Topic: Drugs And Bhang

CONVERSATIONS WITH THE SRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI

Topic: Drugs and Bhang

Q/ Guru Jee please tell me, can Sikhs take drugs or intoxicants?

Answer:

ਮਤੀ ਮਰਣੁ ਵਿਸਾਰਿਆ ਖੁਸੀ ਕੀਤੀ ਦਿਨ ਚਾਰਿ ॥

ਸਚੁ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਸੋਫੀਆ ਰਾਖਣ ਕਉ ਦਰਵਾਰੁ॥1॥

"(The people who are intoxicated); they have forgotten death, and have fun for a few days (only). Those who do not use intoxicants are true; they dwell in the Court of Waheguru. ||1||"

(SGGS - Ang 15)

Q/ But my friends said that are certain drugs which are allowed in Sikhi. Is this true, and if so what drugs are they?

Answer:

ਭਗਤਿ ਠਗਉਰੀ ਪਾਇ ਮੋਹਹ ਅਨਤ ਕਤਹੂ ਨ ਧਾਵਹ ॥

"With the intoxicating drug of Bhagti (devotional worship) let's entice Waheguru, and not wander anywhere else."

(SGGS – Ang 846)

Q/ But Guru Jee what about those people who say its take drugs or intoxicants to get closer to Waheguru? Would that be okay?

Answer:

ਗੁਰ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਲਗਾਵਹੁ ਮੇਰੈ ਹੀਅਰੈ ਮੇਰੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਪਰਾਨਾ ॥

ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਈਐ ਮੇਰੇ ਠਾਕੁਰ ਜਿਉ ਅਮਲੀ ਅਮਲਿ ਲੁਭਾਨਾ ॥੨॥

"O Guru! Fill my heart with the constant love for Waheguru; may the Name of my Beloved become the breath of my life. Just as a drug addict is happy being intoxicated with drugs (and without the intoxicant he cannot survive, similarly) without Waheguru's Name may I die. ||2||"

(SGGS – Ang 697)

Q/ Wow! Guru Jee I never knew that. But what about the Singhs who say that its okay to take Bhang and they even give Bhang as form of Parshaad to the Sangat (called 'Sukh Nidhaan')?

ਭਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਭਾਂਗ ਖਲੜੀ ਮੇਰਾ ਚੀਤੁ ॥ ਮੈ ਦੇਵਾਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਅਤੀਤੁ ॥

ਕਰ ਕਾਸਾ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀ ਭੂਖ ॥ ਮੈ ਦਰਿ ਮਾਗਉ ਨੀਤਾ ਨੀਤ ॥1॥

"The Fear of You, O Waheguru, is for me marijuana (cannabis); and my consciousness is the pouch that holds it. (With the marijuana of Your Love) I have become an intoxicated hermit. My hands are my begging bowl (for Your blessings); I have (spiritual) hungry for the blessed vision of Your Darshan; (and for this reason) I beg at Your Door, day after day (wishing to meet You). ||1||"

(SGGS - Ang 721)

Q/ So what happens to those people who keep saying that Sikhs can and should take Bhang and even say its part of 'Puraatan Maryada' (Sikh tradition)?

Answer:

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥

ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥233॥

"O Kabeer! Those people who drink sharaab (alcohol), consuming 'bhang' (drugs) and eat fish (meat) - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||"

(SGGS - Ang 1377)

Q/ That's serious! If this is the case, then why do Nihang Singhs and other people keep claiming they are following old Maryada and what they are doing is right?

Answer:

ਕਬੀਰ ਸਾਚਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੈ ਜਉ ਸਿਖਾ ਮਹਿ ਚੂਕ ॥

ਅੰਧੇ ਏਕ ਨ ਲਾਗਈ ਜਿਉ ਬਾਂਸੁ ਬਜਾਈਐ ਫੂਕ ॥੧੫੮॥

"O Kabeer! What can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault? The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||"

(SGGS – Ang 1372)

Q/ Some people say that Guru Jee allowed Bhang to be used as a pain-relief for his soldiers and the only way to stay free from the strong affects of Bhang is by consuming a little bit of Bhang every day. Is this true?

