Indian Unis Can Bar Brow Plucking Sikhs

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest confusingh

FIRSTLY... I never said she was right to break rehat..!

Secondly, The high court shouldn't be so invasive in regards to the definition of a Sikh, if this is an excluded case, a one off then yeah ok but in India's history they never make a case a fair one off event its always politics, and within this case if the GOI will not attempt to just establish kesdhari Sikhs as being Sikhs on paper, then thats not a problem...

The problem is if we say only Amritdhari Sikhs or just Keshdhari Sikhs are classed as Sikhs... in doing so we end up with a Sikh population of 1.25 million, an insignificant amount to make any effect upon the politics and rights within govt. and reducing out chances of any sort of independence to 0%... fact!

My personaly belief is, I don't really think that religion should be used as a means of admission criteria, although within India reserved seats are for different reasons, so I'm not too sure but generally, over the last 11 years of education at uni level and above I've always failed to see how an institution can admit and dismiss a candidate not on their merit or skills but simply because of their background or practices... funny thing is alot of my close friends are doctors and a couple surgeons, they have to remove their kara in certain circumstances and tie their beard so we compromise Rehat in this situation...

Ultimately the girl shouldn't be removing hair at all, but I don't believe in rewarding one on their practices rather than their accumen is the best way within education, simply down to the fact that the standard of candidate output will be much lower in quality.

Bhul Chuk Maaf if any offence is caused

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Some suggest that a person born a Sikh and tied into it because of mere CASTE type leanings and available institutions for birth, marriage, death etc. can be called a sikh while going to the barber on a regular basis to be groomed!, and looking in the mirror with a blade to his face as part of his morning routine.

Such a person may be considered a good person, a spiritual person, a friend, brother or sister of sikhi, a person perhaps in some other ways more worthy of sikhi than you and I (especially I). HOWEVER, the moment that person stands up and claims that "I am Sikh without qualification" that person's ego and ignorance are more harmful than a breakaway sect choosing to insult sikhi, more harmful than a 16th century mogul who threatens with death or faith, more harmful than state oppression.

If one is fighting the spirit of lions who dare to stand up and stand out and the lions voluntarily submit to be sheep, there is no fight to be had. Ammunition is saved, might as well wax the tanks, the lion has chosen to live as a sheep. Anti-sikh forces will be saying about Sikhs---"who needs enemies when they have friends like these". Sikhi is not about maintaining an empty shell by preserving the label "Sikh". There is no sikhi left to preserve if we are not living it.

We should certainly support education, weeding out sheep in lion's clothing, and respecting those brothers and sisters who may not have had adequate support to make Sikh identity part of them yet. However, there comes a time when we grow up and make choices. We don't say ...."well i never learned to get married (to person as opposed to guru) and therefore am not ready" and then consider marriage on our deathbed...but somehow this is acceptable for sikhi? Attachment to the barber is not a fate, as an adult it is a choice. With due respect for Hindu bros/sis….we might as well bathe in Ganges if that is our approach to sikhi.

If you wish to be a mere supporter of sikhi and sikhs that is your choice. However, if you don’t wish not to accept the risk of stepping up to claim self determination so you can be a warrior for humanity in the manner laid out for Sikhs; then at least don't let your ego looking for identity, rot sikhi from the inside by claiming to be a sikh without qualification. Sorry "punjabi pride" "jatt boyz", khanda t-shirt don't cut it, nor do ignorant or willfully blind "good hearts".

yeah its the time of kaljug alright. one of the signs is complete ignorance. seriously, this girl thought she was sikh and so she applied as a sikh. she must have got a shock when they told her she wasnt! now what.........well like i said before, we probably just made another enemy of the panth. most stupid people on this forum dont even ask why people like brar/phula singh/kps gill did what they did and are technically sikh. the ones with half a brain cell think about it but then just blame it on the rss or pakistan or the whites (or anyone else the panth likes to blame). a true sikh university would take the brightest students regardless of background. even if this makes applicants follow the external symbols of sikhi, where will it end? will the woman have to sit there and have the recruitment board examine their facial hair? i cant believe fundamentalism has crept into our religion. and no i dont mean fundamentalist in a good way:'A point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.' i hope you fundamentallsts are proved right and have an angel of death beat your face in with a club.