Honour Killing In Punjab

Azaad

Davinder Singh thought his bride was in the custody of her parents when he moved the Punjab and Haryana High Court. It was only during the pendency of the petition he came to know she had been killed for family “honour”.

The shocking incident in Kapurthala district was brought to the notice of Justice Kanwaljit Singh Ahluwalia, almost one-and-a-half years after the high court in another case expressed hope the practice of honour killing would be “stamped out” like “sati” with the state and the society’s intervention.

Taking up the petition, Justice Ahluwalia has now made it clear he was in favour of the case being investigated without fear or favour.

In the habeas corpus petition, Davinder Singh had claimed he married Rupinder Kaur on May 2 last year against her parents’wishes. On April 19, relatives came to his house with assurance of performing marriage after Rupinder Kaur was sent back.

During the hearing on May 28, the high court observed: “One Rupinder Kaur is missing. The state is least concerned whether she has been liquidated or abducted. Who has done it? How has it been done? Instead of taking this course, the parties are resorting to blame-game. Petitioner, who claimed himself to be husband, stated marriage has not been accepted, therefore, Rupinder Kaur was in custody of her parents and her whereabouts are not known.

“A reply has been filed by some of the respondents that Rupinder Kaur is in custody of her husband Davinder Singh”.

As the case came up for resumed hearing, Justice Ahluwalia observed: “Bahadur Singh, deputy superintendent of police, Kapurthala, is present in Court. He has stated Rupinder Kaur was murdered and case FIR No 154, dated May 31, has been registered at the Kapurthala police station, under Sections 364, 342, 120-B IPC.

“It is stated Jatinder Singh, brother of Rupinder Kaur, and Sheetal Singh, her uncle, have been arrested. The arrest of the two respondents is sufficient to infer that it is a case of honour killing”.

Disposing of the petition, Justice Ahluwalia observed: “Bahadur Singh has assured the court that without fear or favour, the FIR will be investigated in accordance with the provisions of law and no guilty will be spared. This Court intends to believe and trust Bahadur Singh. By giving an assurance to this court, he has put his credibility at stake”. Punjab was represented by assistant advocate-general Mehardeep Singh.

I thought honor killings are only carried out in muslim families nowadays.

This is a serious question..

Do the males really feel better after carrying out these honor killings?

There should be a lot of guys in Punjab killed this way too cuz of the things they do that girls don't do.

Oh but.. That will never happen cuz of the F'd up mentality that exists thanks to the stupid hindu + sullaa rules that many "sikhs" follow..

Sexism, anyone?

I thought honor killings are only carried out in muslim families nowadays.

This is a serious question..

Do the males really feel better after carrying out these honor killings?

There should be a lot of guys in Punjab killed this way too cuz of the things they do that girls don't do.

Oh but.. That will never happen cuz of the F'd up mentality that exists thanks to the stupid hindu + sullaa rules that many "sikhs" follow..

Sexism, anyone?

Khalsa_Girl_1, thora shaant ho jaoo lol. Well all this is thanks to our so called Desi Jatt/Punjabi culture.. 100% of these honour killings amongst Sikhs are comitted by Sikhs of Indian Punjab. There are atleast 5 million Sikhs outside Punjab, some that are Punjabi other that are non-Punjabi Sikhs, they have NEVER been reported to take part in these shamefull acts.

Punjab hardly has 5% Sikhs, believe me... These people are greedy moorakhs that know nothing and are giving a bad name to the Sikh community... I don't want us to be known alongside Sullahs as honor killing people. And your right, this is all the Hindu and <banned word filter activated> influence in our culture..

WJKK WJKF

• 4 weeks later...
Khalsa_Girl_1, thora shaant ho jaoo lol. Well all this is thanks to our so called Desi Jatt/Punjabi culture.. 100% of these honour killings amongst Sikhs are comitted by Sikhs of Indian Punjab. There are atleast 5 million Sikhs outside Punjab, some that are Punjabi other that are non-Punjabi Sikhs, they have NEVER been reported to take part in these shamefull acts.

Punjab hardly has 5% Sikhs, believe me... These people are greedy moorakhs that know nothing and are giving a bad name to the Sikh community... I don't want us to be known alongside Sullahs as honor killing people. And your right, this is all the Hindu and <banned word filter activated> influence in our culture..

WJKK WJKF

No one should be shaant about this. The reason why it frustrates me so much is the utter confusion I'm left with. Just where DO people get these ridiculously insane ideas?

I just can't seem to understand ONE ("good") reason why honour killings exist.

The population of men is already far greater than women. They already rule countries like India etc.

...WHY kill a girl for doing something like having a boyfriend, but only beat a boy for doing drugs, and later have him marry a girl that has to go through his drug-life?

what honour is there in killing a lost soul, if anything it is an act of Dishonour, you could not get your way so you decide to enforce your will it is an act of KARHOD (Wrath) and a very big sin.

there is a lot of sexism in indian (hindu/muslim) culture.......that’s why Vaheguru gave us Sikhi but weak minded Sikhs that find it difficult to escape the clutches of "society" and its preconceived and often flawed norms and pollute Sikhi and our youth.

if someone cant do something they want to tell you, you cant do it

we have to fight this rubbish

Sikhi is so pure and has the answers for everything, we just need to look harder:

“I have studied the scriptures of other great religions but I do not find elsewhere the same power of appeal of the heart and mind as I find in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. It speaks to me of life and death; of time and eternity; of the temporal human body and its needs; of the mystic human soul and its longing to be filled” – Pearl S Buck Noble Prize authoress.

if a goree can find this out what the hell are our people playing at!!!!!!!

There are atleast 5 million Sikhs outside Punjab, some that are Punjabi other that are non-Punjabi Sikhs, they have NEVER been reported to take part in these shamefull acts.

This sadly isn't true. There have been some honor killings done by UK based Panjabi Sikhs.