Swat Valley Sikhs

there is hardly ANYTHING.

There was also a programme abotu this on Dispatches a few weeks back - 3000 sikh refugess livign in panja sahib.

the sanitation conditions are terrible adn food is running out.

many people have had family memebers kidnapped and killed.

read my thread on this issue sikhs suffering in pakistan and you can see all the youtueb videos to back up what im saying.

PEOPLE WILL CRY ABOUT THIS ISSUE AFTER THE PANJA SAHIB IS ATTACKED AND AFTER PEOPLE HAVE DIED, RIGHT NOW THEY IGNORE IT!

PEOPLE WILL CRY ABOUT THIS ISSUE AFTER THE PANJA SAHIB IS ATTACKED AND AFTER PEOPLE HAVE DIED, RIGHT NOW THEY IGNORE IT!

You have a point there. Remember the Bigot Indian joke that the Hindu notices the storm before it happens, the Muslim notices the storm whiile it happens and the Sikh only notices the storm after it's happened. Unfortunatly, this bigot statement sometimes feels like it has an element of truth.

There's been very little discussion of the 3000 Sikh refugees within Sikh circles, Sikh media and Panthic Jathebhandi's.

As Non-Indian citizens, we have a better chance of intervening and forwarding aid to the refugees, as well as ensure our great Guru Ghars are protected. Pakistan is still that same Punjab of our Gurus, Rajas,Mahapurshs and Shaheeds.

This is a pressing issue, I believe there was Khalsa Aid on sikh channel news a while back, they seem to be doing at least something, http://www.khalsaaid.org/displacedsikhs.html

they have a link for donating.

If it's not khalistan or beadbi or pakhandi babay then it never seems to be a big issue with the high profile panthic jathebhandis.

Well done to Khalsa Aid for taking the lead and giving us some direction. Now it's up to the Sikh community to see this as an issue and support our brothers & sisters in Pakistan.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Im slightly delayed on the issue, but is there any relief programmes for the Sikhs of Pakistan? or is there anything we can do to help?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Yes United SIkhs need help, they need funds and sevadars.

http://www.panthic.org/news/126/ARTICLE/5070/2009-06-26.html

http://www.khalsaaid.org/displacedsikhs.html

http://www.unitedsikhs.org/donate.php

We have 2 Sikh groups trying to get aid for the Swat valley Sikhs. What we need to do is raise awareness in our local Gurdwaras, put posters up or produce a flyer for distributiion so that we can raise the target required.

When I was a kid I remember some Singh getting on stage asking the sangat to donate money so that a tank could be bought in Punjab to fight the Indian government. The committees always manage to extorte funds from the sangat for building extensions. So there's plenty of money floating around in Sikh circles,

Rupinder Singh said :

Remember the Bigot Indian joke that the Hindu notices the storm before it happens, the Muslim notices the storm whiile it happens and the Sikh only notices the storm after it's happened. Unfortunatly, this bigot statement sometimes feels like it has an element of truth.

There's been very little discussion of the 3000 Sikh refugees within Sikh circles, Sikh media and Panthic Jathebhandi's.

As Non-Indian citizens, we have a better chance of intervening and forwarding aid to the refugees, as well as ensure our great Guru Ghars are protected. Pakistan is still that same Punjab of our Gurus, Rajas,Mahapurshs and Shaheeds.

----------------------

Good points, look at the resposne this thread adn my previous thread on the same issue has had on thsi site, - HARDLY ANY AT ALL.

Just like MALA said :

If it's not khalistan or beadbi or pakhandi babay then it never seems to be a big issue with the high profile panthic jathebhandis.

------------------------

Truesay!

A benti to Moderators can u please make this topis a STICKY and provide us with info as to what the SANGAT here can do to HELP, so that for once we do something constructive instead of debating all day?

I know that the Sikh Community and Youth Service in Nottingham have been active in responding to this situation.

I believe as soon as rumours of this were heard that they began contacting the UK, Indian and Pakistan embassies for information and to make sure they paid due attention to the situation. There has been various correspondence (to and fro) since this began about what the emabssies and the authorities were doing . UK MPs have also been written to and lobbyed on the issue, press releases made etc.

I recall somebody saying that the pakistani govt was going to compensate a certain number of Sikh refugees with money. But it only came to around £80 worth of aid. And that was for feeding, clothing, buying a new house, work etc as all these families had to leave everything behind. So i think the group is trying to lobby to have this looked at again. I think they are talking to ministers and officials to guarantee the safety of the refugees.

But if anyone does want to help then try contacting them as they do seem to have contact with the right people in the UK and Pakistan now.