Answer:

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ॥

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਲਾਗੈ ਧੂਰਿ ॥

"Receiving the True Teachings from the Guru, arguments depart. But through excessive cleverness, one is only plastered with dirt (of vice and corruption)."

(SGGS – Ang 352)

Q/ Thanks Guru Jee for clearing up everything because for so long I have been confused. My last question would be that if someone starts quoting scholars, old historical Granths (texts), and claiming thats its Maryada to have 5 leaves of Bhang then what quick and easy answer could I give?

Answer:

ਬਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਬਾਣੀ ਵਿਚਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੇ ॥

ਗੁਰੁ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਸੇਵਕੁ ਜਨੁ ਮਾਨੈ ਪਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਨਿਸਤਾਰੇ ॥੫॥

"The (Guru's) Word, Bani, is the Guru (of the Sikh), and the Guru is the Bani. Within (the Guru's) Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained. If His humble servant believes and acts according to the Guru's Bani, then the Guru, in person, liberates them. ||5||"

(SGGS – Ang 982)

Fateh!

That wasn't really a conversation, that was just you taking a dig at Nihang maryada.

If you have a problem with sukhnidaan, don't take it. It's that simple.

If you don't agree with chatka, or shikaar, or Dasam Granth, or Sarbloh Ganth, that's all good too - there's lots of space in Sikhi for Sattvic-oriented Sants who would prefer to achieve mukti in this lifetime in the easiest way possible without having to go to war, or suffer the pangs of hunger, or the adrenalin surge of jung, or the agony of physical wounds.

If you choose to ignore history and pretend that all Sikhs have always been Vaisnavite pacifist tree-huggers who lived solely on badaam and paneer in jung, and didn't need painkillers or medication to relax fraught nerves and pre-fight anxiety because they could cure wounds and reattach limbs with the power of Naam alone, that's fine too.

Just don't twist gurbani to prove your own point of view.

Akali Baba Nihal Singh Jinda Shahid, Jathedar of Harianbela Dal will be in the UK shortly. Go and speak to him if you want to know the history of Sukha and other puratan Sikh maryada.

Regards,

K.

Learning invloves asking a series of questions in the presence of someone with knowledge.

You really need to take these questions into the Nihang Singh Dals, ask them who follow the maryada. To take these questions into the Dal Panth will require strength and courage - to post on the internet requires no strength or no courage.

Read between the lines.

looool aha nice posts .... its upto u guys wat u wanna choose !! khao peeo aish karo mitro :p

"GURMUKH LAHA LAI GAYE, MANMUKH CHALE MUL GAVAYE JIO" .....

in puratan times nine out of ten singhs hab dat very state of bir ras as bhai sahib explained in his post below... bt now a days waheguru kirpa kare ....

Sri Guru Dashmesh Patshah's Khanda Philosophy

By Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh in "Gurmat Vichaar"

The fearless state of "parupkaar" or beneficence is the pinnacle of naam maha-ras kamaiee. Only after reaching this state can someone be a par-upkaari (person dedicated to help others). Those whose spiritual state, through the power of meditation and baani, becomes such that it is beyond the body; those who make their jeevan rise above the self with spiritual power; those who are intoxicated with naam ras and have transcended their body and whose personal bhagti kamaiee is such that:

ਕਬੀਰ ਤੂੰ ਤੂੰ ਕਰਤਾ ਤੂ ਹੂਆ ਮੁਝ ਮਹਿ ਰਹਾ ਨ ਹੂੰ ॥

ਜਬ ਆਪਾ ਪਰ ਕਾ ਮਿਟਿ ਗਇਆ ਜਤ ਦੇਖਉ ਤਤ ਤੂ ॥੨੦੪॥The meaning of the above vaak applies to them; those in whose every pore chardi kala bir ras is rising in waves, only that person can be a par-upkaari. The meaning of having this bir ras for par-upkaar is that if in front of them there are atrocities being inflicted on the weak, dharma is being insulted, injustice and tyranny are happening, they will have the instinct to protect the weak and defend the faith. But in this instinct, there is not even a trace of enemity or anger or ego. This instinct is the desire to sacrifice the body, mind, wealth and everything else. Only then can we know that true bir ras for par-upkaar has been born.

