Another Racial Attack On Indian In Oz

Azaad

nearly half sikh students i have seen in melbourne seem like they will start crying if someone wants to fight them. not just sikhs but indian people in general there act like bunch of scared teenagers. how can they except anything else but to get there <banned word filter activated> beaten.

what can u expect from students on temporary visas that can get them chucked out anytime? get them aussie passports and then see what they can do. and the attacks are on Indians not Sikhs ! and not everyone is a braveheart, there are people who are genuinely scared to fight.

SIKHS ARE NOT INDIANS!

since when? :6

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anger mounts as Oz image takes a hit

20 assaults in 30 days in Sydney alone; Indians seek action

Melbourne, May 30

Anger among Indian students here is growing in the wake of recent assaults that left a youth from the community battling for life after being stabbed and another badly burnt following a petrol bomb attack.

Television footage of 25-year-old Shravan Kumar, who was stabbed with a screwdriver by a group of teenagers, battling for life in a hospital here sent shock waves among the 95,000-strong Indian student community in Australia which sought stern action against the culprits.

The Federation of Indian Student Association (FISA) in Victoria has called for a peace rally here tomorrow in response to the growing anger in the community against increasing hate crimes.

“The purpose is to create an awareness about an increasing number of hate crimes within the state (of Victoria) and to promote racial harmony and peace,” FISA said in a statement.

The statement came as an Indian student, 25-year-old Rajesh Kumar, suffered 30 per cent burns after a suspected petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home in Sydney two days back.

The rally will start from Royal Melbourne Hospital, where Sravan is lying in coma, and conclude at the Victorian Parliament House. A candle-light vigil will also be held in support for the recent victims of crime. A 17-year-old from Glenroy has been charged with attempted murder in connection with the attack on Kumar and his friends. Another student Baljinder Singh, stabbed by two attackers early this week, has been discharged from hospital.

An Indian community leader has revealed that there have been at least 20 incidents of “racial assaults” in Sydney in the past month, but most attacks on Indian students went unreported out of fear. Yadu Singh, a cardiologist, said violent attacks against Indian people are on the rise in Sydney.

The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Singh as saying that there had been more than 100 attacks on Indian students in the past 12 months.According to him, many Indian students feared that lodging a formal report to the police would harm their chances of permanent residency. Meanwhile, under fire over the spate of racial attacks on Indian students, Australia today scrambled to salvage its image as a “safe” destination for education for foreigners. Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Julia Gillard, said Australia, where over 4 lakh international students are based, “overwhelmingly is a safe country.” “But I have recognised as minister for education that we need to do more to ensure that students who come to study in Australia from overseas are safe,” she was quoted as saying by ‘Radio Australia.’

Big B wants to turn down honour

Actor Amitabh Bachchan is in a dilemma over accepting an honorary doctorate offered to him by Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia. The actor wants to decline the honour to protest the attack on people of Indian origin in that country. “My conscience does not permit me to accept this decoration from a country that perpetrates such indignity to my fellow countrymen,” he write in his blog. However, the actor has not turned down the doctorate as yet. In his blog Bachchan writes that he would go by public opinion on the matter.

He should have smashed their faces........ A sikh screaming 'dont kill me dont kill me'. Oh come on, for gods sake....

WJKK WJKF

were is the ''bhul chak marf''? anyway i would like to see what you would have done in the guys position, it is very easy to say a sikh screaming dont kill me dont kill me but mr bond singh have you ever been stabbed in the abdomen? if so please tell me what you did..if you haven't experienced a knife attack then dont comment like that ''oh come on for gods sake'', it is very easy to see stuff in hindsight but actually dealing with it is a different matter!

Who are you to ask where the Bhul Chuk Maaf is? Don't mock me, I will not allow a Niddar Nang chela to mock me. My names not Bond Singh but Sunny Singh. I have not been stabbed in the abdomen, have you been?

Have you got into fights from age 4 to 13 allmost daily due to your saroop? Have you ever been the only Sikh (even no monas) at school with all goreh or Muslims? Are you the only Sikh in your whole neighbourhood? I did not win each time, I DID lose, but I never cried or screamed 'dont beat me or don't bully me' at them.

BHUL CHUK MAAF,

WJKK WJKF

He should have smashed their faces........ A sikh screaming 'dont kill me dont kill me'. Oh come on, for gods sake....

WJKK WJKF

were is the ''bhul chak marf''? anyway i would like to see what you would have done in the guys position, it is very easy to say a sikh screaming dont kill me dont kill me but mr bond singh have you ever been stabbed in the abdomen? if so please tell me what you did..if you haven't experienced a knife attack then dont comment like that ''oh come on for gods sake'', it is very easy to see stuff in hindsight but actually dealing with it is a different matter!

