless stone. But Guru Sahib's Hukam (order) is:

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥ ਗਲ ਮਹਿ ਪਾਹਣੁ ਲੈ ਲਟਕਾਵੈ ॥੧॥

ਭਰਮੇ ਭੂਲਾ ਸਾਕਤੁ ਫਿਰਤਾ ॥ ਨੀਰੁ ਬਿਰੋਲੈ ਖਪਿ ਖਪਿ ਮਰਤਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਜਿਸੁ ਪਾਹਨ ਕਉ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਕਹਤਾ ॥ ਉਹੁ ਪਾਹਨੁ ਲੈ ਉਸ ਕਉ ਡੁਬਤਾ ॥2॥

ਗੁਨਹਗਾਰੁ ਲੂਣ ਹਰਾਮੀ ॥ ਪਾਹਨ ਨਾਵ ਨ ਪਾਰਗਰਾਮੀ ॥3॥

ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਜਾਤਾ ॥ ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਪੂਰਨ ਬਿਧਾਤਾ ॥੪॥੩॥੯॥

"Soohee, Fifth Mehl: Within the home of his own self, he (the faithless cynic) does not even come to see his Lord and Master. And yet, around his neck, he hangs a stone (idol) god. ||1|| The faithless cynic wanders around, deluded by doubt. (By performing idol worship) he (only) churns water, and after the useless efforts, he spiritually dies. ||1||Pause|| That stone, which he calls his god, that stone pulls him down and drowns him. ||2|| O sinner! You are untrue to your own self; a boat of stone will not carry you across (and a stone idol will not carry you across the ocean of life). ||3|| O Nanak! Whosoever meets the Guru and obtains spiritual wisdom of God, comes to know that the Lord and Master, The Perfect Architect of Destiny is pervading and permeating the water, the land and the sky. ||4||3||9||"

(Ang 739)

Therefore, it is clear that Bhagat Danna Ji did not experience Waheguru through worhsipping a stone, but instead through the Saadh Sangat and being inspired by other Bhagats, which brought Bhagat Dhanna Ji to meet the True Guru, Guru Nanak Sahib Ji.

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/222

Maaf Karna Jee though Sikhwiki is not necessarily on so dodgy ground. The fact is that Bhagat Dhanna Jee did worship a stone idol - Bhai Gurdaas Jee's Vaar (such Vaars are approved by Guru Arjan Dev Jee and are the "Koonjee" or Key to Gurbani) states this. This view of history is also presented in countless other non-Sikh literature. GurBani in Guroo Granth Sahib Jee does not contradict this account of history.

If certain facts don't fit into our understanding of GurMat, we should not change history to make them more comfortable reading - we must continue instead on His Prema Bhagtee so that Guroo Jee gives us Sojhee of His Khel. :)

Dhan Bhagat Dhanna Jee :BOW:

Maaf Karna Jee though Sikhwiki is not necessarily on so dodgy ground. The fact is that Bhagat Dhanna Jee did worship a stone idol - Bhai Gurdaas Jee's Vaar (such Vaars are approved by Guru Arjan Dev Jee and are the "Koonjee" or Key to Gurbani) states this. This view of history is also presented in countless other non-Sikh literature. GurBani in Guroo Granth Sahib Jee does not contradict this account of history.

If certain facts don't fit into our understanding of GurMat, we should not change history to make them more comfortable reading - we must continue instead on His Prema Bhagtee so that Guroo Jee gives us Sojhee of His Khel. :)

Dhan Bhagat Dhanna Jee :BOW:

Agree :whs:

I find it unfortunate that most Sikhs have still not understood the real purpose behind Vaars. Bhai Gurdas Ji's work is the most authentic and completely in line with Gurbani. In fact, Vaars are not only based on Gurbani but derived from it which is why Guru Sahib never included them in Guru Granth Sahib. Bhai Sahib took many principles of Gurmat and explained them in simpler terms by giving stories, examples, metaphors etc. Story of Bhagat Dhanna Ji is no different. Second post of this topic proves that Gurbani rejects idol worship because it is a blind ritual which bears no fruit. If one wants to understand if Bhagat Ji worshipped idols then reading Shabads by him in Gurbani have to be the ultimate authority. I would trust Bhagat Ji’s bani and Guru Arjan Dev Ji and not some book. Gurbani rejects idol worship and Guru Gobind Singh Ji called idol worshippers “animals” in Akal Ustat.