As this bir ras works inside, the naam khanda begins to vibrate with double the intensity. Inside this naam khanda is beating and outside, the sarblohi khanda is moving and destroying the tyrants and opposition. The internal connection to naam is not broken for even an instant: this is the mark of a bir-ras coloured par-upkaari warrior.

Sri Dashmesh jee says the following about this avastha:

ਧੰਨ ਜੀਓ ਤਿਹ ਕੋ ਜਗ ਮੈ ਮੁਖ ਤੇ ਹਰਿ ਚਿੱਤ ਮੈ ਜੁਧੁ ਬਿਚਾਰੈ ॥ ਦੇਹ ਅਨਿੱਤ ਨ ਨਿੱਤ ਰਹੈ ਜਸੁ ਨਾਵ ਚੜੈ ਭਵਸਾਗਰ ਤਾਰੈ ॥ਧੀਰਜ ਧਾਮ ਬਨਾਇ ਇਹੈ ਤਨ ਬੁੱਧਿ ਸੁ ਦੀਪਕ ਜਿਉ ਉਜੀਆਰੈ ॥ ਗਯਾਨਹਿ ਕੀ ਬਢਨੀ ਮਨਹੁ ਹਾਥ ਲੈ ਕਾਤਰਤਾ ਕੁਤਵਾਰ ਬੁਹਾਰੈ ॥੨੪੯੨॥

The par-upkaari warrior has no fear of death and doesn't care about dying. He is not afraid of an army of hundreds of thousands facing him. He is jeevan mukat and those whom he dispatches with his sword, he gives them the sherbet of shahidi and makes them immortal. He then himself becomes a shahid. No one dies by his hand, instead, those who become a sacrifice for his Sri Sahib become immortal. It is for this reason that whenever any soldier in the opposing army was pierced by Sri Dashmesh jee's arrow he would say "vah vah" and go into bliss, regardless of if he was Hindu or Muslim.

Tasting the shahidi ras of Baba Deep Singh jee's khanda, even those hearts burnt by hatred and enmity became cool and calm.

Shahid Baba Deep Singh's head was separated from his body, but the smiling and glowing face with its calmness remained unchanged. Having completed this game of sacrifice Baba jee's head rested on his left hand and watching the Hola of Shahidi around him. The headless body was still swinging the khanda and dispatching hundreds to death. No! No! Giving them a taste of shahidi sherbet! News of this is spreading far and wide and as a result the enemy army is scattering like ants in an instant. History is witness to this and Baba jee's name will remain for ages to come.

This is one example of the warrior spirit of the Guru-ghar's par-upkaar incarnate servants. This example is enough to demonstrate the bir-rasi parupkari's shaant ras (calm) avastha. This is the ideal of the bir-ras and shaant-ras Gurmat parupkar.

The meaning of this is that only those beloved Gurmukhs who rise above the body, walk with their head on their palm, with unbreakable connections (to naam) can become parupkaari bir-rasi bibekis whose connection is so solid that even under unspeakable torture it will not break and their glowing foreheads and internal shaant ras remain unchanged.

What power is it that kept warriors like Bhai Taru Singh, the embodiment of shaant ras, completely unmoved as his scalp was being removed? What power was it that kept beloved Bhai Vir Singh Naurangabad unmoving like a mountain, in smaadhi , as cannons boomed around him? What divine power was it that kept Bhai Mati Das, as he was being sawin alive, and Bhai Dayala jee in the boiling pot from feeling any pain? Which miraculous power was it that kept Bhai Mani Singh as he was being cut piece by piece, and Bhai Subeg Singh being broken on the wheel from even thinking of uttering a cry? It was only that solid connection to naam maha-ras. This is the enjoyment of supreme bliss. This is the state of chardi kala soorbirta. This is the true peace of treating pain and pleasure as the same. This is the high state of spiritual colours. This is the fearless state born from the true love and fear (of Vahiguru).

Without attaining this very state, true bir ras and the spirit of par-upkaar born from this are impossible. Here (in this state), bir ras and shaant ras are indistinguishable. This is the philosophy of Kalgidhar Paatshaah's Sarblohi Khanda, which Buddhists, Jains and Ahimsa-followers are unable to understand.

