Sikh Views On Homosexuality

geo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<h2 class="date-header">Thursday, 12 February 2009</h2> <h3 class="post-title entry-title"> <a href="http://frontlinepunjabiyouth.blogspot.com/2009/02/can-amritdharis-be-gay.html">Can Amritdharis be Gay? </h3> What is the Sikh attitude to homosexuality?

Sikh believe in following the laws of nature. God has created everything in opposites in his divine laws. We have day and night, man and women, water and fire, life and death etc. Sikh also believe reproduction is a necessary part of Gods will. Infact any sexual activity other then to reproduce is seen as a lustful deed and is unlegitamate. Even animals reproduce. Sikhs see homosexuality as a corrupt desire of the mind therefore it is not permitted within the Sikh faith. Even on a magnet the north and north of another magnet repel but the opposite south filed will stick to the north field.

BEING BORN HOMOSEXUAL AND NATURALLY INCLINED?

Whether homosexual inclinations, tendencies and behaviour are natural or not does not hold any weight when discussing Gurmat (the Guru's teachings). It is possible that urges, inclinations and desires may be natural to some, but in Gurmat a Sikh is not supposed to act upon or follow on all urges of sexual desire/lust (or any other vice).

"(In the world) everyone acts according to the inclinations of the mind. (But the one who remembers and meditates on the Lord's name doesn't follow the inclinations of the mind, instead with the blessings of Naam becomes) the image of the Creator Lord and remains in a state free of fear" (Ang 1167 SGGSJ)

Just because some sexual urge is 'natural', it does not mean that it is good to act upon it or follow it. Some people have incest urges and they too are natural to them. Should they follow those urges or subdue such urges through extensive reflection of Gurbani and Naam Abhiyaas (repetition of the Divine-Name). Some are pedophiles and have such horrific urges. Does it mean that the pedophiles are supposed to follow their urges just because they are 'natural' to them? Gurbani teaches us that urges, inclinations or desires can be subdued through reading, listening, contemplating and understanding the Guru's Shabad, keeping company with the Saadh Sangat (company of the Holy), sewa (selfless service) and Naam Simran (devotional remembrance and meditation of the Lord).

"Sexual desire, anger, greed, pride and envy are destroyed in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy." (Ang 1223 SGGSJ)

According to the Sikh Rehit Maryada, the Anand Karaj (Sikh marriage) can only be between a Sikh man and woman only. Sexual relationship can only be between the couple married under the Anand Karaj maryada. Denouncing the practice of same-sex marriages, Jathedar of Akal Takht, issued a directive with the seal of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib that prohibited any Gurdwara in the world to hold such ceremonies. Jathedar Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti described same sex marriages as an ‘anti-Gurmat’ trend that had no place in Sikhism.

"He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who walks in the Way of the Guru's Will. One who walks according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers separation from the Lord, and shall be punished. Without the True Guru, peace is never obtained, O Siblings of Destiny; again and again, he regrets and repents.” (Ang 601 SGGSJ)

THE TRUTH IS UNLESS WE R HOMOSEXUAL WE DONT HAVE THE RIGHT TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION

IS HOMOSEXUALITY SOMETHING GOD CREATED AND ALLIGNED PEOPLE TO? OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT PEOEPLE DO OUT OF LUST

I DONT KNOW WOUULD SOME CHOOSE TO BE HOMOSEXUAL

WE DONT CONDEMN THEM

HOMOSEXUAL SEX WOULD AMOUNT TO USLESS SEX BECAUSE THEIR IS NO REASON FOR IT

SO WOULD ELDERLY ECT............

BUT I DONT KNOW I MEAN IF IT IS NATURAL THAN ITS ALLOWED

IF IT IS LUST THAN NO BUT I DONT KNOW AND CANT KNOW

SO I HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL HOMOSEXUALS THEY ARE WRONG UNLESS I KNOW FOR A FACT WHICH I CANT

i agree with frontline to the majority of the extent that can be agreed. (weird sentance!)

to analyse homosexualitywe must break it up into its components.

the reasons for homosexuality, or even, the reasons for a relationship can be included in this; these are as follows.

i can only think of a few.

1. love of person

2. love of lust

3. want to try it out

4. everyone else is doing it (i.e. you see other people in relationships straight or gay)

5. revenge? maybe??!

6. have no reason to love opposite sex

7. an outlet

8. a disrupted past

i cant think of any more..... but i think this covers the reasons for a homosexual or even hetrosexual relationships.

from most of these reasons, it can be seen that they are nearly all anti gurmat and none show a reason worthy of saying i do XXXXXXXXXXX because it will get me closer to god.

1. love of another is scraped by gurbani, > tudh bin dooja ko naahi

2. love of lust is scraped by gurbani, > he kaamang, narak bisraamang (in sahaskriti m5)

3. trying it out is scraped by gurbani, > aap tiaag sharani pavaa ( move away from munmat "i want...i want...."

4. cus everyone else is doing it is scraped by gurbani > moorakhe naal na loojiae, or even >kachae gur te mukat na hooa

5. for revenge is scraped by gurbani simpily due to revenge being wrong cus it makes you further from god

the last three reasons are a bit more difficult to devolve.

6.doing it for an outlet is wrong as this can be seen as loosing control and, when sikhi is all about the self control of oneself, i dont think a 'wrong' outlet such as that is at all appropriate.

7. having no reason to love the opposite sex is like saying i give up. a sikh never gives up. he learns from each situation. it might just be ones karam that people behave like that to oneself.

8. (this may sound a bit harsh but ) a disrupted past is again regarding karam. that was paid in the past, now, dealing with it is what is left. that is the punishment, a disrupted past, but instead of doing naam to deal with it, and lessen the hardship, they may, just as this reason suggests, react in rash ways.

reason 8 for homosexuality may not be all to relevent to the majority of homosexuals.

but all in all it can be seen that it is not what sikhi and getting closer to god is about.

rMg rUp rs bwid ik krih prwxIAw ]

Pleasure, beauty and delicious tastes are useless; what are you doing, O mortal?

sggs.

hope this has helped

gurfateh