A Question About Skirts/dresses

Hiya

I wore a skirt to school everyday and then to work and wear them out aswell so I'm used to wearing skirts and find them very comfortable. I find jeans to tight and think they tend to look tartier than skirts ive worn and boys seem to like girls in jeans for some strange reason (hence the song 'in those jeans' by ginuwine and others dedicated to girls in jeans by Bobby Valentino etc')

The typs of skirts I've worn are called pencil skirts which are impossible to fly up with the wind and look really smart. My skirts have always been decent and if they were too short to wear n their own I would alway team them with a pair of leggings, I think they look very corporate and feminine for work ie. skirt suit, and are great for parties as long as they dont look trashy and too short, or not worn with tights or leggings when appropriate.

Just for the record I hate clubbing and parties and if I go it's usually because its someones birthday or my parents force me to go (yes they force me to go clubbing no joke I fight and fight- although I try my best not to because its against sikhi to find with your parents- but sometimes they win).

It may sound funny but I actually feel more exposed wearing trousers and tops unless they are dress tops or extra long tops, maybe its just a psychological thing but skirts are what I feel most comfortable in.

so i take it youre not kesdhari???????????? :wacko:

Its soooo kewl to cut your hair huh????????? :6

your parents encourage you to be foolish??????? :umm:

I wear skirts that are modest "BUT WHEN I DONT i wear leggings",,,,, ???? why wear a short skirt then????????? just as a guy who wears a hat over a bandana (cant figure out which one to wear so I might as well wear jeans under my shorts :huh: )

The typs of skirts I've worn are called pencil skirts which are impossible to fly up with the wind and look really smart. My skirts have always been decent and if they were too short to wear n their own I would alway team them with a pair of leggings, I think they look very corporate and feminine for work

secular world encourages females to look pretty for the company because they know idiots gawk over women shown off as trophies for their company. They wont hire an ugly but intelligent woman, but any dumb "cute looking" chick.

How can a skirt look smart?????? other than a boss approving they like you wearing a skirt to work to have someone to look at while speaking to an employee?? is that looking smart or feeling comfortable with the company knowing there isnt an ugly chick in the office etc.......

Yeah Id be comfortable walking around in my kasheras (knee length nihang kashera etc) but...... society doesnt encourage me to wear my kashersa and a nice button up shirt to work :p but.... I would be surely comfortable though

Sellout our Sikhi for a skirt and pretend to have a spiritual understandning because we have been to the Gurdwara before or we go once a week????? :BL:

Lets trade our Sikhi for societies retarded approval??? awesome thinking <_<

I have a question.

Just because some of these girls go to gurdwara much more than people like me, or do much more paat than people like me; does it give them the right to wear skirts or shoulderless clothes, or have boyfriends/exes, or maybe even glassy? And why do they expect us turban guys to marry them just because they are "religious"?

I wouldn;t ask questions like this if I didn;t see girls like this, they are increasing, especially from ghetto areas, but everywhere is changing.

I have a question.

Just because some of these girls go to gurdwara much more than people like me, or do much more paat than people like me; does it give them the right to wear skirts or shoulderless clothes, or have boyfriends/exes, or maybe even glassy? And why do they expect us turban guys to marry them just because they are "religious"?

I wouldn;t ask questions like this if I didn;t see girls like this, they are increasing, especially from ghetto areas, but everywhere is changing.

They mostly like do this because in the eyes of the parents and other elders they are sitting doing paath and then going to the Gurdwara, they are good kids, applies to both genders. It's a cover to do what their heart truly desires which is getting involved in worldly affairs.

And some are just having a tough time choosing what's best for them and they end up on both sides.

Can't judge and say all do it, but we can't deny it isn't happening.

Just ignore these characters and focus on yourself. They're only fooling themselves no one else at the end of the day.

In this case there are three different types of youth Sikhs etc.... 1) Religious people that do paat and chant Naam, they go to the Gurdwara and try to learn new things and actually apply them in their lives, they try to do as the Gurus did and actually treat Sri Guru Granth Sahib as their Guru. 2) People that try to be kewl at school and around the "hood" and then go to the Gurdwara so they dont lose out in the end(this is called duality and youll lose in the end) they pretend Sri Guru Granth Sahib is their Guru. 3) People who are completely secular and maybe atheist they hate going to the Gurdwara and see being religious as a waste of time(because it takes away from their worldly ways) they only go to the Gurdwara because they have to either because their parents make them or they wont get allowance money or computers or video games etc.)

