Sikhi In Uk And The Failure Of The Sikh Community

laala gola

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I have recently come to the conclusion that Sikhism is a religion which we (the Sikhs) have failed to get across to the non asian community where we live. I talk of the UK where I live.

I mean I've seen brits and europeans who haven't heard of Sikhism..they dont know the basic tenants of Sikhism..ie that the males wear long turbans and grow long hair and beards.

Too many people view Sikhs as extremist muslims. This may be laughable to some but I am serious.

A vast majority of white people look at turbans as symbols of militant islam. As a community I think we have failed to address the isue of broadcasting Sikhi to the masses..just as Islam and hinduism have.

A small minority of whites know about Sikhism (and mainly only the british because they ruled over India and knew about the Sikhs). All we hear in the media is about muslim fundamentalists blowing up buildings etc..Sikhism isn't even mentioned among the main religions of the world (Christianity, Budhism, Hinduism and Islam) and this can be evidenced in the recent complaints received at the BBC radio 4 programme. I think I saw a link to that somewhere on this website.

I always go out of my way to tell people who are interested, about Sikhism and the basic beliefs of Sikhism. However, I notice that a lot of whites are looking at Sikhs in discust because they think we are associated with militancy and associate our turbans with Islam.

We as a community haven't managed to even tell our children about the tenants of Sikhism so small surpsie that we havn't managed to get across the message of our religion to others out there.

We focus on making bigger and better Gurdowaras...we focus on our own TV stations..but why cant we spend the funding on having programmes on Sikhism so that they can be aired on mainstream TV...so that we can share our history...our Guru's sacrifices with the other faiths.

Please share your views on this.

Ji, I couldnt agree with you more.

Is anyone inside Sikhi let alone outside of Sikhi aware of the pillars of Sikhism??

- Kirat Karo - to live an honest family life & earning by the sweat of one's brow

- Vand Chhako - to share with the community through charitable giving

- Naam Japo - continual remembrance of Waheguru & focus on his name

It's a sad reflection when people say what's Sikh or "ahhh you're Sikh: you guys like a drink or you guys <insert Punjabi stereotype here>"

Too much time wasted on in-fighting & building monuments rather than to actually spread Gurbani.

Waheguru...Waheguru...Waheguru...

there are some groups doing amazing parchaar for the panth, such as Singhrow and their musical branch Sikh unit

this is a question about education among this generation, and currently it is very poor

please do more Bani and ask for the improvement of the panth in your Ardaas

nobody can do everything, but everyone can do something

Is anyone inside Sikhi let alone outside of Sikhi aware of the pillars of Sikhism??

- Kirat Karo - to live an honest family life & earning by the sweat of one's brow

It's a sad reflection when people say what's Sikh or "ahhh you're Sikh: you guys like a drink or you guys <insert Punjabi stereotype here>"

Too much time wasted on in-fighting & building monuments rather than to actually spread Gurbani.

Why are you calling yourself a "ravidassia" Sikh?

You are right. Truth is that for many Panjabi cultural values are more important than SIkh ethical values today.

You've just proven his point, no matter if he's a ravidassi, a sikh or neither.

You've just proven his point, no matter if he's a ravidassi, a sikh or neither.

I think she has a valid point.

Bro/sis

It is ironic that you comment on awareness of sikhi and then identify with caste.

There is no such thing as jatt sikh or ravidassi sikh. Those who claim such title are, with respect, more appropriately and generally described as Hindoos.