If Jewellery If Not Allowed In Sikhism Then Why Is Part Of The Golden Temple Made Of Gold?.

because maharaja ranjit singh (in his infinite wisdom) decided he needed to make up for all the bad things he did, so he decided to gold plate it. it was copper before. he also allowed the installation of hindu statues in some gurudwaras as well as building a gurudwara where guru gobind singh ji died (even though most people say he shouldnt have).

well i was arguing with some hindustanis on a hindu forum once, and they said that sikhs removed idols that had been in gurudwaras after partition and during singh sabha. i thought it was BS, but then i asked my friends dad who knows a lot of sikh history, and he said yes there were idols, but that they werent there in our guru's time, but were installed by maharaja ranjit singh's time to appease the hindus. some people say that actually it was hindus mahants who did it under the british noses at the turn of the century, but i'll ask him if he got it from a book or why he thought it was maharaja ranjit singh.

If Jewellery If Not Allowed In Sikhism Then Why Is Part Of The Golden Temple Made Of Gold?.

Who says jewellery is not allowed?

Maharaja Ranjit Singh saw every Gurudwara as Guru Ji's house, whatever he may have done, he still had love for Maharaj Ji. Guru Ji is the king of kings - why shouldn't Gurudwaras be beautiful? There was wealth to spare so he donated the gold and paid for it's installation. Most of our historic Gurudwarey were renovated during this time (at a higher standard than is done today!) after years of damage through war etc.

The idols were installed later, by the caretakers. If you look at contemporary paintings of Harmandir Sahib by foreign artists, there were no idols inside, or in the Parkarma. In fact, at that time, it was under control of the Nihang Singhs. Later, after the wars with the British, things went downhill.

Llarofeno,

The gold is used to adorn the place where a Sikh worships God, not for making one's body more attractive. It's also a form of sacrifice: Sikhs who donated money to make Harimandir Sahib look beautiful could have just as easily spent the money on more material pleasures for themselves, but they chose not to.

K.

Jewellery is maya...and the more you go into prayers, the more you will understand maya is useless... It is something you will realise the more you meditate on naam.

Things that change after going deep into naam :

1. maya will not be important

2. you will love all

3. You will stop talking about people

4. all the time you think of God

5. You crave for sadh sang...

these are jus a few...

wjkk wjkf

Wjkk Wjkf Jeo,

Jewellery is maya no doubt, but when it comes to Guruji's place it has to look beautiful. It is a metaphorical concept isn't it? God's word is infinitely radiant so whats wrong in making the place a bit more like that to reflect that? Plus, look at it this way: since Harmandir Sahib is bit of a tourist attraction for non-sikhs, it might happen that because of the external beauty of the place some might actually get the taste of the inner beauty i.e the word of the God. I know a few people who used to go there for casual visits, but now have become commited singhs. So, the way I look at it, external beauty of the place is what triggers the senses, but it is just a tool to get people inside the complex, thats where the kirtan is, thats what should take over all the senses then.

Bhull Chukk Maaf.

Prabhjot Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

The history behind the Gold sewa was that Maharaja Ranjeet Singh Ji was unable to win Multan Fort, He came to Darbar Sahib and did ardaas that if the Fort is won he will do this Sewa.

On the other side the Sikh Army was fighting furious battle against Pathans who were holding the Multan Fort. Due to intensive fighting the biggest cannon capable of breaking Fort’s thick wall in the Sikh Army gave way and was unstable. 11 Singhs gave shahidi by stabilising the cannon on their shoulder.

As soon the wall of the Fort was breached due to heavy shelling from the cannon the Fort was won by Sikh Army.

The news reached Lahore and as promised Maharaja Ranjeet Singh did the Gold Sewa.

Maharaja Ranjeet Singh Ji was a true secular King he not only built many Gurudwaras, he also gave tons of gold to make shiv ji's statue. He also paid a Muslim craftsman who had written a Quran with golden ink.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh