Offer Me A Solution!

Kuthaman, how dare you say that? Sikhi is not a missionary religion.. We do not go out and tell people about Sikhi.. You know its such a great sin to do that!!

(Please note the sarcasm)

WJKK WJKF

Problem: 'How can we stop from critising our fellow Singhs that do something for the Panth, while we are sitting in the west and doing nothing.'

Solution: Don't talk about something before you know everything about it. If you have done nothing for the Panth till date, then do not critise others. As simple as that, but many Sikhs need to learn this, esp on this board.

WJKK WJKF

I see so many intelligent posts about how sikhs are facing problems from both internal and external forces, however I very rarely see singh/kaurs offering viable solutions to deal with the problem.

can I make a suggestion that when we post a problem or issue we offer some sort of thought on how to tackle the issue or maybe what our understanding of Gurbani tells us to do about it otherwise all were gonna end up with is a defeatist complex. what do you guys think??

There is a need for youth converts that are outside of the faith. Some of the most powerful leaders are usually of non Sikh birth. They adopt it in later life. Seek out people that are naturally leaders and began introducing them to Sikhi.

of course, how did i not figure this out sooner? we brown people or punjabis are too stupid to even look after ourselves, so lets get someone else in to do it. as the ones you want are not brown/punjabi/sikh to begin with means that they are perfect in all possible ways and always honest.

problem low self esteem

solution sports and leadership and personal development programs

problem drugs achole

solution keep kids busy rather then spoiling them, have them work rather then raise mama boys

problem gender discrimination

solution well its going to be a tough one cause most family's prefer son's over daughters

problem caste

solution i believe we have to lead the way on this one and have marriages among different castes and also shutdown these caste gurdwaras

It's a little embarrassing for me to see a person outside of our faith suggest such simple, obvious solutions.

It really is embarrassing..cuz we all KNOW that this is what we must do.

It really does make me wonder, after reading the entire article.. Why do/did the victims of '84 (or parents who knew about '84) not talk about the happenings. :S

FACT: People within our community these days would rather spend time listening to all those messed up ppl... (errmm.. jazzy-b and.. that's all i know of) instead of knowing about the reasons why so many of our sisters and brothers fell.. (let alone actually participate in events to help our community <_< )

I wonder how much energy they receive after listening to those fools sing about hummers and girls.. The energy must be overflowing..

It's probably nothing compared to Gurbaani's and Simran's power right.....? :rolleyes:

Oh and.. The same ppl would laugh at my previous ^^^ comment.. Man, are they missing out.

FACT: Mothers (and daughters who learn it from their mothers) find it more important to powder themselves up, spending THOUSANDS (yes.. thousands is common now) of dollars on 'beauty' products instead of spending a few bucks for kirtan classes.

I mean.. come on people.. Is there any sense in that...?.. I mean really... <_<

FACT: Fathers would rather go to their friends houses and challenge each other to the infamous duel/challenge "Who can drink the most?"

..wow... "Omg.. Look at me. I'm so manly." ...You won't be when you're in the hospital, fighting for your life bud..

FACT: Parents are not willing to educate their children about what is in GurBaani.

I'm pretty sure most of usually witness/go through/have gone through this:

Child: Mummy ji. What did the baba mean?

Mom: Kee-aaa? Chup kar! (What?!?! Be quiet.)

Child: But I don't understand what he's saying.

Mom: Mainuu sunlayn de. (Let me listen.)

C: But then you always say how I don't know anything.

M: Hunn pushan daa time nee haig-aa. (Now is not the time to be asking.)

...On the way home...

C: Mummy. What did the baba mean when he said "____________________"?

M: Tuu sundee nee cee? Othey karan kee jaan-ay-o? (You weren't listening? What do you go there for?)

C: *(w.t.f...?)*

FACT: Grandmas will never stop wearing those tiny Kirpans. Therefore, the reason they provide their grandchildren with when asked 'why not the big Kirpan' is "There is no need to have an actual Kirpan.

