Sikh History Books

Singhstah

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJKiFateh!

So it's summer, and I was hoping to get some sikh history books, I'm after some historical eye-witness accounts, as old as they get. Any suggestions of readily available books? (i.e. on amazon). Are there actually any translations of giani gian singh's, rattan singh bhangoo's, etc. works?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"When they take up a musket in hand at the time of battle, they come to the field fiercely springing and roaring like lions and immediately split many a breast and make the blood of many others spill in the dust. You may say that this musket was invented by these dogs (sikhs). Though guns are possessed in large numbers by others, yet nobody knows them better. These bad-tempered people discharge hundreds of bullets on the enemy on the right and left and infront and on the back. If you disbelieve in what i say, enquire from the brave warriors who will tell you more than what I have said and would have nothing but praise for their art of war. The witnesses of my statement are those thirty thousand heroes who fought with them."

Quzi Nur Mohammed, Jang Namah, (Battle Chronicles) 1765

Quzi Nur Mohammed, Jang Namah, (Battle Chronicles) 1765<<<<<<<<read that

There is a new book on the COMPLETE history of Hari Singh Nalwa. the greatest sikh general of the times of ranjit singh. this book has many untold and hidden information about hari singh. it was written in accordance with his descendant by Nidar Singh Nihang and Paramjit Singh.

There is also Sikh history from Perisan sources edited by J.S. Grewal and Irfan Habib. Together with Sicques, Tigers and Theives these books cover the major early European and Persian sources.

You can read some reviews of these books here, some of the contents are quoted too.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/books-on-sikhism/index2.html

Thank you to everyone for all your advice, for starters I have ordered sicques tigers or thieves, cant wait for it to arrive. Please do keep any more suggestions coming for the benefit of all readers :)

Oh, and just wondering, does anyone know of any books which perhaps detail the strategies, formations,etc. used in Sikh wars, i.e. detailed battle descriptions? I imagine these would not be too hard to get for the anglo-sikh wars or something similar (eg.mahraja ranjit singh), but imagine finding anything like this for our Guru Mahraj's battles slightly more difficult. Does anyone know if any such books or records exist?

Thank you to everyone for all your advice, for starters I have ordered sicques tigers or thieves, cant wait for it to arrive. Please do keep any more suggestions coming for the benefit of all readers :)

Oh, and just wondering, does anyone know of any books which perhaps detail the strategies, formations,etc. used in Sikh wars, i.e. detailed battle descriptions? I imagine these would not be too hard to get for the anglo-sikh wars or something similar (eg.mahraja ranjit singh), but imagine finding anything like this for our Guru Mahraj's battles slightly more difficult. Does anyone know if any such books or records exist?

There is a book called "THe sword of the Khalsa" I read by a Hindu author. Although he writes from an Indian nationalist perspective the work does cover the battle strategies of the early Sikh battles better than any other work I have read.

Check it out.

http://www.vedamsbooks.com/no15037.htm