Becoming Amritdhari :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

Daas was planning to recieve Amrit, I was hopping the Sangat could answer my questions...

1) Can I listen to the Baniya on audio, instead of reciting it because I can't read Gurmukhi... (iPod).

2) My parents are Panjabis... not like full Amritdharis... So what could I do?

3) What else do I have to do, do keep my rehat?

Please let me know any other tips you want to give :)

1) Yes but I would suggest to take up Santhiya asap, if you let us know where you are from we should be able to point you in the right direction.

2) My parents arent Amritdhari either, I havent had any problems. What do you what could you do?

3) Main thing is not to break rehit by taking any intoxicants, removing kesh, having sex before marriage and eating meat which is not jhatkad. Although different schools of thought will give differing opinions on the latter.

Ideally wake up every morning between 1-5am for Amritvela, have ishnaan and then recite the panj bania, Jap Ji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tav Prasad Saviaya, Chaupai Sahib, Anand Sahib. Evening time recite Rehras Sahib and Aarti / Aarti Aarta and before bed Rakhia Da Shabad and Sohila.

Thats the very basics which you probly already know, if you want any more details let us know.

Gurbar Akaal

1) Yes but I would suggest to take up Santhiya asap, if you let us know where you are from we should be able to point you in the right direction.

2) My parents arent Amritdhari either, I havent had any problems. What do you what could you do?

3) Main thing is not to break rehit by taking any intoxicants, removing kesh, having sex before marriage and eating meat which is not jhatkad. Although different schools of thought will give differing opinions on the latter.

Ideally wake up every morning between 1-5am for Amritvela, have ishnaan and then recite the panj bania, Jap Ji Sahib, Jaap Sahib, Tav Prasad Saviaya, Chaupai Sahib, Anand Sahib. Evening time recite Rehras Sahib and Aarti / Aarti Aarta and before bed Rakhia Da Shabad and Sohila.

Thats the very basics which you probly already know, if you want any more details let us know.

Gurbar Akaal

Please Shed some light.

Gurbar Akaal

Please Shed some light.

Whats the question?

The khrehit is eating halal, in Dal Panth and Hazoor Sahib jhatka is still done as per puratan times but in England theres no need to do jhatka or eat meat hence why the majority of Singhs / Kaurs are vegetarian. Personally I am vegetarian.

1) Can I listen to the Baniya on audio, instead of reciting it because I can't read Gurmukhi... (iPod).

Doing Nitnem is compulsory. Nitnem can be recited or listened to according to the Sikh Rehit Maryada. However, if one doesn't know how to read Gurmukhi, then he or she must learn as soon as possible. With listening to Nitnem, you need more concentration, but if you read and listen at the the same time you will find it is easier to concentrate and join your mind to the Baani.

I know some Singhs who have used the Nitnem Videos made by RajKaregaKhalsa.net. It has a slide show of the Paath (Gurmukhi + English Translation + Romanized) as well as Bhai Jarnail Singh Jee (Damdami Taksaal) reciting the Paath. So its a great opportunity to listen but also learn Paath.

Morning Nitnem Banian are:

1) Japji Sahib

2) Jaap Sahib

3) Tve Prasaad Svaiyye

4) Benti Chaupai Sahib

5) Anand Sahib (full)

2) My parents are Panjabis... not like full Amritdharis... So what could I do?

A lot of Amritdhari youngsters in the West have non-Amritdhari parents.

I would suggest that you sit down with your parents and discuss with them that you wish to take Amrit. In some cases parents may be reluctant to give permission to take Amrit BUT that is usually because of some misconceptions or worries they have which can usually be cleared quickly with patients and just talking through with them.

Some parents may think it will be hard for Amritdharis to get married. But you can assure that Gursikhs will find you a rishtaa when you are ready for marriage and that are many young Gursikhs. (Perhaps take them to a Gurmat camp, Rainsbai or a youth event so that they can see young Gursikhs).

Some parents may think that taking Amrit you will hate them and look down at them. It is up to you to live up to a good character. If you project hate, inpatience, and anger towards others, then your parents will come to hate Amrit and Sikhee. But if you show pyaar and respect to your parents and keep calm even if they say something annoying to you, then they will come to respect you and other Gursikhs.

Some parents may think that Amritdharis may not get good jobs or do good at education. Again, you can reassure them that taking Amrit doesn't mean you are turning your back to the world. Guru jee says live in the world, go to school, do well, and do an honest living. Tell them that Guru jee will help you even more and that you can do even better in your life with Guru jee's blessings and that there are many successful Gursikhs with good jobs.

Do Ardaas and keep Bharosaa (faith) in Guru jee.

3) What else do I have to do, do keep my rehat?

For Khalsa Rehit please check the below:

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/67

One thing to remember Veer jee, people will give you many different opinions on what to do and what not do. Respect everyone's view, BUT ultimately our Guru is not an individual, any group, any book or any scholar. Our Guru is Sri Guru Granth Sahib jee. Guru Jee is ULTIMATE and SUPREME TRUTH. So, when someone says something to do in regards to Gurmat always check it against the teachings of Sri GurU Granth Sahib jee.

Some people may say "Eating meat is okay, but don't eat Halaal", someone else will say "Meat means no to all meat, whether halaal or jhatkaa". Some people may say you don't have to do Naam Simran, or don't have to keep full Kesh. There are some really weird views going around and as many good people who will experience, you will come across people with distorted views of Gurmat (unintentional or intentional - Guru Jaane).

So respect all, but follow what Gurbani sanctions alone.

Guru jee is Sampooran Guru and clears all "shankke" (doubts).

As meat was raised, please check this:

Can Sikhs eat meat

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/77

If Sikhs can eat meat, then why did the Guru Sahibs go hunting?

http://www.sikhism101.com/node/171

Please let me know any other tips you want to give :)

Please read this article on this website: http://www.sikhism101.com/node/293. "Advice for people planning to take Amrit."

Bhul chuk maaf.

Im pretty sure the stance of Dam Dami Taksal is the same but they will only do jhatka in Dharam Yudh.

AKJs i dont know about, I guess their strict vegetarians in any case. Someone from the jatha may be able to clarify.

panj payre say NO to meat.... all u need to do is listen to THEM.....

do not eat meat at all!

Im pretty sure the stance of Dam Dami Taksal is the same but they will only do jhatka in Dharam Yudh.

AKJs i dont know about, I guess their strict vegetarians in any case. Someone from the jatha may be able to clarify.

panj payre say NO to meat.... all u need to do is listen to THEM.....

do not eat meat at all!

Different Panj Pyare say different things, some may say no meat at all, some may so no halal, some may say only jhatka and some may say only jhatka in dharam yudh / survival situations.

If we give people the whole story and not half truths its better for everyone, people wont get confused and can make up their own minds.