Err... Yeah... I'd like to see ppl (try) to defend themselves.. :rolleyes:

FACT: Parents need to STOP saying stupid things just cuz the kids are young.

Saying things like "No. Guru ji did not actually cut off the 5 heads, but showed the blood of sheep (w.t.f...?) instead."

FACT: Parents don't realize what is in those 'story-time books' they buy for their kids.

HOW COULD A SNAKE...(of all animals.. a SNAKE???)...hover over Guru Nanak Dev jis head? :6 .. Do we HAVE to act like we don't know what Sikhi says about snakes, and their karams?

How... How could God let a SNAKE hover over Guru jis head....? PPL=MESSED UP

FACT: Stupid movies, like SUNNY THE PROUD SIKH (hate on me all you want ppl.. but I really disagree with the makers of that movie) need stop being made/distributed!

The grandma in that video, actually, said Dhan Dhan, Guru Gobind Singh ji had the blood of sheep (or w/e) on His sword...

Okay... Yeah.. Dhan Dhan, True Guru Gobind Singh ji really needed to FAKE it to DECEIVE PEOPLE.. ..What is wrong with ppl??????

FACT: Bollywood is "essential" in PUNJABI ppls' lives.

Challenge:

Naming the fav. Bwood movie stars: Passing with an A+ ..listed over 50, and was still going..

Challenge:

Naming 11 Guru jis: Failing at 20% ...remembered Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji..

Oh.. I'm sure they could name more Hindu gods... :rolleyes:

FACT: Punjabi ppl are lazy.. They think putting their kids in the GURUDWARA soccer club is good enough.

Sullaas are always at the front of the volunteering lines (Hurricane katrina, the tsunami, Burma etc..)

The year I worked as an assistant teacher for an elementary school last year, ALL THE VOLUNTEERS FOR LUNCH SUPERVISION WERE SULLEES!! Each, and every SINGLE ONE OF THEM...

I hate it when ppl think we are sullees cuz of the same clothes. DISGUSTING!!!

IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER: When kids are playing on the Gurudwara soccer team, it does nothing. Playing on the Gurudwara team does NOT make it easier for those few players on Rep teams to keep their Kadaas and Kirpans on!! It just shows that those ppl are insecure, therefore putting their kids in Gurudwara teams.

My sister has been playing volleyball for 5-6 years now. She ties a Dastaar, wears the sarab loh Kadaa, and is sometimes asked to remove them. In her 5-6 years of playing the sport...Only ONE referee had not asked her to remove it, before telling her that he understood it is important to a Sikh.

FACT: Punjabi parents think 'attending as many night parties as possible = being western.

...but, somehow, striving to make a country better is all up to the "western goraas".. :6

These idiocy is the Sikh community's problem. Therefore, ridding the stupi.dity within our community is the only solution.

Someone's gonna have to break it to these folks, that..

the fact is.. We can't celebrate about manmohan. He will not do ANYTHING for Sikhs. ... His wife wears a saadee all the time.. FINDS A KADAA TOO HEAVY TO WEAR, but wears the other jewelry.. AND is friends with Ms. GHANDI

Have a sneak peek of their sisterhood: http://www.hinduonnet.com/gallery/0372/037202.jpg

If this is how our community will stay close to the dirt.. I don't see justice coming our way..

Regarding these matters..

Are there only a few Sikhs who think the same?... Cuz that's what it seems like.. :@

Problem: 25years have past but still we have no justice

Proactive steps we should take:

the anthropologist Cynthia Mehmood that wrote the book 'Fighting for Faith and Nation' has listed what proactive steps Sikhs need to take 25 years on

http://www.worldsikhnews.com/10%20June%202...20s%20heads.htm

she writes of 6 proactive steps Sikhs should take:

First, it would be necessary to conduct a series of well-thought-out workshops on the question of how the Sikh religion intersects with Punjabi culture. Sikhism is a universal faith, of course, yet we all know plainly that most gurdwara services are conducted in Punjabi, that Punjabi cultural values permeate everything Sikh. There are so many valuable things about this heritage. But, on the language issue especially, the continued use of Punjabi mono-lingually at events such as this one, at which one is trying to approach non-Sikhs who clearly do not understand the language, cannot be of help to a movement that is serious about its aims. In this age of technology, simultaneous translation running on a screen behind the speaker is easily possible; I’ve seen it among Kashmiris, who are way ahead of the Sikhs in terms of professionalization of a movement.