I don't see why we have to give precedence to Vaars over Gurbani. In any case, here is the entire pauri.

ਬਾਮ੍ਹਣ ਪੂਜੈ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਧੰਨਾ ਗਊ ਚਰਾਵਣਿ ਆਵੈ॥ ਧੰਨੈ ਡਿਠਾ ਚਲਿਤੁ ਏਹੁ ਪੂਛੈ ਬਾਮ੍ਹਣੁ ਆਖਿ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ॥

ਠਾਕੁਰ ਦੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੈ ਜੋ ਇਛੈ ਸੋਈ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਵੈ॥ ਧੰਨਾ ਕਰਦਾ ਜੋਦੜੀ ਮੈ ਭਿ ਦੇਹ ਇਕ ਜੇ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ॥

ਪਥਰੁ ਇਕ ਲਪੇਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇ ਧੰਨੈ ਨੋ ਗੈਲ ਛੁਡਾਵੈ॥ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਨੋ ਨ੍ਹਾਵਾਲਿ ਕੈ ਛਾਹਿ ਰੋਟੀ ਲੈ ਭੋਗੁ ਚੜ੍ਹਾਵੈ॥

ਹਥਿ ਜੋੜਿ ਮਿਨਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਪੈਰੀ ਪੈ ਪੈ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਮਨਾਵੈ॥ ਹਉ ਬੀ ਮੁਹੁ ਨ ਜੁਠਾਲਸਾਂ ਤੂ ਰੁਠਾ ਮੈ ਕਿਹੁ ਨ ਸੁਖਾਵੈ॥

ਗੋਸਾਈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਹੋਇ ਰੋਟੀ ਖਾਹਿ ਛਾਹਿ ਮੁਹਿ ਲਾਵੈ॥ ਭੋਲਾ ਭਾਉ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ ॥13॥

Bhai Sahib writes the popular story about Bhagat Ji. He is not writing to validate the story. His purpose of writing it lies in the last line which means "Through innocent love (ਭੋਲਾ ਭਾਉ ) God is obtained". Bhai Veer Singh Ji also states that Bhai Gurdas Ji is not supporting the story and the essence of the Pauri has nothing to do with Bhagat Ji, Pandit or idol worship. What we learn from this pauri is that if one wants to obtain God then he must have strong devotional worship or strong faith and that faith must be innocent or free of desires. The only desire that must exist is to have darshan of God and that is only possible through strong faith not blind faith. The popular story is used only as an example to highlight the importance of faith, dedication and love. Once again, Bhai Sahib is not saying that story is true or idol worship is right. This Pauri is based on the following Shabad of Gurbani:

ਕਬੀਰ ਜੀ ਗਉੜੀ ॥

ਕਿਆ ਜਪੁ ਕਿਆ ਤਪੁ ਕਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਤ ਪੂਜਾ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਰਿਦੈ ਭਾਉ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥1॥

ਰੇ ਜਨ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਧਉ ਸਿਉ ਲਾਈਐ ॥ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ਨ ਚਤੁਰਭੁਜੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

ਪਰਹਰੁ ਲੋਭੁ ਅਰੁ ਲੋਕਾਚਾਰੁ ॥ ਪਰਹਰੁ ਕਾਮੁ ਕ੍ਰੋਧੁ ਅਹੰਕਾਰੁ ॥2॥

ਕਰਮ ਕਰਤ ਬਧੇ ਅਹੰਮੇਵ ॥ ਮਿਲਿ ਪਾਥਰ ਕੀ ਕਰਹੀ ਸੇਵ ॥3॥

ਕਹੁ ਕਬੀਰ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ ਭੋਲੇ ਭਾਇ ਮਿਲੇ ਰਘੁਰਾਇਆ ॥4॥6॥

Gauree, Kabeer Jee:

What use is chanting, and what use is penance, fasting or devotional worship, to one whose heart is filled with the love of duality? ||1|| O humble people, link your mind to the Lord. Through cleverness, the four-armed Lord is not obtained. ||Pause|| Set aside your greed and worldly ways. Set aside sexual desire, anger and egotism. ||2|| Ritual practices bind people in egotism; meeting together, they worship stones. ||3|| Says Kabeer, He is obtained only by devotional worship. Through innocent love, the Lord is met. ||4||6||

Notice that last line of the Shabad is almost the same as the last line of the Pauri by Bhai Gurdas Ji. In this Shabad we understand what “Innocent Love” really is and what idol worship is thought of in Gurmat. Bhagat Ji says that fasting, idol worship, blind rituals etc are all futile. People with blind faith worship idols but can never be free from maya. Only by innocent love (renunciation of greed, lust, ego and worldly desires) does one obtain God. This explains what Bhai Gurdas Ji is saying in the Pauri. Bhai Sahib chose to explain the same thing in a different manner and that is by using the story. Using a fake story to explain a moral message is one thing and supporting that fake story to be true is another.

