To All The Girls That Have Taken Amrit,,

Guest blahhhhhhh

What I dont understand is why are people so bothered about how others potray themselves and how they dress. I think that it is totaly unfair that every is targeting girls. And what about guys?

1. So if wearing jewellery is all about materalism then what about guys who wear desinger clothes and nice expensive trainers, etc.

2. In one post someone wrote that wearing make-up and jewellery is just as bad as cutting your hair, well mate you need to go back to ure sikhi basics if you think that!

3. I agree with the last penji - yes maybe a little here and there is fine jus cover up spots and things, but bare loads of make up for an amridhari girl not a good idea. Same with jewellery. But you shuold listern to what your panj pyaree tell you, if they tell you you can't, then you shouldnt really. There is always a difference in what people get told when they take Amrit and you should use what your panj pyaree tell you as your guidence. Some people get told they can't eat any meat, some get told they can get meat but not kutha/haram meat. Whatever you get told you should listern to that, not what other people tell you.

4. Sikhi is about learning and not about imposing on others. You shouldn't go around telling people what they can and can't do, and you shouldn't really keep writing on forums asking others ''Can I wear make-up?'', ''Can i wear earings?'', ''Can I bleach my face?''. Just do what YOU think is right. The more you read through Guru Ji's bani the more you will understand about how to practice your Sikhi. Then you will be about to decide for yourself what you think you should do.

Some Amritdhari girls don't wear dastars, some do. Just because some don't that doesn't make them less of a Singhni than those who do. And infact I have seen some who do wear a dastar that also do thier eyebrows! So what about thats then?

I could go on foreva but I think i've made my point!

Guru Fateh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some get so hostile when their way of thinking is challenged and then they have no arguement. Discussing is not about winning or losing, its about attaining more knowledge to better yourself.

One Bhen ji wrote that she feels insecure, that other's are looking at her without make up. To my understanding I believe you are looking for other peoples approval here. The only approval we should be looking for is of our Guru; Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Paying attention to what the public feels will drive you nuttz. To accept the way God made you takes courage and this courage to accept is developed by reciting Gurbani. Ciontemplate over the Shabad Guru and this insecurity will depart.

GuruFateh, No one is targeting women here and if people are then its really wrong. Guys are no different when it comes to make up and jewellery. If you want to discuss the guys have with materialism then it's a good idea to start another topic.

2. I didn't make this point, but just to speak on it. Wearing make up and jewellery probably isn't as bad, but when you do it shows you lack self confidents and you need these things to boast yourself up. Be confident in how God made you and don't worry about what people think its a waste of time.

3. Yes, i agree with you listen to what the Panj Pyare will say or have said to you. When i took Amrit, jewellery and make up were forbidden to be worn. As i didn't understand the why then, but when i started reading, understanding Gurbani the why was discovered. This bring us to the point that guys like to gel or whatever product you use to straighten out your beard so it stuck to your face. To apply a product to keep the hair healthy is one thing. But if your straigthen your beard out on the side of your face so its stuck to your face is about insecurity and an illusion. Let the hair grow freely and openly.

The point made about some amritdhari women wear dastaar and some don't is a completely different topic. There could be some insecurity lashed on to this topic aswell, but this has nothing to do with this topic.

The way I see it is about insecurity, illusions, worldly attachments and false confidents. Build your confident with Gurbani because that's the only thing that will go with you at the end. All this jewellery, make up, designer cloth are a waste of breath and time which take you no where. SIkhs it's your choice do as you wish, but listen to Gurbani and the Panj Pyare

Guest Guest
Why do some get so hostile when their way of thinking is challenged and then they have no arguement. Discussing is not about winning or losing, its about attaining more knowledge to better yourself.

One Bhen ji wrote that she feels insecure, that other's are looking at her without make up. To my understanding I believe you are looking for other peoples approval here. The only approval we should be looking for is of our Guru; Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. Paying attention to what the public feels will drive you nuttz. To accept the way God made you takes courage and this courage to accept is developed by reciting Gurbani. Ciontemplate over the Shabad Guru and this insecurity will depart.

GuruFateh, No one is targeting women here and if people are then its really wrong. Guys are no different when it comes to make up and jewellery. If you want to discuss the guys have with materialism then it's a good idea to start another topic.