Second, I think it is time that the community hire on a permanent basis a small team of top flight international lawyers, who can be at the ready for opportunities like alien torts (through which, for example, an Indian human rights abuser could be sued in a Canadian court), who could approach UNESCO on the World Heritage Status of the Golden Temple Complex, who could be called upon on issues regarding the international humanitarian laws of war. This team could proactively work to ensure recognition of Sikh rights in every country where Sikhs live, instead of waiting for individual cases to react to. It could work on what the notion of self-determination actually means, in this 21st century, and explore other options for representation of sub-state collectivities.

Third, the community should hire real lobbyists, professional lobbying firms, in Washington, Ottawa, and London. Not just a few Sikhs with the passion for a cause, but a professional firm trained to advertize and push through an agenda. This is exactly what the government of India has done, and it is what you must do, as well. The sense of mistrust for non-Sikhs is antiquarian, and must be gotten over. Simply expect to hire and pay for the best. They will come to know well the environments of the capitals, know which bills should be supported and how to support them, and be able to think through how the assertion of Sikh rights, or a potential Sikh state, could benefit others.

Fourth, there should be a rotating youth initiative, perhaps set up as internships, to keep track of how the community is being perceived on the internet and to push the Sikh agenda electronically. Likewise, this group of young people, being unattached, could spring into action when opportunities presented themselves such as organizing aid to flood victims in New Orleans. Or, for example, I just found out tonight that the Council of Bishops in the Catholic Church have a firm principle that places of worship are inviolable. Young people, find out such a fact and having grown up here, more familiar with other faiths, could approach the Bishops and find out how to perhaps use this principle to protect the Golden Temple,perhaps to mobilize Catholics around the Sikh cause.

Fifth, the Sikh diasporan community must set up its own academic foundation. This foundation would fund scholarly research and writing projects on the Punjab conflict, human rights, and Sikhism in order to make sure that the tragic episode of the past two decades cannot be ignored in the historical record. It could also conduct workshops to help Punjabi scholars learn the standards of international academic publishing, and perhaps help link Western scholars to Punjabi scholars for entrée into Punjab. Most important, its financial support would enable the subaltern or nonstandard Sikh Studies, which views matters from the ground up rather than from New Delhi down, to continue to function and flourish.

Finally, the community must define and support the development of an archive and museum along the lines of the holocaust museums of the Jews. For this type of enterprise, one must be serious; one must hire a professional archivist and expect to spend money on restoration and preservation of artifacts. But doing this centrally will in the end cost less than every gurdwara having its own little library, as is now the case. Such a central archive and museum can also be accessible electronically worldwide, if the decision is made to locate the original outside of India.

i recommend everyone read the whole article

• 2 months later...

Challenge:

Naming the fav. Bwood movie stars: Passing with an A+ ..listed over 50, and was still going..

Challenge:

Naming 11 Guru jis: Failing at 20% ...remembered Guru Nanak Dev ji and Guru Gobind Singh ji..

Thats my sister she named 4 Hindu gods and 3 Sikh gurus

My parents don't let me help her... They want her to fit more in the western world

problem: every single problem u could ever imagine.

solution: nitnem

Love that one!

Challenge:

Challenge:

Thats my sister she named 4 Hindu gods and 3 Sikh gurus

My parents don't let me help her... They want her to fit more in the western world

That's really sad, there are alot of 'modern' parents these days who encourage their kids to drink, go clubbing alot and date- a complete turnaround from the old days. It's weird and almost as if the parents want the kids to either live out what they missed out on, or do what they used to do themselves.

I mean independence, even clubbing if you love a dance and music is ok but sikhs promoting blatant kaljug? :umm: