The Truth About Sikhs And Caste In India (video)

well if persuasion doesnt work, these people can be replaced. gurudwaras change hands. the old get older and a new generation replaces them (who hopefully were raised better and not influenced by their parents - which is unlikely).

Mate I have young friends, and know many who are even worse with the caste thing than their parents. I have seen caste getting worse over the last decade. Moe than a decade ago, people in uni Sikh Societies would talk of caste and some would say - leave it alone - it is dying. These people were actually very pro-caste and hid their agenda. The impact is clear to see.

heavier action may be needed. but i doubt that the lawmakers over there have real social equality as an ideal to strive for. with khalistan we could hand out prison sentences for caste-discrimination. that would stop the ones who think caste is so important.

That is the thing though, Khalistan would, in all likelyhood fall into these people's hands. I believe things would actually get worse for low castes in Khalistan as the same people would be in power, unchecked. They would pervade all institutes with caste based considerations and do worse than they doing now.

What have you got against open condemnation anyway? If the youth are going to remove this thing from our midst then they muust clearly be shown how wrong it is. Otherwise it just goes on unchallenged, hidden in the background, as always.

i'm not saying we should shy away from saying caste is bad, voicing opposition to casteism or changing the minds of the youth. but the blame game always encourages and reinforces the stupid beliefs of some people. like you said, when you were at uni you thought casteism would die out and you were lulled into a false sense of security, so it ended up becoming worse. now if we get these peoples backs up (who still believe in caste) they will only move to embed caste in their kids and others even more. i know blaming is a knee <banned word filter activated> reaction, but it will only give these id1ots more ammunition for the argument that 'we are different and better, that is why they complain as they are jealous'. i have some of these caste loving sikhs in my family and blaming them or just saying its wrong doesnt change them. we'd be better off thinking of more intelligent answers like encouraging any youngsters in your family to see other sikhs as sikhs rather than jatt/ramgarhia/etc.

sikhi is flawless but jatts are a problem,their position in the sikh institution make it much worse.

Brother, don't stereotype - of course plenty of Jatts are involved in caste discrimination, but it would not be fair to assume that they are the only ones that do so.

The reason that Jatts feature so often in cases of discrimination is due to their numbers and prevelence in Punjabi society.

Targetting and blaming a certain group will only cause more friction.

So when Jatts are doing well, it is all "bruaaaah, we are the best you lowly people", when things are down, it is time to get the violins out? Looking for sympathy?

Saying that, the song is much better than the fake "Jatts are living the top life" ones that some idiots seem to keep producing in stark contradiction to ground reality in Panjab.

That is weird thing: You have people like Bikram Singh singing "Put Jat tip top da" on one hand and the minority singing more realistic songs like Babbu Mann.

This society seems to be very confused right now.