2. I didn't make this point, but just to speak on it. Wearing make up and jewellery probably isn't as bad, but when you do it shows you lack self confidents and you need these things to boast yourself up. Be confident in how God made you and don't worry about what people think its a waste of time.

3. Yes, i agree with you listen to what the Panj Pyare will say or have said to you. When i took Amrit, jewellery and make up were forbidden to be worn. As i didn't understand the why then, but when i started reading, understanding Gurbani the why was discovered. This bring us to the point that guys like to gel or whatever product you use to straighten out your beard so it stuck to your face. To apply a product to keep the hair healthy is one thing. But if your straigthen your beard out on the side of your face so its stuck to your face is about insecurity and an illusion. Let the hair grow freely and openly.

The point made about some amritdhari women wear dastaar and some don't is a completely different topic. There could be some insecurity lashed on to this topic aswell, but this has nothing to do with this topic.

The way I see it is about insecurity, illusions, worldly attachments and false confidents. Build your confident with Gurbani because that's the only thing that will go with you at the end. All this jewellery, make up, designer cloth are a waste of breath and time which take you no where. SIkhs it's your choice do as you wish, but listen to Gurbani and the Panj Pyare

WIKID POST!!

its all about accepting God's will :)

naanak har kaa bhaanaa ma(n)nae so bhagath hoe vin ma(n)nae kach nikach ||1||

O Nanak, one who accepts the Will of the Lord is His devotee. Without accepting it, he is the falsest of the false. ||1||

you have written a good post here but when you wrote

i dont really think its fair. i mean she says that she feels insecure which is going to happen and if a bit of foundation is worn to just cover it up then that is not a bad thing, as long as it does not turn into something where you were it to attract males. i am very conscious about the spots and things on my face and hate it when people stare at me because of it and ask me stupid questions about it. i am a male and i also have that problem. but yh i dont wear make up obviously :)

its not that the bhenji above is asking for an aproval from those who look at her but it makes you feel so terrible when you know people are looking at you because spots and things make you look less attractive

but dont get me wrong, i like your post

sorry if i have offended anyone

Guest Papi
i mean she says that she feels insecure which is going to happen and if a bit of foundation is worn to just cover it up then that is not a bad thing, as long as it does not turn into something where you were it to attract males. i am very conscious about the spots and things on my face and hate it when people stare at me because of it and ask me stupid questions about it. i am a male and i also have that problem. but yh i dont wear make up obviously (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

its not that the bhenji above is asking for an aproval from those who look at her but it makes you feel so terrible when you know people are looking at you because spots and things make you look less attractive

People also look at you when you have a pugh and a dhari, lets remove that too shall we? :rolleyes:

It interesting to see how people justify their own lack of confidence. I do the same in situations.

how silly is this really, on the one hand your saying girls shouldnt wear make up because singhs cud get dirty thoughts but then surely thats a singh problem you havent tackled the very issue about make up instead you've gone off on a tangent about why it shouldnt be worn for some manmukhs sake!

in a previous post i think 3 above this one, someone commented that make up shouldnt be worn because it makes the body look "nicer" i wonder if this individual wears nice clothes or shoes because this makes the body look nicer, instead if he/she really agree with this they should be content just wearing a sack!

At the end of the day wearing make up doesnt effect anyone or you, so get on wiv naam jaapna and be in chardi kala!

loll your right!

you have written a good post here but when you wrote

i dont really think its fair. i mean she says that she feels insecure which is going to happen and if a bit of foundation is worn to just cover it up then that is not a bad thing, as long as it does not turn into something where you were it to attract males. i am very conscious about the spots and things on my face and hate it when people stare at me because of it and ask me stupid questions about it. i am a male and i also have that problem. but yh i dont wear make up obviously :)

but dont get me wrong, i like your post

sorry if i have offended anyone

Thanks for giving your take on this. It's much appreciated. What i was trying to do was define that layer of make up, even if it is a small amount applied. What does that small amount of make up mean. And as Bhenji said it boasted her confidents, and gave her the hope that no one is looking at her now. What i said at the end of my last post i defined as false confidents. And as i see it Bhenji has false confident with that make up on. The best thing to do is read Gurbani and attain pure true confidents that will go with us at the end. Otherwise we create an illusion for ourselves and we get stuck in worldly attachments. Also with the approval bit, i was saying that with the make up on she has acheived the approval of the people around her. (it's the unspoken approval I am talking about.) In certain society's you have to act, dress, and look a certain wayto be approved to meat the norm of that society. If you don't then people look at you a different way or don't want to associate with you. I feel bhenji was looking for this aproval and found it through wearing make up.

