Sikh Channel - Bibi Fasion Statement

It's a massive shame .........

Total behsti. However, I think their advertising/publicity campaign has been really poor. Even now, they are relying on the channel to reach enough people to get sufficient funds rather than making presentations at Gurudwaras on busy days etc. If they had worked with the organisers of the Parkash 2009 programme, they could have easily collected over £10000, there was so much sangat. There are also a few popular parchaaraks in the UK at the moment like Sant Ranjit Singh, Gyani Takhur Singh ji who could have been asked to promote the channel, but this wasn't done.

I hope they survive - losing it due to lack of community support is shameful for all of us in the UK.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just wanna share my opinion if it is of any value .

I run a business as most you here alredy know. when i 1st started outin 1996 ,i was penniless but i knew i needed enuff money to make it run for at least the 1st 6 months,whatever happened so that in the meantime i could earn enough to pay the expenses for the next 6 months and so forth . so i borrowed from different places to the tune of about 10,000 or more ,which i duly paid back in 3 years and my business is still running after 13 years.

My point is ,yes i am proud there is a sikh channel and etc etc . i understand its run as a charity too . however you dont just start something without proper financial planning then run into problems after 30 -50 days!!! thats very very bad planning .

You know this is a media project thats going to be very costly . so, ahead, as you start planning to have such a channel ,rightaway you appoint an important team looking after finances . you draw into this team a bunch of people who are wealthy to start with . This team needs to have an objective of raising at least the 1st year's expenses . For that you draw up strategies ,you identify and target different sets of contributors . for example a huge conference coould have been held of all gurudwara presidents in UK and the jathedar of akal takht etc could have been invited where a financial committment is made from every gurudwara etc . different sets of contributors too could have been paced to kick in at different stages .e.g the 1st year could have been set aside to build a large following of individual donors to follow an intial committment from gurudwaras and wealthier individuals . further projects could have been set off in time to ensure a stable revenue . thats how you do it ,not just something randomly that run under within 30 days . that sounds amateurish as much as it sounds honourable .

One big reason khalsa won the moghuls was because all the main players/power brokers/warlords from every misl sat together in a big diwan and they took collective decisions. You cannot just have a tiny team of people kicking off a mega project of this size on their own initiative . you do need to work out the different sets of players you need to engage and you need to involve sikh leadership at all levels so there is common consensus for its success.

it is not difficult but what it requires is strategy,direction ,focus and proper project management so a systematic methodology is adopted ,people organised into different teams and the whole thing becomes one success after another . im not even sure whether this channel was available on the different means of watching tv apart from satellite such as cable ,internet ,freeview etc .

anyway lets hope lessons have been learned early enough ,the appeal for money is successful

and sangat rallies together and Gurujee blesses this project.

If i was in charge of this project then based on my experience i would do the following rightaway,

1) have different teams of people looking after different areas .this would include a)finance b)accounting c)marketing and publicity d)technology and broadcasting e)admin f) program organisation . all of these teams would work in coordination and be answearable to 5 piaras overlooking the entire running of the sikh channel project

2) to organise a huge diwan rightaway of every sikh gurudwara/organisation in UK of their top brass ,where the main takht jathedars would pressure them to back this project financially ,get their cheque books out and write out their 1st cheques rightaway .

3) to be identifying , targetting , ringing around,writing to and contacting wealthy sikhs all over the world to quickly contribute to the project asap

The support of individual donor families setting up direct debits is of course vital but that happens over time as people get used to switching to channel 840 and a sense of committment and responsibility slowly builds up. you cannot justset up anew channel and then expect everyone to start switching over to it and setting up direct debits immediately . that is a time consuming affair as the owners of punjab radio ,sukhsagar,amrit bani radio have all painfully found out over the past few years ,at least thats what they have all revealed to me individually .

Most of all, such projects to succeed need 2 key ingredients, i.e a)to get all the jethabandhis and sangat behind you in support asap and above all, b)a lot of humble amritvela ardas with a lot,lot ,lot ,lot ,lots of big ,big ,big tears . gurbani says the cry of a humble ant in pain is heard better in heaven than the proud trumpeting sound of an elephant.

One thing i have learnt is that Gurjee's kirpa is so unpredictable . Just on the day you are short of something and feeling dumped by God ,money can appear from sources you could never have thought of,again a lesson the main sikh radio channel guys have learnt through my observations. Money is a strange thing as i have learned in my business .it can exist in places you could not have imagined with your MBA degree ,it can melt before your very eyes but also manifest from unimaginable sources . Gurbani says an ant can become a king and a king can become dust, and in a split second a king into a pauper and a bankrupt into a king . Its all in the palms of the Master ,he gives as and to who He desires ,in whichever way He chooses .

The organisers of sikh channel have to plan finances as if everything depends on their hard work ,but have to depend on Gurujee as if everything depends on Gurujee. Dont just ask people to give you money ,ask people to pray for your success.

There are also a few popular parchaaraks in the UK at the moment like Sant Ranjit Singh, Gyani Takhur Singh ji who could have been asked to promote the channel, but this wasn't done.

Actually, Sant Ranjit Singh ji has started to promote the Sikh channel at his Diwaan's.

wjkk wjkf

Forgive me if i have misquoted but i cant check the quote coz im at work!....

"Says Bhai Nand Lal those who wear red, Guru Gobind Singh will send them the Angels of Death"

I think there's always going to be a difference in opinion with regards to colours etc...IMHO whatever the panj pyarai tell you is what you should be going with....

I believe that a true gursikh is one that is simple in everyway....we have so many examples of past chardhi kalaa gursikhs....Baba Harnam Singh Ji, Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwalai, Bhai Randhir Singh Ji, Giani Thakur Singh Ji, Bhai Rama Singh Ji etc etc....and so many today, such as Baba Seva Singh Ji, Sant Ranjit Singh Ji, Bhai Jeevan Singh Ji etc etc.... If i'm correct you haven't seen any of the mentioned wear any colours other than Khalsa colours.....I remember asking one learned gursikh about colours and they said that sometimes people want to wear different colours to express their moods, or to relate it to fashion etc etc....but these things take you away from Gurmat because you are so aware of them.... They said that it's best to immerse yourself in Gurbani, try to do vichaar then you will learn what simplicity is all about....

Colours can have a significant affect on you too. I'm sure everyone has heard of sayings such as, 'Green with Envy' and 'Red Hot!' and so fourth etc....but if you're the kind of person that doesn't get affected by colours then obviously this isn't true...

I love to look up to the examples of past and present chardi kalaa gursikhs and i see how simple they were and are.....and the only dodgy one i've seen wearing pink, purple and all the colours from the sun was that 'Ram Rahim Gurmeet' bloke from Juthaa Sauda!!

Each to their own though i say :)

and any UK sangat reading this...have YOU set-up a DD yet??..if not then please do asap and keep sikhchannel free :)