What do they wear? Person number one stays in Guru Sahibs roop, they tie a turban male/female, they like to wear kurta/chola/salwar etc, and try to uphold the additude of former Sikhs/Shaheeds. Person number two is the type that wears a kurta with jeans underneath, they try to blend indian cultural elements and tries to use that aspect as their Sikh appearance, they will wear a turban every once in a while "if' they keep their hair, they have some bit of secular fashion that seems to make them shun kurta/chola and makes a new masala that is never steady and has lots of room for changing with trends etc. Person number three hates kurta/chola/salwar, they hate turbans and anything that makes society know they are related to Sikhs, they might have got a tattoo once of a khanda sahib or ik oankar and other than that they dont like anything related to appearing even remotely religious, they think being religious is a weakness and doesnt help them look "kewl" to society, they are the type that buys clothes and wears them without removing the tags they walk like they are constipated or sat on extremely hot water they buy pant sizes 5-6 times too big they tend to speak the new fad words that only are understandable to other foolish people, they tend to care only about money and how kewl they look.

Whats their outlook? Person number 1 doesnt care what society cares about how they look in any regards. Person number 2 wears the latest trend but with wear a kurta/salwar on sunday and if they see their secular friends they will feel embarrased to be in panjabi clothes, but if they are in their trend clothes they feel wierd around their freinds who are in Gurus Roop. Person number 3 has animosity to people who are religious and have bad additudes when it comes to religious matters, they only care about the newest trends (which constantly change so whats kewl this week might be nerdy the next) If it aint kewl they wont wear it if society doesnt think its "boss" then they look the other way.

Then the rest of people are in one group moving to the next so they have remaining stains of the previous group, some might start at one and end up another in any particular order, reflecting Gurus Sikhi is the goal of a Sikh not just matha tek know a few here and theres and then thinking Sikhi has a reward for them. People that try too hard to fit in and never who they are, they are only a black sheep whether in a good group or a bad group, you must know who you are and be all you can be , if you are living in duality you miss out on the benefits of the particular group i.e if you pretend to be religious your secular friends will make fun of you, if you are religious then society will make fun of you. Know yourself and stop pretending, be who you are and either live a life of strength ior lose your life in a gamble. Remember when it comes to your life its all money down on that bet(direction in life) there is no half bet, youll either lose everything or gain double, period the end.

In this case there are three different types of youth Sikhs etc.... 1) Religious people that do paat and chant Naam, they go to the Gurdwara and try to learn new things and actually apply them in their lives, they try to do as the Gurus did and actually treat Sri Guru Granth Sahib as their Guru. 2) People that try to be kewl at school and around the "hood" and then go to the Gurdwara so they dont lose out in the end(this is called duality and youll lose in the end) they pretend Sri Guru Granth Sahib is their Guru. 3) People who are completely secular and maybe atheist they hate going to the Gurdwara and see being religious as a waste of time(because it takes away from their worldly ways) they only go to the Gurdwara because they have to either because their parents make them or they wont get allowance money or computers or video games etc.)

What do they wear? Person number one stays in Guru Sahibs roop, they tie a turban male/female, they like to wear kurta/chola/salwar etc, and try to uphold the additude of former Sikhs/Shaheeds. Person number two is the type that wears a kurta with jeans underneath, they try to blend indian cultural elements and tries to use that aspect as their Sikh appearance, they will wear a turban every once in a while "if' they keep their hair, they have some bit of secular fashion that seems to make them shun kurta/chola and makes a new masala that is never steady and has lots of room for changing with trends etc. Person number three hates kurta/chola/salwar, they hate turbans and anything that makes society know they are related to Sikhs, they might have got a tattoo once of a khanda sahib or ik oankar and other than that they dont like anything related to appearing even remotely religious, they think being religious is a weakness and doesnt help them look "kewl" to society, they are the type that buys clothes and wears them without removing the tags they walk like they are constipated or sat on extremely hot water they buy pant sizes 5-6 times too big they tend to speak the new fad words that only are understandable to other foolish people, they tend to care only about money and how kewl they look.

