Help! Soccer And Jhoora

MPKaur

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

I just came back from my son's soccer game. We were told by the referee that he wasn't allowed to play with his jhoora! :@

The president of the association told me the rule came from the federation. I asked him to send me the rule (i want to see it for myself and i also want to make sure that it's actually a rule and not something the referee just decided on his whims).

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? What did you do?

penji i play for a junior team, and i've never had this problem ever...

pm me if you wish, and we can discuss over that

also, when i had trials for a 1st division team (lol only Scotland) there was no issues with the patka i wore back then.

Nowadays i play with a keski, and theres no issues ever.

also, if you get a copy of the leagues rules/constitution id like to try help analyse them if you'd let me

:)

there is no rule against keski/patka in any professional arena, there is only BS referees.

for health & safety its probly better to wear a thin kara & small kirpan & to keep those gupt.

tbh as long as you're not taking a 3 foot khanda onto a cricket pitch then match officials should have the common sense to use discretion.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh ji

If this is in UK (IT can be sorted out straight away as Gursikhs have good contact with authroities due to previous successful cases around the wearing of a kirpan inside football stadiums)

thus pls pm me.

However as you use the word soccer I am asusming you are in canada and US, but stiil PM with further details of which federation it is and i am sure we can get reps from the football/soceer industry in UK to lobby on your behalf.

There's even a professional keshdhari referree here in UK, :) )

Hope this helps

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh ji

Well i'm in Quebec, Canada

2 years ago, the hijab was ban in soccer over here. But i'm not aware that it is the case for the jhoora. I'm calling the "fédération du soccer" today, i'll let you know..

I'm hoping it was just an ignorant referee...

I did a bit of searching and it seems a distinction was drawn between a hijab which wraps around the neck and a permissable patka by Joe Guest, Canada's Director of Referees in this article. Also in the same article the Quebec soccer rep suggests the concern was specifically with respect to choking.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/02/26/hijab.html

Here are additional links that may assist with contacting Joe Guest.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/view...p?Press_ID=2411

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/contact/index.asp

Another interesting story about quebec soccer incident

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/e...f9-ad83cca6b436

Given the circs, you may wish to pursue an query outside Quebec who in turn can advise those within Quebec as to what is advisable. Know that we're behind your family in your queries. I coach a kids team. I don't want to get you worked up as you need composure and strength but what is happening to your son to me is the equivalent a little brother/son of every sikh being bullied, harassed. It is outrageous and intolerable. Keep us posted. How old is your son?

Amazing that kids can jump up for headers with possible concussions or have spikes on shoes that can easily end up in someone's face...but cloth head covering is a safety issue!!!

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz
Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh!

I just came back from my son's soccer game. We were told by the referee that he wasn't allowed to play with his jhoora! :@

The president of the association told me the rule came from the federation. I asked him to send me the rule (i want to see it for myself and i also want to make sure that it's actually a rule and not something the referee just decided on his whims).

Has anyone gone through a similar situation? What did you do?

thats impossible, when i used to play i didnt have a dastaar at that time but my hair wasnt short so i always had it up as did other girls on my team, so if a girl can keep it up why cant a boy?? that jsut doenst make sense

ps there are even punjabi leagues here where i live and clearly many boys keep joodas, u can play any sport and keep a jooda, my brothers played ice hockey with joode so i dont get what the problem is, someone is just being intolerant and you can get them into a lot of trouble, im from canada too and that hasnt ever happened here.. clearly this coach or w/e has different intentions for which they could get into trouble for if you take it further which i wish you do..