Topic: Eating Meat

Question: Guru Ji, what is the purpose behind ਮਾਸੁ ਮਾਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਮੂਰਖੁ ਝਗੜੇ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਣੈ ॥ and who is called Moorakh?

Answer: The Shabad was originally addressed to pundits who viewed vegetarianism as the only religious act and a way of purification. They hated meat and hated to eat it yet did not hesitate at all to sacrifice animals in the name of God. These same pundits acted like pure holy men and being modest by hating maas and preparing their own food in their special “chownka” or kitchen. On the other hand, they ate meat prepared by Muslims at their palaces. These pundits ate kuttha bakra of “malecha” and yet claimed to be pure by not letting anyone enter their kitchens. They were blinded by their rituals and were total hypocrites. This is why they are called “moorakh” because they do not know gyan or dheyan. Hence, ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਕਛੁ ਸੂਝੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਚਤੁਰੁ ਕਹਾਵੈ ਪਾਂਡੇ ॥

Why hate meat since everything (mom, dad, self, wife, children etc) are also meat. It doesn’t mean one has the right to eat meat but simply means one should not hate the creation. Everything has Jot of Waheguru. One should not consider meat itself to be impure nor is it in anyway a religious belief to hate it because everything is meat including our own body. One should not be hypocrite by calling himself a holy man and then committing immoral acts behind closed doors. If one wants to eat meat on the basis on this Shabad then eating of mom, dad, wife, children etc is also acceptable. Not a single pankti gives permission to the reader to eat meat. In fact, the entire shabad is not about eating or not eating meat. Moral of the Shabad is that one must practice the truth, never hate anything including meat, see Jot of Waheguru in every being and one becomes a true bhagat by rising above worldly pleasures and tastes. A Sikh must have less sleep and less to eat simple food and never indulge in taste.

lol, and i thought discussing meat was banned! i think its a bad argument to say we are made out of meat. we dont want anyone starting a cannibal derah.

Fateh!

I recall hearing somewhere that Singhs who were suffering from thirst while in battle would chatka a dusht and drink his blood then continue to fight without having to go back to camp to get refreshments. Khafi Khan in his book Muntakhabul-Lubab describes how some Sikhs in Bhanda Bahadur's time may have had to eat flesh from their own limbs to survive a siege.

At the end of the day, if you are in dharam yudh, you do whatever it takes to continue the fight. If it means eating a roast Mughal for breakfast, so be it.

K.

lol, and i thought discussing meat was banned! i think its a bad argument to say we are made out of meat. we dont want anyone starting a cannibal derah.

Fateh!

I recall hearing somewhere that Singhs who were suffering from thirst while in battle would chatka a dusht and drink his blood then continue to fight without having to go back to camp to get refreshments. Khafi Khan in his book Muntakhabul-Lubab describes how some Sikhs in Bhanda Bahadur's time may have had to eat flesh from their own limbs to survive a siege.

At the end of the day, if you are in dharam yudh, you do whatever it takes to continue the fight. If it means eating a roast Mughal for breakfast, so be it.

K.

I dont think we should be relying on Muslims to narrarate our great histroy as they have no knowledge of the mysteries of Gurmat Naam.

There was no reason to eat meat for Singhs living in the Jungle as they were of a High Vasta. They lived off of internal Amrit. Even Mahapurushs from the last century demonstrated that this is possible. For example Baba Harnam SIngh Ji lived without food for 40 days as he took sustenace from internal Amrit which is stored in Navel area. I think Baba Attar Singh Ji did not eat food for a year when he was on his Gurmat Parchar travels. SInghs in the jungles were also MahaPurush because they offerered everything to Guru Ji there wealth, body, mind, soul,etc. They lived off this internal Amrit. In fact, it was this internal Amrit that made them brAVE WARRIORS.

AMimRq Bojnu kry AwhwrI ]1] rhwau ]

a(n)mrith bhojan karae aahaaree ||1|| rehaao ||

He takes the Ambrosial Nectar as his food. ||1||Pause||

In addition, merciful Guru Sahib always provided langar to his Sikhs. Didnt Guru Sahib send one of his servants to provide food for Mata Gujri and Sahibzadey? Despite dangerous conditions the GUrsevak was still able to provide food .

siqguru isK kI krY pRiqpwl ]

sathigur sikh kee karai prathipaal ||

The True Guru cherishes His Sikh.

syvk kau guru sdw dieAwl ]

saevak ko gur sadhaa dhaeiaal ||

The Guru is always merciful to His servant.

For example Baba Harnam SIngh Ji lived without food for 40 days as he took sustenace from internal Amrit which is stored in Navel area

you should explain that a bit better as it could mean anything

Fateh!

K.

hindustanis are quite skinny so i dont think they would be good to eat. a tubby brahmin on the other hand might be good if diced up and added to some thuri and paneer. :D

I dont think we should be relying on Muslims to narrarate our great histroy as they have no knowledge of the mysteries of Gurmat Naam.

There was no reason to eat meat for Singhs living in the Jungle as they were of a High Vasta. They lived off of internal Amrit. Even Mahapurushs from the last century demonstrated that this is possible. For example Baba Harnam SIngh Ji lived without food for 40 days as he took sustenace from internal Amrit which is stored in Navel area. I think Baba Attar Singh Ji did not eat food for a year when he was on his Gurmat Parchar travels. SInghs in the jungles were also MahaPurush because they offerered everything to Guru Ji there wealth, body, mind, soul,etc. They lived off this internal Amrit. In fact, it was this internal Amrit that made them brAVE WARRIORS.

AMimRq Bojnu kry AwhwrI ]1] rhwau ]

a(n)mrith bhojan karae aahaaree ||1|| rehaao ||

He takes the Ambrosial Nectar as his food. ||1||Pause||

Fateh!

That is a silly argument. Try fighting a drawn out battle without food or drink for extended periods of time. Not everyone has Sant Baba Attar Singh's avastha now, and not everyone had it in Banda Bahadur's time.

If you were forced to fight dharam yudh tomorrow, how long would you survive without sustenance?

hindustanis are quite skinny so i dont think they would be good to eat. a tubby brahmin on the other hand might be good if diced up and added to some thuri and paneer. :D

Naw, Brahmins give you high cholesterol. Mmm, paneer.

K.

]

Fateh!

That is a silly argument. Try fighting a drawn out battle without food or drink for extended periods of time. Not everyone has Sant Baba Attar Singh's avastha now, and not everyone had it in Banda Bahadur's time.

If you were forced to fight dharam yudh tomorrow, how long would you survive without sustenance?

I wouldnt probably last a day without food, but that me own weakness because of my poor spiritual life. But how do you think people like Baba Deep Singh fought with their head off, How did small Bachitar Singh fight a gigantic elephant? All this power comes from Guru Jis blessing. Similarly Dharm Yudhs were fought and Sikhs were victorious despite being will numbered. Guru Ji can put a person in so much Bir ras that they dont even think about food and water when fighting. Bir Ras has alot of power/energy.