Answer:

"(The people who are intoxicated); they have forgotten death, and have fun for a few days (only). Those who do not use intoxicants are true; they dwell in the Court of Waheguru. ||1||"

(SGGS - Ang 15)

Q/ But my friends said that are certain drugs which are allowed in Sikhi. Is this true, and if so what drugs are they?

Answer:

"With the intoxicating drug of Bhagti (devotional worship) let's entice Waheguru, and not wander anywhere else."

(SGGS – Ang 846)

Q/ But Guru Jee what about those people who say its take drugs or intoxicants to get closer to Waheguru? Would that be okay?

Answer:

"O Guru! Fill my heart with the constant love for Waheguru; may the Name of my Beloved become the breath of my life. Just as a drug addict is happy being intoxicated with drugs (and without the intoxicant he cannot survive, similarly) without Waheguru's Name may I die. ||2||"

(SGGS – Ang 697)

Q/ Wow! Guru Jee I never knew that. But what about the Singhs who say that its okay to take Bhang and they even give Bhang as form of Parshaad to the Sangat (called 'Sukh Nidhaan')?

"The Fear of You, O Waheguru, is for me marijuana (cannabis); and my consciousness is the pouch that holds it. (With the marijuana of Your Love) I have become an intoxicated hermit. My hands are my begging bowl (for Your blessings); I have (spiritual) hungry for the blessed vision of Your Darshan; (and for this reason) I beg at Your Door, day after day (wishing to meet You). ||1||"

(SGGS - Ang 721)

Q/ So what happens to those people who keep saying that Sikhs can and should take Bhang and even say its part of 'Puraatan Maryada' (Sikh tradition)?

Answer:

"O Kabeer! Those people who drink sharaab (alcohol), consuming 'bhang' (drugs) and eat fish (meat) - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||233||"

(SGGS - Ang 1377)

Q/ That's serious! If this is the case, then why do Nihang Singhs and other people keep claiming they are following old Maryada and what they are doing is right?

Answer:

"O Kabeer! What can the True Guru do, when His Sikhs are at fault? The blind do not take in any of His Teachings; it is as useless as blowing into bamboo. ||158||"

(SGGS – Ang 1372)

Q/ Some people say that Guru Jee allowed Bhang to be used as a pain-relief for his soldiers and the only way to stay free from the strong affects of Bhang is by consuming a little bit of Bhang every day. Is this true?

Answer:

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ॥

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਲਾਗੈ ਧੂਰਿ ॥

"Receiving the True Teachings from the Guru, arguments depart. But through excessive cleverness, one is only plastered with dirt (of vice and corruption)."

(SGGS – Ang 352)

Q/ Thanks Guru Jee for clearing up everything because for so long I have been confused. My last question would be that if someone starts quoting scholars, old historical Granths (texts), and claiming thats its Maryada to have 5 leaves of Bhang then what quick and easy answer could I give?

Answer:

"The (Guru's) Word, Bani, is the Guru (of the Sikh), and the Guru is the Bani. Within (the Guru's) Bani, the Ambrosial Nectar is contained. If His humble servant believes and acts according to the Guru's Bani, then the Guru, in person, liberates them. ||5||"

(SGGS – Ang 982)

would love to see you go to the dal and quote all this.... will be a sight to see you walking away with a slapped up baby face and your humongous 50 in your hands

Answer:

(SGGS - Ang 15)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 846)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 697)

(SGGS - Ang 721)

Answer:

(SGGS - Ang 1377)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 1372)

Answer:

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ॥

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਲਾਗੈ ਧੂਰਿ ॥

(SGGS – Ang 352)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 982)

would love to see you go to the dal and quote all this.... will be a sight to see you walking away with a slapped up baby face and your humongous 50 in your hands

looool mainu lagda bhanga ta c class drug aa .. common singho go for some gud stuff like cocaine or heroine ... get collectin frm now pata nahi kado yudh larna pai jana ... dharamraj kol jan to pela kha ke jaeo .... ho sakda uthe vi koi prblm aa jave :p

Answer:

(SGGS - Ang 15)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 846)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 697)

(SGGS - Ang 721)

Answer:

(SGGS - Ang 1377)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 1372)

Answer:

ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਾਚੀ ਹੁਜਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ॥

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਸਿਆਣਪ ਲਾਗੈ ਧੂਰਿ ॥

(SGGS – Ang 352)

Answer:

(SGGS – Ang 982)

do not cuss down nihang rehit! its one rehit which hasnt been changed singh maharajs time, unlike some other rehits....

like people have said go to dal and speak to them about sukhniddan, just because you dont agree with nihang rehit doesnt mean you can post a ''conversation'' such as that.

Thats nothing more then beadbi of bani of guru granth sahib ... is guru granth sahib a lawyer or we have been taught just to use it ... this is the classic example of having a mind set and then proving it from guru granth sahib ... a sikh should follow and learn from guru granth sahib to have a mind set....

manmukh --- who has his mind set before he start following guru sahib ... and he follows guru granth sahib to not only keep his manmukhta alive but to enhance it ... i think abc is right now lets search guru granth sahib from a specific website with my keywords .... take the tuks which are in favour of what my mind thinks ignore the tuuks against and transform the tuks which which can be changed to suit my thinking ... such people dont even look sroops of guru granth sahib for guidance ... just their keywords and a website and their ability to copy and paste ... when such person dies people say a scholar has died ...

gurmukh --- who goes in sharan of guru granth sahib and guru khalsa panth with 0 in his mind ... blank mind ... he starts from and progress up ... learn from guru granth sahib guru khalsa panth learn from saints and sadhus and when such a person dies people say a guru ka sikh has died ....

And regarding question answers with guru granth sahib ji … who in this world is strong enough to question guru granth sahib … its ardas and hukam …

The basic condition is there should be guru granth sahib present …

There are two ways one what ever ur question is take a single hukamnama that’s it … not that if my answer is not answered in first hukamnama I should take other … guru is samrath he understood our question very well and gave a best hukam if we cant understand it its our fault …

Second is start reading from starting ank … in form of sehaj path … and not the tuks which answers u … and complete ur sehaj path …

I don’t which form is used here to talk with guru sahib …

Lets do ardas and see whats hukam of guru granth sahib from sri darbar sahib sri amritsar it will guide us for sure.

June 26, 2009, Friday 04:30 AM. IST

ਟੋਡੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥ ਗਰਬਿ ਗਹਿਲੜੋ ਮੂੜੜੋ ਹੀਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਹੀਓ ਮਹਰਾਜ ਰੀ ਮਾਇਓ ॥ ਡੀਹਰ ਨਿਆਈ ਮੋਹਿ ਫਾਕਿਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ ਘਣੋ ਘਣੋ ਘਣੋ ਸਦ ਲੋੜੈ ਬਿਨੁ ਲਹਣੇ ਕੈਠੈ ਪਾਇਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਮਹਰਾਜ ਰੋ ਗਾਥੁ ਵਾਹੂ ਸਿਉ ਲੁਭੜਿਓ ਨਿਹਭਾਗੜੋ ਭਾਹਿ ਸੰਜੋਇਓ ਰੇ ॥੧॥ ਸੁਣਿ ਮਨ ਸੀਖ ਸਾਧੂ ਜਨ ਸਗਲੋ ਥਾਰੇ ਸਗਲੇ ਪ੍ਾਛਤ ਮਿਟਿਓ ਰੇ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੋ ਲਹਣੋ ਮਹਰਾਜ ਰੀ ਗਾਠੜੀਓ ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ਨ ਪਉੜਿਓ ਰੇ ॥੨॥੨॥੧੯॥

English Translation:

TODEE, FIFTH MEHL: My foolish heart is in the grip of pride. By the Will of my Lord God, Maya, like a witch, has swallowed by soul. || Pause || More and more, he continually yearns for more; but unless he is destined to receive, how can he obtain it? He is entangled in wealth, bestowed by the Lord God; the unfortunate one attaches himself to the fire of desires. || 1 || Listen, O mind, to the Teachings of the Holy Saints, and all your sins shall be totally washed away. One who is destined to receive from the Lord, O servant Nanak, shall not be cast into the womb of reincarnation again. || 2 || 2 || 19 ||

everyone has the choice what they want to be a bhagat or a scholar …