Whats their outlook? Person number 1 doesnt care what society cares about how they look in any regards. Person number 2 wears the latest trend but with wear a kurta/salwar on sunday and if they see their secular friends they will feel embarrased to be in panjabi clothes, but if they are in their trend clothes they feel wierd around their freinds who are in Gurus Roop. Person number 3 has animosity to people who are religious and have bad additudes when it comes to religious matters, they only care about the newest trends (which constantly change so whats kewl this week might be nerdy the next) If it aint kewl they wont wear it if society doesnt think its "boss" then they look the other way.

Then the rest of people are in one group moving to the next so they have remaining stains of the previous group, some might start at one and end up another in any particular order, reflecting Gurus Sikhi is the goal of a Sikh not just matha tek know a few here and theres and then thinking Sikhi has a reward for them. People that try too hard to fit in and never who they are, they are only a black sheep whether in a good group or a bad group, you must know who you are and be all you can be , if you are living in duality you miss out on the benefits of the particular group i.e if you pretend to be religious your secular friends will make fun of you, if you are religious then society will make fun of you. Know yourself and stop pretending, be who you are and either live a life of strength ior lose your life in a gamble. Remember when it comes to your life its all money down on that bet(direction in life) there is no half bet, youll either lose everything or gain double, period the end.

Oh my goodness... what a reaserch... Well Its true Keerpa ..I mean You are right...ohmy.gif

• 1 month later...

Person number three hates kurta/chola/salwar

Not true. I'm amritdhaaree, and I hate Punjabi suits. Choley are actually very comfortable, but I HATE Punjabi suits. The salwaars get so annoying, like you're wearing snowpants because they're huge like snowpants and because they're just as difficult to put on and take off. And the long shirts aren't a walk in the park either. And dubataas are just plain weird and very useless. Really, Punjabi suits are such a pain.

Choley = "Kewl", "Boss", Hip, and Phat ..je je!

The rest of KEERPA's post, pretty agreeable.

Person number three hates kurta/chola/salwar

Not true. I'm amritdhaaree, and I hate Punjabi suits. Choley are actually very comfortable, but I HATE Punjabi suits. The salwaars get so annoying, like you're wearing snowpants because they're huge like snowpants and because they're just as difficult to put on and take off. And the long shirts aren't a walk in the park either. And dubataas are just plain weird and very useless. Really, Punjabi suits are such a pain.

Choley = "Kewl", "Boss", Hip, and Phat ..je je!

The rest of KEERPA's post, pretty agreeable.

WOW me 2 :L:

• 12 years later...
On 6/28/2009 at 8:16 PM, harsimran kaur said:

Ok, first of all, don't take this thread too seriously.. :)

I'm just wondering if Kaurs can wear skirts (i don't mean miniskirts but something of an appropriate length) or dresses. The only times i've seen sikh women wearing skirt (or lengha or whatever) is in some wedding pictures. Is there some unspoken rule that prohibits wearing skirts? And that we should only wear pants? Would wearing a skirt be seen as something un-sikh? Is there some history behind it?

I was thinking that it might partly be because Kaurs are supposed to be warriors and it would be difficult to fight and ride a horse in a skirt. I've also heard at least sarees being clearly condemned because it's a hindu dress.

Anyway, looking forward to answers.

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh!

Sikh women have historically worn the 'Ghagra' (over their Salwars)  as part of traditional Punjabi attire. It's like a flowy maxi skirt so it doesn't show the body shape and covers the legs too. 

Sikh women at Sri Harmandir Sahib, early 20th century 

image.png.7fda8b28ff753ab429dfbe8336108fdc.png

Modern day Punjabi Ghagra 

image.png.b08cf593f37d70feef439c2f70c1b178.png

42 minutes ago, 5aaban said:

Sikh women have historically worn the 'Ghagra' (over their Salwars)  as part of traditional Punjabi attire. It's like a flowy maxi skirt so it doesn't show the body shape and covers the legs too. 

Sikh women at Sri Harmandir Sahib, early 20th century 

image.png.7fda8b28ff753ab429dfbe8336108fdc.png

Modern day Punjabi Ghagra 

image.png.b08cf593f37d70feef439c2f70c1b178.png

One person looks humble the other doesn't and in there lies the most important principle. Not the cut.