Sikhnet - Money Hungry!

searcher

Sadh Sangat Ji

I have been visitied sikhnet.com many many times over the past 8 years and see on many occasions, the sikhnet team! asking for money through donations which calculate way above $150000 for their annual funding appeal.

I have many sikh and professional friends who create, maintain and manage small to very large web sites and organisations, which also provide a very important service to their users as do sikhnet, but the key difference is that they run these sites using their own earnings and funding.

I refuse to believe that it costs $150000 a year to run and manage sikhnet.com especially as the site uses many freely available online resources to benefit their users i.e youtube, blogger and their online forum using phpBB.

Please see below the costs of running a web site similier to sikhnet.com:

Web site hosting per year - $1000-$2000

Youtube account - Free

Blogger account - Free

Web forum software - Free-$50

A decent video camera & equipment - $1000-$2000

A decent digital camera - $500-$1000

Downloads offered by sikhnet - Free Third Party (Gurbanifonts.com, sikhitothemax.com, gurbanianywhere.com, searchgurbani.com)

Wallpapers - Submitted by online sangat worldwide for Free

Search sikhnet - Free provided by Google

And so on...........

WHERE IS THE SANGATS $1000's OF DONATED MONEY GOING!!!!!

In typical sikhnet.con fashion, they are now asking for $25000 to develop a "Gurbani Media Center" again they have not justified costs of developing such a software. A few years back sikhnet requested the online sangat to send in donations of money and mobile phones so that they can develop software and web sites to be viewed on mobile phones....i am still waiting to see the product of my donations!!!!

Why is sikhnet so expensive to run! especially when what it offers is just like many other free sikh web sites....

Sangat ji before you donate to sikhnet again please investigate and ask questions to where your money is going, i suspect you wont like what you will find!

Didn't youpost exactly the same thing some time ago?

If you don't want to donate, then don't - simple as.

They have full time employees and also spend alot making videos and other eductaional material in English, for children and adults.

Why do you expect everything to do with Sikhi to be free? That attitude is why educated people are reluctant to become full time Granthis or Kirtanees and why there is such a lack of quality literature in our community.

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh

whos gonna pay the workers that work there full time?

whos going to pay the develpors they hire to creat stuff like the media center thingy?

whose gonna pay people to maintain there servers?

whos going to pay the bandwidth that gets used up for milions of ppl visting there site?

whos going to pay for the building and gurdwara costs?

whos going to pay for all those prizes they give away and the film festival?

whos going to pay for everything they do ofline like the camps?

there are many more things.

if you dont like it then simply dont donate but theres no need to put people against sikhnet.

do some research before. its not just a website they do alot more things. to run all those radio stations costs alot on its own anyways

vaheguroo jee ka khalsa vaheguroo jee kee fateh

You know we could level the same sort of complaints at many Gurdwara committees who get massive funds but do nothing for the panth.

At least these guy have invested in Panjab and created a decent educational institute.

If you are looking for the real leeches of Sikh funds look at the SGPC.

Fateh!

The Sikhs at SikhNet.com do a great job. They have fulltime employees working for them who can earn far more in the corporate world than they do working at SikhNet, but they do their seva out of pyaar.

If you don't feel that they should be getting paid as much, go and work for them for a year and tell us what you think you should be earning then.

Regards,

K.

I agree in some points with the original poster. They do what they want to do; doing sewa aswell as making good money.

Gurbani Media Center $25000? What for? Any detailed expense sheet on this? You can buy, professionaly install with lots of space server for top $10,000. Don't know where that figure comes from. Are they gonna pay royalty fees to Ragi jathas? If yes then it is completely okay to ask for 25 K but if they are going to get free audio files then i am sure that there will be many who will raise the copyright issue and they will get into trouble.

Their yearly budget is over 250K and they do not provide much information than other online websites. They live in such a remote location that they don't have any other option but to rely on this website to make money.

With 250K, they should arrange camps (FREE OF COST), provide social help to poor in Punjab etc. They should take time to go out of virtual world and see the real world and with such blessing sangat's maya they should be doing hundreds of sikhi based projects all around the world WITHOUT any strings attached.

I used to donate $50 a month 6 years ago but not anymore. Still this is free world, they can do anything they want to do :)