3 Students Thrown Out Of Exams For Wearing Sikh Article Of Faith

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just found out the BSSF have contacted the MP, Patricia Hewitt with the following letter.

To Right Hon Ms Patricia Hewitt MP,

I am writing from the British Sikh Student Federation regarding the exclusion of three Students who were not allowed to take their exams due to them wearing their article of faith, the Kirpan. The incident occured at the Wyggeston & Queen Elizabeth I College in Leicester. The first student claims to have been asked to remove his kirpan as it was termed against college policy to allow it during exams. The student protested his right to wear the kirpan and also mentioned that he was allowed to wear the kirpan under British Law, but the Vice Principal of the College asked the Student to leave the exam hall and was not allow in the college until he removed the kirpan. Furthermore, two other sikh students came to know of this and protested in support of the other sikh student and they were also subsequently removed from the college.

There have been a number of similar cases in the past, where due to lack of knowledge or ignorance, schools have put sikh students under stress for simply practicing their faith. The Kirpan is an essential and integral part of a baptised Sikhs life and the following legislations support the right for Sikh students to wear the Kirpan to school - Criminal Justice Act 1988, chapter 33, 49A and Offensive weapons Act 1996. We would like for the school to repel their original decision and allow the students to go back to their college and continue studying, espically as it is exam time.

I would also request for yourself to contact the school and demand that the decision of the school be revoked, and if the school refuses to do so, then we will be left with no choice but to follow through with legal action against the school as was the case in the Sarika Watkins Singh's Kara Case in Wales.

Thank you very much for take your time to hearing this case and will look forward to see a positive development in the case and we will offer all support and assistance that may be required in solving this matter.

Yours Sincerely,

British Sikh Student Federation

Guys if your gonna write to people at least get it right! It was a girl who was asked to leave the exam hall, not a guy in the first instance.

As Kuljit Singh Ji has said please avoid contacting the school, as some of the lead local and legal bodies have already done so, and we need to let them do their thing now.

Thanks all

If this were to be made into big news, all over the media, they might start debating, if kirpans should actually be allowed, and i know most of the country are not in favour with it. So what would that mean, could they end up changing the laws?

Don't mean to be so negative, just that although we know and understand it, most people in the UK don't, if it were to end up like Sarika's kara case, might not go so well this time.

Has someone contacted any media yet. I think its not right for anyone and everyone to start contacting media or ministers as we might loose credibility with conflicting information being given. I think if anyone can post here about the actions being taken by united sikhs and other organisations. I think if there is legislation I am sure school can be sued and with "kara case" precedence in wales the school will be carefull and will try to avoid having to pay heavy compensation. Also if media is contacted by united sikhs they will get a news and we will get the issue recognised.

Please anyone who knows whats happening update here.

Sangat Ji

As mentioned above, the school has been liaising with representatives from Leicester Sangat, as well as the other organisations above.

Please hold fire on contacting the school for the meanwhile, escpecially as there seems to have been a number of stories of what happened.

We need to ensure the safety of the gursikhs and other Sikh children also attending the school and ensure the relationship between the Schools, Local Authorities and the Sikhs is healthy.

If any queries, please email: Info@LeicesterSikhs.com

Pul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru Ji.

Just been reading over the posts, and although its amazing to see so many immediately inspired sikhs racing to voice an opinion, protocols need to be followed in such a situation.

If this issue gets resolved in its own course in coming days, it will make angered comments seem barbaric and if anything make sikhs look like a haphazard band of renegades. Rather than intellectual, calm and in control of themselves and their views.

It seems as long as those directly involved and great organisations such as leicestersikhs keep us involved and request action, the best thing to do is watch this space.

Its shocking to know that one of the most culturally diverse colleges in such a culturally diverse city has not seen noticed this non-issue earlier.

And just as people said, if you are going to get every sikh to email in and escalate a localised issue into a national one- then remember its a her and not a him!!!

With Respect,

We should use this as another wake call and possibly act by going to the extent of carrying the appropriate legisation with us to school to share with other senior teachers, even if you are not a practicing sikhs yet.

This is not the first time this has happenend and unlikely to be the last, so we need some collective action!!!