I know from experience, I am a unibrow SIngh and hair on the cheek bones, I could just hear all the laughs now. But I have accepted that's who I am and am confident in my look. Yeah society might see me as a person who is out of date, but I accept the way God has made me and I am proud of it. It wasn't always like this, but after reading Gurbani I was able to attain this confidents and acceptance.

Hey,

I was reading this topic and am quite confused...

Sikh- to what extent you are a sikh does not rely on the judgement of the mere mortals around you....you will reach enlightenment through your OWN actions regardless of anyone else...

The facts from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji

It is not explicitly forbidden to wear make up or jewellry as long as it doesnt involve deformation of the person:

srab seegaar tha(n)bol ras san dhaehee sabh khaam ||

All decorations, the chewing of betel to sweeten the breath, and the body itself, are all useless and vain.

ਜੈਸੇ ਸੀਗਾਰੁ ਕਰੈ ਦੇਹ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਨਾਮ ਬਿਨਾ ਨਕਟੇ ਨਕ ਕੀਕ ॥੩॥

"They may adorn and decorate their bodies, but without the Naam, they look like their noses have been cut off. ||3||"

(Ang 1336)

ਮਾਨੁਖੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਬੂਝੇ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਆਇਆ ॥

ਅਨਿਕ ਸਾਜ ਸੀਗਾਰ ਬਹੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਜਿਉ ਮਿਰਤਕੁ ਓਢਾਇਆ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

"Without understanding (the value of human life), his coming into the world is useless.

He puts on various ornaments and many decorations, but it is like dressing a corpse. ||Pause||"

(Ang 712)

and from SRM...

ਚ) ਸਿੱਖ ਮਰਦ ਅਥਵਾ ਇਸਤ੍ਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਨੱਕ, ਕੰਨ, ਛੇਦਨਾ ਮਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਹੈ ।

"k. Piercing of nose or ears for wearing ornaments is forbidden for Sikh men and women."

(SRM: Ch. 10, Article 16)

The issue is...why where make-up? generally confidence or to seem more attractive...

The ideal situation that one (girl or guy) gains enough confidence from them being a Gursikh that they need not feel need anything extra.

At the end of the day.... those who judge those with make up need to stop judging... unless they're not bothered about pertaining the sikh way of life- if you judge and are athiest ... then its okay to judge :D

If you are being judged...dont ask about whether they are right or not....

Just think in the way of true sikhi....the Sikh way of life in essence is about simplicity, minimalism, and non-materialism to an extent...

If you FEEL yourself that wearing make up is okay, then go for it...but if at some point you feel its wrong..don't spend life worrying about all that time you wore it, just continue to do what you feel is right in the way of sikhi.

Generally with things like this, anything more is less in sikhi...

If you seek to justify wearing make-up and find nothing, then maybe there is no justification...

with things like this, surely its better for people to express quotes to back up their "yes" or "no" views? Hearsay and opinions shouldnt be the decision on this.

so many replies.... cant belive ppl actuallt think its OK to wear it.

above post- spot on, a bibi's make up should be her kakaars

why would anyone want to wear make up? u feel insecure? gurujee says give ur head to me and dont care about ppl...... so i take it wen we matha tek we bow our head but we dont GIVE our head to guruujee.

theres NO need for any bibi to feel insecure..... ur sikhi shud make u feel proud of who u are and what ur representing : )

gurfateh!

so many replies.... cant belive ppl actuallt think its OK to wear it.

above post- spot on, a bibi's make up should be her kakaars

why would anyone want to wear make up? u feel insecure? gurujee says give ur head to me and dont care about ppl...... so i take it wen we matha tek we bow our head but we dont GIVE our head to guruujee.

theres NO need for any bibi to feel insecure..... ur sikhi shud make u feel proud of who u are and what ur representing : )

gurfateh!

Dead on P kaur, you went right to the point, no floating around.

Thanks