3 Students Thrown Out Of Exams For Wearing Sikh Article Of Faith

3inchtaksali.jpg

A Young Sikh Girl was taking her socialogy exam , when a teacher noticed the butt of her kirpan sticking out of her jumper. The Girl was then asked to remove the kirpan as it was against policy for her wear her article of faith and do an exam said the teacher. The girl refused and explained to them the religious meanings, the girl was told to leave her examination and premises if she did not take off her kirpan. The young girl refused as she did not give up or comprimise her religous and may i add legal rights. Two other Sikh Students from the colleage went to protest against the disscussion made, they two were told to leave the premises if they did not remove their kirpans. Local Sikh Community is in talks with the colleage at the moment.

local MP: Ms Patricia Hewitt MP

Party: Labour

Address: House of Commons, London, SW1A OAA

Tel:- 0116 251 6160

Fax: 0116 251 0482 Email: hewittph@parliament.uk

Web page: www.patricia-hewitt-mp.co.uk

Constituency: Leicester West Address: Ground Floor Front, 5 Frog Island, Leicester, LE3 5AG

College Details: Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College

University Road

Leicester LE1 7RJ spacer.gif Tel: (0116) 2231900 Fax: (0116) 2231999

http://www.wqeic.ac.uk/

Guru Tegh Bahadur Gurdwara - Leicester M.S Sangha (President)Phone No: 0116-2742453, 0116-2760517

Email: gtb_gurdwara@hotmail.co.uk

Frontline Punbjabi Youth Comments:

Could you please do something if you are an Sikh organisation, maybe dicuss this with local police and colleage. Could someone please email me the legislation about Sikhs and the Kirpan.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh!

Do these people never learn?

Someone has posted the relevant laws here:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=44205

Let 5 Amritdhari tyar bar tyar go and explain the situation to the principal, taking a harcopy of the relevant legislastion.

K.

if there are some rules with allow you to wear kirpan as per law ... search for them and take its photo copy and always keep that with you when ever in school ... i think that would help in future ...

if there are some rules with allow you to wear kirpan as per law ... search for them and take its photo copy and always keep that with you when ever in school ... i think that would help in future ...

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

The situation is being dealt with by sevadars from United Sikhs , Scys nottingham and Leicester Sangat. Please hold on contacting the college at the moment as this will aid our gursikh bro and sisters to get back to college or if need be take a legal route.

waheguru jee ka khalsa waheguru jee kee fateh

Kuljit Singh

This sounds fishy. Why has the teacher only noticed the Kirpan now during the exam. What about when these Amritdharis were sitting in class learning, didn't any teacher notice the Kirpan then. This just doesn't sit right in my stomach. Something really fishy is going on here.

I've just found out the BSSF have contacted the MP, Patricia Hewitt with the following letter.

To Right Hon Ms Patricia Hewitt MP,

I am writing from the British Sikh Student Federation regarding the exclusion of three Students who were not allowed to take their exams due to them wearing their article of faith, the Kirpan. The incident occured at the Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College in Leicester. The first student claims to have been asked to remove her kirpan as it was termed against college policy to allow it during exams. The student protested her right to wear the kirpan and also mentioned that she was allowed to wear the kirpan under British Law, but the Vice Principal of the College asked the Student to leave the exam hall and was not allowed in the college until she removed the kirpan. Furthermore, two other sikh students came to know of this and protested in support of the other sikh student and they were also subsequently removed from the college.

There have been a number of similar cases in the past, where due to lack of knowledge or ignorance, schools have put sikh students under stress for simply practicing their faith. The Kirpan is an essential and integral part of a baptised Sikhs life and the following legislations support the right for Sikh students to wear the Kirpan to school - Criminal Justice Act 1988, chapter 33, 49A and Offensive weapons Act 1996. We would like for the school to repel their original decision and allow the students to go back to their college and continue studying, espically as it is exam time.

I would also request for yourself to contact the school and demand that the decision of the school be revoked, and if the school refuses to do so, then we will be left with no choice but to follow through with legal action against the school as was the case in the Sarika Watkins Singh's Kara Case in Wales.

Thank you very much for take your time to hearing this case and will look forward to see a positive development in the case and we will offer all support and assistance that may be required in solving this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

British Sikh Student Federation

Benti to everyone to email Ms. Hewitt immediately. The more email the better it is. Please try and write your own emails (even if they are short ones!). Below is an idea of what you can write:

Dear Ms Hewitt

RE: Three Leicester Sikh College Pupils Removed from sitting their Exams because of their Kirpaan

I am emailing you in regards to a Sikh student being asked to leave the exam hall because he was wearing a Kirpan. As you will know, the Kirpan is part of the religious uniform of initiated Sikhs. This is recognised by the British Law and Sikhs are protected in their right to wear the Kirpaan.

The Sikh pupil who attends Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College in Leicester was sitting his Sociology exam today (12th May) at 9am. At 9.15am one of the examiners saw his Kirpaan poking out of his jacket. When he was asked whether he was wearing a dagger. He replied he was wearing a Kirpaan. The Vice-Principal was called in who said that he was not allowed to wear the Kirpaan and be in the exam. When two other Sikh students who also wear the Kirpaan protested at the Vice-Principal's decision, they too were summoned out of the exam.

I am shocked and appauled that a school can be so ignorant about the Sikh faith and the British Law. Three Sikh students' exams were disturbed and they were caused immense grief as a result of a group of teacher's prejudice.

I urge you to please take immediate action and request the school recognises the legal right of the Sikh college students to wear the Kirpaan and be able to sit their exams without any hinderance.

I have CC'ed MP Rob Marris (Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for UK Sikhs) and MP John McDonnell (Chair of All Party Parliamentary Group for Punjabis in Britain)

Below are details of the college:

Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College

University Road

Leicester

LE1 7RJ

Tel: (0116) 2231900

Fax: (0116) 2231999

http://www.wqeic.ac.uk/

I hope to hear from you as soon as possible on this case.

Regards,

just to clariffy:

THE FIRST STUDENT WAS A GIRL WHO WAS ASKED TO LEAVE HER SOCIOLOGY EXAM 15 MINS IN!

THE NEXT 2 STUDENTS WAS A GIRL AND A BOY WHO WERE HER FRIENDS AND WENT TO TALK TO THE PRINCIPAL 2 C Y SHE WAS KIKED OUT N 2 EXPLAIN ABOUT DA LAW N SIGNIFICANCE OF DA 5'KS

THEY WERE ALSO ASKED TO 2 LEAVE COLLEGE IF THEY WRENT GNA REMOVE THEIR KIRPANS

UNITED SIKHS, LEICESTER SANGAT AND OTHERS ARE HELPING THE CASE..