Time Article On Sikhs

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the guy who wrote this article also the one who wrote an autobiography where he went on about some girlfriend he had called 'laura'? by the end of the book is was pretty clear he never had a girlfriend, but a massive ego and a nutty imagination.

The author of the article is someone who rejected Sikhi.

But Sikhi is definitely becoming more fundamental. Everyone's suddenly saying you must do this or you must do it like that.

Sikhi was never meant to be black and white, yes or no, right or wrong. Sikhi wasn't even meant to be shades of grey. Sikhi was meant to be a rainbow of wonder.

Like the issue of using products containing 'alcohols'. Drinking of ethanol is what was forbidden, but suddenly everyone expands 'alcohol' into any chemical containing the -OH group, which is pretty much everything if you analyse carefully enough.

The more Sikhi becomes 'fundamentalised' the more it ostrasises people and the more it turns into what islam and christianity are today - a set of rules and regulations, a religion that is completely different to what the founder had intended and started.

^^ Good post 'Wicked Warrior'.

There's something called the 'healthy balance' that members of our community either ignore or are unable to handle. It's always extreme - either drink, meat etc all the time or a the 'ohol' lot who care so much about the finer details and reht, they forget the real 'fundamental' aspects of the religion...its fun and mental...fundamental :p

Gurufateh g

see Guru Ji taught us

jin prem kiyo tin he prabh paiyo and ishq muhabat nanaka lekha kartay pas

sikhi is love the game of love

the one played with the head on the palm of the hand

when we offer our heads to guru ji we give Guru ji everything

including our sins and weaknesses and our honor and our hearts

and we pray to God to cover and kill our sins

to be strong wen we r weak

to protect our honor

and to take care of and preserve our human hearts

now thats piar but than theres fear as well

Guru ji says in asa di war

that those who have fear in their minds have love

kk now o an of us can find this confusing

the balance of fear satkaar and piar

one should fear God if one sins and one should fear God in the sense of being humbled before Gods glory

now this is a weird reference but its my dads one of his favorite songs

I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean

see we should feel small and meek when we stand at Gods door as well

one who is not weak or meek or sinful how will they come into Gods shelter

how will they swallow their pride and do dandaut at Gods door

it is human nature to sin

and it is fear of sin fear of wrath in this world and the next and fear/ submission to Gods glory which make us turn to God

Ab mai ka▫un upā▫o kara▫o.

Now, what efforts should I make?

Jih biḏẖ man ko sansā cẖūkai bẖa▫o niḏẖ pār para▫o. ||1|| rahā▫o.

How can I dispel the anxieties of my mind? How can I cross over the terrifying world-ocean? ||1||Pause||

Janam pā▫e kacẖẖ bẖalo na kīno ṯā ṯe aḏẖik dara▫o.

Obtaining this human incarnation, I have done no good deeds; this makes me very afraid!

Man bacẖ karam har gun nahī gā▫e yėh jī▫a socẖ ḏẖara▫o. ||1||

In thought, word and deed, I have not sung the Lord's Praises; this thought worries my mind. ||1||

Gurmaṯ sun kacẖẖ gi▫ān na upji▫o pas ji▫o uḏar bẖara▫o.

I listened to the Guru's Teachings, but spiritual wisdom did not well up within me; like a beast, I fill my belly

Kaho Nānak parabẖ biraḏ pacẖẖāna▫o ṯab ha▫o paṯiṯ ṯara▫o. ||2||4||9||9||13||58||4||93||

Says Nanak, O God, please confirm Your Law of Grace; for only then can I, the sinner, be saved.

and

Mere rām ham pāpī saraṇ pare har ḏu▫ār.

O my Lord, I am a sinner; I have come to Your Sanctuary, and fallen at Your Door, Lord

there are many examples and these examples show us the good type of fear the fear that leads us to Guru jis charan

but now theres the bad type of fear the fear that causes us to be extremists and to get lost in rituals the fear makes us do things which have no meaning and stops us from trying to understand Gurbani and causes us just to listen to others

we forget that fear of God is supposed to stem into love of God

we forget that innocent love is what God loves

dhana sayvaia bal budh :):) :) :) - example of bhagat dhanna jis true bhagti

see imagine sweet minded bhagat dhanna ji going into a Gurdwara today

what would Sikhs say to him? would we be like the pundit? would we be bitter? would we discourage his pure love? would we make bhagat ji afraid to worship?

through his love bhagat dhanna ji met the Lord and realized God existed beyond rocks but today it seems as strictness ( i dont meen paka rehit thats a good thing) and intolerence have replaces opening your heart and hearing the unspoken speech the akath kahani prem ki

it is led the way to rituals and believing that God really cares if you are wearing a salwar kameez or jeans (which is the number one thing that my friends have gotten lectured on at Gurudwara )

when we point out other peoples errors deep inside we are afraid of our own but God loves us regardless and looks at those who come to his sharan with a blind eye

Sikhs of the Guru must also learn to look for love and not perfection because there is no perfection without love

but those who love God attain perfection

bhull chuk maff karna g

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh