A Question About Skirts/dresses

Ok, first of all, don't take this thread too seriously.. :)

I'm just wondering if Kaurs can wear skirts (i don't mean miniskirts but something of an appropriate length) or dresses. The only times i've seen sikh women wearing skirt (or lengha or whatever) is in some wedding pictures. Is there some unspoken rule that prohibits wearing skirts? And that we should only wear pants? Would wearing a skirt be seen as something un-sikh? Is there some history behind it?

I was thinking that it might partly be because Kaurs are supposed to be warriors and it would be difficult to fight and ride a horse in a skirt. I've also heard at least sarees being clearly condemned because it's a hindu dress.

Anyway, looking forward to answers.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh!

Ok, first of all, don't take this thread too seriously.. :)

I'm just wondering if Kaurs can wear skirts (i don't mean miniskirts but something of an appropriate length) or dresses. The only times i've seen sikh women wearing skirt (or lengha or whatever) is in some wedding pictures. Is there some unspoken rule that prohibits wearing skirts? And that we should only wear pants? Would wearing a skirt be seen as something un-sikh? Is there some history behind it?

I was thinking that it might partly be because Kaurs are supposed to be warriors and it would be difficult to fight and ride a horse in a skirt. I've also heard at least sarees being clearly condemned because it's a hindu dress. ???

Anyway, looking forward to answers.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh!

I dont think Sikhs have a "Telaban" type mentality regarding dress code. We should dress modestly thats all.

If one does not shave ones legs then its best to wear trousers isnt it?

Never heard of your last comment from anyone.

Umm.. i had never thought that legs should be covered just because they aren't shaved, i mean people don't cover their arms or faces either. I think the inappropriateness comes from showing the legs, not the hair on the legs.

Thanks for the link to the sari discussion.. seems interesting.. will read it through later.

Wonderful post by Fauj Kaur bhenji there btw.. :)

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!!

As a Sikh, and Sikh woman, I feel that you can wear anything you want to wear, as long as you wear your uniform with gracefulness, and acknowledge the fact that what you are wearing is only being worn because you feel comfortable in it, and that in no shape or form you are embarrassing yourself.

Basically if you are an Amirthari woman, you can wear anything and look beautiful. Because no matter what you are wearing, you can never depart from your 5 K's, remember when we took Amrit, the 5 K's became part of our limbs. The bottom line is, when you decide what you are going to wear, you need to it with respect, dignity and courage. Make sure what you wear is for yourself, not for anyone. For instance, you are not trying to impress someone with what you are wearing.

No mater what the circumstances, if you are Amrithari Sikh woman, it is your duty to keep your form, and identity as a Sikh. Clothes are modest and exemplary for ones identity and character, but remember when you took Amrit, you gave your head to Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji, and it is duty to live this lifestyle with the utmost respect and dignity.

With that said, remember what you wear, should be reflection of Guru Ji's teaching. Will you be able to do your nitnem in what you are wearing? Can you do Seva in what you are wearing? Will you be comfortable enough to do Kirtan? Will you be ready to fight if needed too? Can you walk, sit, run, or move, while doing Simran? I know many of us don't do this 24/7, we do have "social lives" like going to the Prom. But remember live your life so that when you are close to death, you can look back and say I have no regrets, that as an Amrithari woman, I lived my life to the fullest extent with Guru Ji's teaching along my side.

Always remember that in this life time, no matter what you do, your actions will always be judged by others, however, it is your intentions that will be judged by Guru Ji.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!!

"no matter what you do, your actions will always be judged by others, however, it is your intentions that will be judged by Guru Ji."

i get what you mean but i feel this statment would be inorrect.

this statment suggests that even if the outcome is bad, but the intention is good, then it is ok..

islam works alot on this principle.

i dont think ethnic clensing is on anyones list as somthing that would be overlooked in gods court.

the christians (some anyway) say that self harming is good because this body is a prison and so the soul must be liberated.. the intention is good, but it is the messed up logic that leads to insanity like this. (not to put a downer on anything though!!.. :rolleyes: )

wearing clothes that are 'suggestful', instigates and exercises maya. humble clothes dont.

looking 'subhaan' or 'jorbanvant' does not come from material stuff. clothes dont make one look good.

it is the cheera. the whole notion of exercising the senses for beauty is not gurmat. it is the 'forbiddon fruit' to exercise the senses in this way. (think i better stop in case i get accused of being too serious! :umm:

aatam ras jehi jaaniyae!

gurftaeh

A true warrior believes in non-violence.

????

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS???

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT OUR 10th GURU SACRIFICED HIS FOUR SONS??

TWO OF THEM DIED IN BATTLE

GURU JI HIMSELF MADE HIS SONS READY FOR BATTLE GURU JI HIMSELF TIED THEIR DOUMALA,

GURU JI HIMSELF HANDED THEM SHASTAR

:@ <_< :umm: :o :) :lol: :D :6

A true warrior believes in non-violence.

????

HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS???

HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN THAT OUR 10th GURU SACRIFICED HIS FOUR SONS??

TWO OF THEM DIED IN BATTLE

GURU JI HIMSELF MADE HIS SONS READY FOR BATTLE GURU JI HIMSELF TIED THEIR DOUMALA,

GURU JI HIMSELF HANDED THEM SHASTAR

:@ <_< :umm: :o :) :lol: :D :6

You're correct.. :)HOWEVER..!!

You're forgetting the most important thing... WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS..It is righteous to raise the sword ..ONLY WHENNN....Taking acceptable/appropriate steps to help someone, and in the right mind.. FOR JUSTICE ONLY

:D :lol: :) :rolleyes: :o