Sikh Concious Rap

Is rap music a good way to get the youth learning about some history and knowledge? Its seem as a genre plauged with violence and swear words? However the youth still love there music. Do you think its right to talk about these issues using rap?

http://www. zshare.net/audio/607911924e49bd3e/

remove the spaces, does anyone have other examples of this type of music?

Is rap music a good way to get the youth learning about some history and knowledge? Its seem as a genre plauged with violence and swear words? However the youth still love there music. Do you think its right to talk about these issues using rap?

http://www. zshare.net/audio/607911924e49bd3e/

remove the spaces, does anyone have other examples of this type of music?

Rap music plagued with violence and swear words is usually only gangster rap, a sub genre which is just one of many where rap can be used to express yourself.

Christians do biblical rap where they rap about spiritual matters and life/god. I think that sort of rap is excellent as it can really hit home. Muslims apparently are doing it too. I don't think theres anything wrong with some kind of spiritual rap. I'd like to see some talented sikh rappers do more of this. The track you put a link up for is more so about history and stuff. I haven't really got an opinion on that but i think what sikhs should be rapping about is the deep spiritual philosophy of gurbani and making clever rhymes around it.

I think it is a double edged sword. I know rap did alot for Afro-American consciousness, groups like Jungle Brothers and Public Enemy stick in my mind for this.

The simple concept of singing rhyming conscious lyrics is not unknown to Panjabis. Dhadhi can be defined as exactly that!

The problem is with Sikhs taking on the whole physical identity of rappers and mimicking them in dress and body language. In my opinion this often leads to them looking like clowns. That should be avoided!

But overall, writing and singing conscious lyrics in English is fine if done well and not making a joke of yourself. I would say that given the fact that 2nd/3rd/4th generation Sikhs often have poor Panjabi language skills (at least in the UK), this is not a bad thing. But it must be quality and not every 14 year old jumping on a mic.

It can be a useful tool, no doubt but we want avoid "wannabe gangsta" Sikhs.

You get me blud.....

Nah man, dats like heavy..wot!

Innit man!