Who are you to ask where the Bhul Chuk Maaf is? Don't mock me, I will not allow a Niddar Nang chela to mock me. My names not Bond Singh but Sunny Singh. I have not been stabbed in the abdomen, have you been?

Have you got into fights from age 4 to 13 allmost daily due to your saroop? Have you ever been the only Sikh (even no monas) at school with all goreh or Muslims? Are you the only Sikh in your whole neighbourhood? I did not win each time, I DID lose, but I never cried or screamed 'dont beat me or don't bully me' at them.

BHUL CHUK MAAF,

WJKK WJKF

nihang niddar singh chela? vah vah nice words mr bond singh.

i have had a 12 inch knife to my throat by a random stranger and yes he would have likely cut my neck as he was that messed up!

indeed i have my friend indeed i have since around 5 actually till 13 :)

nai i am not the only ''sikh'' in my area

and teeeka glad you never said ''dont beat me'' but like i said everyone has different ways to deal with a beating some may cry some may laugh after or some may scream during.

Shaken by a wave of racial assaults, thousands of Indian students chanting 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai' today rallied here demanding justice for victims of recent attacks as Australia scrambled to contain the rising anger and frustration within the community.

The 'peace rally' organised by bodies like Federation of Indian Students in Australia (FISA) and National Union of Students kicked off from outside the Royal Melbourne Hospital, where 25-year-old Shravan Kumar is in a critical condition after being stabbed with a screwdriver by a group of teens on Sunday last.

The marchers numbering over 5,000 walked down to the Victorian Parliament House on Spring street, holding placards with slogans like 'We want Justice', 'We are the Economy Builders' and 'End Racist Attacks'. They also chanted 'Bharat Mata Ki Jai'.

FISA founder Gautam Gupta, who led the rally, said: “We believe in 'Gandhigiri' and peaceful ways to present the demands of the student community.” The students had hoped to hand over their demands' list to the lawmakers, but it could not be materialised.

Their demands included a multicultural police force for Victoria, which houses 47,000 of the 95,000 Indian student community in Australia. They also demanded that crime statistics be made public and sought racial tolerance and awareness, and advertising campaign to welcome international students, highlighting their contribution to the Australian economy.

Facing flak over the spate of racial assaults, Australia government said it was doing everything it can to prevent further attacks on the community. "We're doing everything that we can, both with the Indian community in Australia and India itself... but also working very closely with the relevant state authorities," Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith was quoted as saying by AAP.

He assured the community that the Australian authorities are trying to bring the attackers to justice and ensure a safe environment for all international students.

Apart from Shravan Kumar, the Indian students attacked recently included Baljinder Singh, who has been discharged from hospital after being stabbed by two attackers, and Rajesh Kumar, who suffered 30 per cent burns after a petrol bomb was hurled at him in his home in Sydney.

In a bid to assuage the feelings of the Indian community here, Australia’s first Asia-born Cabinet minister said that racism in this country was confined to “a minority of people” with extreme views.

“On the whole, I think Australians are tolerant,” Malaysia-born Penny Wong, Federal Climate Change Minister, was quoted as saying by AAP. “It is a minority of people in Australia who hold those sort of extreme and intolerant views.”

FISA leader Gupta said the massive rally of the students proved that they were not “soft targets” and the situation may get out of hands if the community was attacked again. He expressed confidence that the Australian government would take some action now and punish the perpetrators of the attacks.

Some leading community members, including Australian Telco company Iprimus CEO Ravi Bhatia, also participated in the rally, apart from the state opposition leader, Ted Baillieu. — PTI

Upkar was victim of racial attack, suspects family

Dharmendra Joshi

Tribune News Service

Jalandhar, May 31

A family here suspects that its son had also become victim of hate crime.

Jagjit Singh and his brother Kartar Singh of the Kishanpura locality here said the former’s son Upkar Singh had been found dead beside a railway track near Thornberry railway station in Victoria, Melbourne, in Australia on May 7.

Sports officer Kartar Singh said Happy, a son of his cousin, studying in Australia, informed them about Upkar’s death.

Upkar’s body was brought here for cremation on May 14. They noticed injury mark on his head, Kartar added.

Jagjit and Kartar said they came to know from recent reports that several Indians became victims of racial attacks.

Kartar said the Union government should take up the matter with the Australian government to know the cause of his death.

Kartar said a post-mortem on Upkar’s body could not be done as the Australian authorities were telling them it would take 10 more days, and they were in a hurry to bring the body home in India for performing the last rites.

Upkar had gone to Australia four years back for course in hospitality management. He visited his native place in Jalandhar after becoming permanent resident (PR) in Australia last year.

Upkar (26) was driving his taxi in Australia after completing studies.