Charitropakhyan

Guest Stranger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts of the English translation are really wrong. It's best to get the arths from a santhiya ustad.

How is it really wrong?

Download the Gurmukhi text from here: http://www.dasamgranth.org/institute/dasam/volume4.shtml and compare with the translations.

Too many to go through here, but e.g. in charitar 21, the translations say "Tale of Anoop Kaur", but the original doesn't mention any Anoop Kaur - it's "Noop Kuer" (sorry, can't write Gurmukhi here). That's just a small mistake, read the original side by side with the translation and see for yourself.

Parts of the English translation are really wrong. It's best to get the arths from a santhiya ustad.

How is it really wrong?

Download the Gurmukhi text from here: http://www.dasamgranth.org/institute/dasam/volume4.shtml and compare with the translations.

Too many to go through here, but e.g. in charitar 21, the translations say "Tale of Anoop Kaur", but the original doesn't mention any Anoop Kaur - it's "Noop Kuer" (sorry, can't write Gurmukhi here). That's just a small mistake, read the original side by side with the translation and see for yourself.

oh :| could you tell me any bigger mistakes please and are there other translations that I can read. Thank you.

It would be easier for you to learn punjabi and read the steeks than wait for a correct english translation to be released. All english translations are limited and allot of them skew the meanings, I dont know why english "steeks" have one line interpretations, whereas the punjabi steeks can ellaborate on one line for paragraphs.

Learning punjabi is easy and beneficial. you will build up a great vocabulary by reading and learning through a proper steek, the main issue is being able to read the punjabi word but not understanding complex steeks. Although the Gobind Sadan Steek is seen as incorrect by some people, it does however provide easy language and simple punjabi for begginers to start reading Sri Dasam Darbar in.

The Pritpal Bhindra english translation of Chritropakhyan is not that heritical, he clearly states he does not belief it to be the bani of Guru Gobind Singh and wishes to produce a book which will allow the reader to make up their own mind. Those with a disearning intellect will be able to look past the contraversy and extract the essence of the teachings.

It would be easier for you to learn punjabi and read the steeks than wait for a correct english translation to be released. All english translations are limited and allot of them skew the meanings, I dont know why english "steeks" have one line interpretations, whereas the punjabi steeks can ellaborate on one line for paragraphs.

Learning punjabi is easy and beneficial. you will build up a great vocabulary by reading and learning through a proper steek, the main issue is being able to read the punjabi word but not understanding complex steeks. Although the Gobind Sadan Steek is seen as incorrect by some people, it does however provide easy language and simple punjabi for begginers to start reading Sri Dasam Darbar in.

The Pritpal Bhindra english translation of Chritropakhyan is not that heritical, he clearly states he does not belief it to be the bani of Guru Gobind Singh and wishes to produce a book which will allow the reader to make up their own mind. Those with a disearning intellect will be able to look past the contraversy and extract the essence of the teachings.

I didn't say I can't read Punjabi. I just don't find it easy to understand.