A Honest Review Of The New Sikh Channel

The Sikh Channel Reviewed By Frontline Punjabi Youth Sevadars

The Sikh Channel is the first channel dedicated to the Sikh Faith. It is totally devoted to Dharmic seva.

b]Positives[/b]:

• The visuals add to the effect of the Gurbani, helps concentration.

• The idea of having a channel dedicated 24/7 to Sikhi is amazing.

• Parchaar can be reached to all of the U.K from one place (that is a powerful tool if used)

Negatives:

· The writing going across the screen giving pump to the people who donated money (this is anti sikhi) as it is all to do with ego. You learn nothing from reading them.

· The protest for bow Gurdwara should have been going across the screen, not a name of a person that gave £10 pound. Waheguru knows all; there is no need to mention who gave money, if someone is giving money to get their name across the screen. They will not reap fruits of their seva as their motive is pump and ego.

· The channel could be more Panthic; it is good to see the dedication to Gurbani. But why not put up details of the bow protest (going across the screen) as that is also for the stakar of Gurbani.

· Instead of the names for pump, Sikhi events and darbars across the country should be going across the screen.

· Sikhi is about miri and piri and I have not seen the panthic side to the channel yet. Like its 25 years since June the information about the rally and documentaries about the Sikh genocide should be playing and all the darbars held in the remembrance of the victims should be going against the screen.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

This is so true, sometimes I feel the Sikh channel is going to be corrupt, all they have is all day is Sponsors name, look at Panjab Radio, you sponsor them, and they don't say your name, because they got better stuff to say than just names...

Sikh Channel need to pull themselves together! Stop the "Support call 0800 blah blah blah"... Its ok if its on your website... but you shouldn't beg people to sponsor, its up to them... So all I can say is, Take the names off the sponsors, and the "support 0800 blah..." You should be broadcasting the Bow Protest / 1 Million Chaupai Sahibs!, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Thank you for the review and the positive and negative comments.

The panel will review the negatives and discuss them.

You have to understand, there is one guy who has given us the initial funding - out of his own pocket. He has handed majority of the control over to the youth. The idea being that the elder generations have run gurdwaras and organisations and had their chance to do something big for the panth. His idea was to start this channel, hand it to the youth to see what "we" can do and give us the chance.

We need to keep up with Sky costs every single month, and finance new programmes. So therefore, we are allowing people to sponsor shows, submit messages on screen etc whilst total Gurmat programming is playing. We know its not an ideal solution, but it helps to bring in funding which we need to keep the channel alive. Your ideas, suggestions are always welcome and the panel are always reviewing emails we get from the sangat.

its early days yet too - we cemebrated our 1 month anniversary a few days ago. It can take up a year to establish a professional and consistent TV channel, especially one which has live events EVERY single day.

Theres a lot happening behind the scenes - our news programme is coming very soon where issues, panthic issues, will be addressed. But we have to prove to organisations including Ofcom that the channel is trustworthy and professional - our aim is to inspire and ignite the passion for Sikhi into the hearts of the viewers.

Thanks again frontline, and if you have any more comments on it, just let us know - feel free to email us or call in.

Forgive our many mistakes

ps. frontline, you got the wrong channel logo on your blogspot lol

It is all good you guys sitting on your back sides saying why are there all these names coming across the bottom of the screen or why no mention of 1984 etc etc, have you thought maybe why this is ????

1. The channel does not run itself, it needs funding and if you look at just the graphics you can think of how much it will have cost and then there are all the running day to day costs , a Sky channel does not come cheap !!! If one way to get the funds rolling in is to have a tape running across the bottom of the screen with names of donaters then I am afraid we will have to put up with it. Personally I think it is a good way to get people to donate money even though the names are distracting, at least the channel is kept on air.

2. As for the other negatives, lets give the channel a chance for gods sake, its only been up a few weeks. Give it time to establish itself , let it bed in, then slowly it can broadcast the more contentious issues. I am sure there are all sorts of agencies keeping an eye on the Channel above all the Govrn of India, so give it a chance and for now just be happy that there is a channel dedicated to Sikhi.

Although I am a bit dubious about Prof Darshan Singh on at the moment !!!

It is all good you guys sitting on your back sides saying why are there all these names coming across the bottom of the screen or why no mention of 1984 etc etc, have you thought maybe why this is ????

1. The channel does not run itself, it needs funding and if you look at just the graphics you can think of how much it will have cost and then there are all the running day to day costs , a Sky channel does not come cheap !!! If one way to get the funds rolling in is to have a tape running across the bottom of the screen with names of donaters then I am afraid we will have to put up with it. Personally I think it is a good way to get people to donate money even though the names are distracting, at least the channel is kept on air.

2. As for the other negatives, lets give the channel a chance for gods sake, its only been up a few weeks. Give it time to establish itself , let it bed in, then slowly it can broadcast the more contentious issues. I am sure there are all sorts of agencies keeping an eye on the Channel above all the Govrn of India, so give it a chance and for now just be happy that there is a channel dedicated to Sikhi.

Although I am a bit dubious about Prof Darshan Singh on at the moment !!!

Relax Bundha, its Prof. Zoarawar Singh (Prof. Darshan Singh's brother). He is not contentious, just copies his brother's style and makes money. He doesent do the dodgy stuff that his brother is curently doing.

I have to say that originally I was apprehensive about the channel, but its slowly growing on me. Its getting better day by day and keep it up Sikh Channel, we are fully behind you. You will always get the haters who will never be happy. I know haw much hard work goes into the running, you are doing just fine.

I think that the Sikh Channel is great but I have on issue. When they play kirtan they sometimes have translations which help me understand what the true meaning is, but when the sponsor list is there you cannot see the meanings. If it is possible could you move the list somewhere both the list and the translation can be seen ?

I think that the Sikh Channel is great but I have on issue. When they play kirtan they sometimes have translations which help me understand what the true meaning is, but when the sponsor list is there you cannot see the meanings. If it is possible could you move the list somewhere both the list and the translation can be seen ?

Thank you to everyone who is supporting us and thanks for the suggestions.

Regarding the translations and scroll, we will be sorting that issue out soon. we are currently working improving the graphics on the channel...