Here are some more lines from Vaars and Gurbani which show that Vaars are based on Gurbani. Blue color is Gurbani and black is Vaars.

ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੋਆ ॥

ਆਪੀਨ੍‍ੈ ਆਪੁ ਸਾਜਿਓਨੁ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਥੰਮ੍ ਖਲੋਆ ॥

ਆਪੇ ਪਟੀ ਕਲਮ ਆਪਿ ਆਪਿ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰਾ ਹੋਆ ॥

ਸਭ ਉਮਤਿ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਵਣੀ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਨਵਾ ਨਿਰੋਆ ॥

ਚਾਰੇ ਜੱਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਆਪੇ ਹੋਆ॥

ਆਪੇ ਪੱਟੀ ਕਲਮ ਆਪ ਆਪੇ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰਾ ਹੋਆ॥

ਹੋਰਿਂਓ ਗੰਗ ਵਹਾਈਐ ਦੁਨਿਆਈ ਆਖੈ ਕਿ ਕਿਓਨੁ ॥

ਨਾਨਕ ਈਸਰਿ ਜਗਨਾਥਿ ਉਚਹਦੀ ਵੈਣੁ ਵਿਰਿਕਿਓਨੁ ॥

ਉਲਟੀ ਗੰਗ ਵਹਾਈਓਨ ਗੁਰ ਅੰਗਦ ਸਿਰ ਉਪਰ ਧਾਰਾ॥

ਪੁਤੀਂ ਕੌਲ ਨ ਪਾਲਿਆ ਮਨ ਖੋਟੇ ਆਕੀ ਨਸਿਆਰਾ॥

ਬਾਝੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਡੁਬਾ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥2॥

ਬਾਝ ਗੁਰੂ ਡੁੱਬਾ ਜਗ ਸਾਰਾ ॥29॥

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥

ਕੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਤਿਨਾਂ ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤੀਂ ਉਠ ਬਹੰਦੇ॥

ਕੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਤਿਨਾਂ ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵਾਲਾ ਸਰ ਨ੍ਹਾਵੰਦੇ॥

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਹਹੂ ਮਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਨ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੀ ਆਏ ॥

ਜੰਮਣ ਮਰਨਹੁ ਬਾਹਰੇ ਪਰਉਪਕਾਰੀ ਜਗ ਵਿਚ ਆਏ॥

ਓਹੁ ਵੇਖੈ ਓਨਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਬਹੁਤਾ ਏਹੁ ਵਿਡਾਣੁ ॥

ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਆਦੇਸੁ ਹੈ ਓਹੁ ਵੇਖੈ ਓਨ੍ਹਾ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਇਆ॥

ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋ ਲੁਣੈ ਮਥੈ ਜੋ ਲਿਖਿਆਸੁ ॥

ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਜੈ ਸੋ ਲੁਣੈ ਜੇਹਾ ਬੀਉ ਤੇਹੋ ਫਲ ਪਾਈ॥

ਸਤਜੁਗਿ ਸਤੁ ਤੇਤਾ ਜਗੀ ਦੁਆਪਰਿ ਪੂਜਾਚਾਰ ॥

ਸਤਿਜੁਗਿ ਸਤਿ ਤ੍ਰੇਤੈ ਜੁਗਾ ਦੁਆਪੁਰਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਬਹਲੀ ਘਾਲਾ॥

This proves that Vaars explain Gurbani meanings and Bhai Sahib could never have written anything that goes against Gurmat.

Dhan Dhan Dhan Bhagat Dhanna ji.

Dhan Dhan Dhan Bhagar Namdev ji.

Dhan Dhan Bhagat Prahlad ji and all other countless lovers of the Lord.

Salutations to these true lovers of Maharaj.