Homo...uality

Guest Learner

Guest Learner

Alright, I'm sure all of you reading this already know why I'm posting this, & I wish whoever is reading this, will:

first read the following purple points before reading the rest of my stuff in black

**(I know that many people are against this kind of topic, & I know that many ppl would not like it if something like this were to be openly discussed in front of ni-ya-ney (little ones), therefore I didn't use the full 'key' word in the topic title)

*Forgive me if I upset anyone

**I am not trying to prove any points to someone with the feedback I will receive. I am asking for my knowledge, & that's it

**Even though it's none of your business, for those of you who are wondering; No. I'm actually straight

-Please don't ask me 'If you're straight, what's the problem? Why are you asking?'

-I am simply asking 'cause I want to know more about sikhi & this is a topic that I came across recently at school, & started to ask myself about how it's viewed in sikhi

***If you just feel like insulting homo/uals, please do not post at all. That's not why I'm asking about this, & we can all do without that I don't need anyone's opinion. I just want Guru jis

Here it goes

I would like to ask the online sangat if I could be provided with any shabad(s) from Gurbani that talk(s) about Homo/uality

As I've stated above, please do not ask me if I am one, 'cause 1st of all- it shouldn't matter when someone is asking this only for sikhi knowledge, & 2nd (even though it's none of anyone's business) - I am straight

I have no clue at all about what Gurbani says about it, & my parents just keep stating their opinions (anyone's opinions are okay, I don't care about what ppl think. I only wish to know what GURBANI says about it and the homo/uals)

**I am not asking about marriage between homo/uals

**I am not asking about punjabi culture vs homo/uality. I only want sikhi facts (Gurbani shabads, words/lines)

**I am not asking about what the sangat thinks is right

**I'm only asking for someone to show me what Gurbani says about this

*****I'm not asking about ANYTHING specific relating to this topic. I ONLY want to know what GURBANI says about it

Please, & thank you

What is the Sikh attitude to homosexuality?

Sexuality in Sikhi relates to the marriage of a man and woman and the sacredness of their singular physical relationship. It is a means to creating a future of children that can live in elevation and mastery. When speaking of homosexuality and even bisexuality, the implication is that the relationship is based on sex. The Sikh way of life is a system of living for achieving harmony of the mind, body and spirit and living in God consciousness. If you are focusing heavily on the physical aspects of your relationships, then you are already out of balance.

Those who have an issue with sexuality preference should be encouraged to direct their mind away from flirting with their own sexuality. Let it go. When ever these thoughts come up, they should direct their mind to meditate on "WaheGuru". People should be encouraged to develop their capacity as a "God man" rather than a "gay man".

There is no such thing as same sex marriages in the Sikh Gurdwara.

RESPECT AND DIGNITY FOR ALL

Although Sikhism does not find homosexual behaviour acceptable, Sikhism does not "hate" or believe that homosexuals are damned to hell as propagated by some religions. As Sikhs we are taught to have principles (asools). A Sikh does not accept any lifestyle other than the Guru's Way but also prays everyday for "Sarbat da bhalla" (the prosperity of all humanity). Gurbani tells us that God is without hatred and animosity. We are all the children of God. The Gurdwara is open for all no matter who they are or what they've done. God loves us all regardless of our thoughts or actions.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੈ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆ ਸਦਾ ਹੋਇ ॥

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਅੰਦਰਹੁ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਹੈ ਸਭੁ ਦੇਖੈ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਇਕੁ ਸੋਇ ॥

"The True Guru is the Merciful Giver; He is always compassionate.

The True Guru has no hatred within Him; He beholds the One God everywhere."

(Ang 302)

BEING BORN HOMOSEXUAL AND NATURALLY INCLINED?

Whether homosexual inclinations, tendancies and behaviour are natural or not does not hold any weight when discussing Gurmat (the Guru's teachings). It is possible that urges, inclinations and desires may be natural to some, but in Gurmat a Sikh is not supposed to act upon or follow on all urges of sexual desire/lust (or any other vice).

ਮਨ ਕਾ ਸੁਭਾਉ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਈ ਕਰੈ ॥ ਕਰਤਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁ ਅਨਭੈ ਰਹੈ ॥੨॥

"(In the world) everyone acts according to the inclinations of the mind. (But the one who remembers and meditates on the Lord's name doesn't follow the inclinations of the mind, instead with the blessings of Naam becomes) the image of the Creator Lord and remains in a state free of fear. ||2||"

(Ang 1167)

Taking the help of Guru's Shabad, we are supposed to fight the sexual urges.

ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਕਾਟੈ ਕੋਟਿ ਕਰਮ ॥੩॥੧॥

"The Word of the Guru's Shabad eradicates the karma of millions of past actions. ||3||1||"

(Ang 1195)

Just because some sexual urge is 'natural', it does not mean that it is good to act upon it or follow it. Some people have incest urges and they too are natural to them. Should they follow those urges or subdue such urges through extensive reflection of Gurbani and Naam Abhiyaas (repetition of the Divine-Name). Some are paedophiles and have such horrific urges. Does it mean that the paedophiles are supposed to follow their urges just because they are 'natural' to them? Gurbani teaches us that urges, inclinations or desires can be subdued through reading, listening, contemplating and understanding the Guru's Shabad, keeping company with the Saadh Sangat (company of the Holy), sewa (selfless service) and Naam Simran (devotional remembrance and meditation of the Lord).

ਕਾਮ ਕ੍ਰੋਧ ਲੋਭ ਮਦ ਮਤਸਰ ਸਾਧੂ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਖਾਪ ॥

"Sexual desire, anger, greed, pride and envy are destroyed in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy."

(Ang 1223)

SAME-SEX RELATIONSHIPS?

Having premarital relations with the opposite sex is same as having premarital relations with the same sex - they are both unacceptable in the Sikh faith. They both are the result of Kaam (lust) which a GurSikh must be able to control. Guru Sahib prohibits the Sikh from even gazing at another with the intention of romance, lust, or sexual affection:

ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਰੂਪੁ ਨ ਪੇਖੈ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ॥

"With your eyes, do not even gaze (in a lustful manner) upon the beauty of another."

(Sukhmani Sahib, Ang 274)

ਦੇਖਿ ਪਰਾਈਆਂ ਚੰਗੀਆਂ ਮਾਵਾਂ ਭੈਣਾਂ ਧੀਆਂ ਜਾਣੈ ॥

"Men should look at the opposite gender as mothers, sisters and daughters, (women should look at the opposite gender as fathers, brothers and sons)."

(Bhāī Gurdās: Vār 29/ Paurī 11)

SAME-SEX MARRIAGE

According to the Sikh Rehit Maryada, the Anand Karaj (Sikh marriage) can only be between a Sikh man and woman only. Sexual relationship can only be between the couple married under the Anand Karaj maryada. Denouncing the practice of same-sex marriages, Jathedar of Akal Takht, issued a directive with the seal of Sri Akaal Takht Sahib that prohibited any Gurdwara in the world to hold such ceremonies. Jathedar Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti described same sex marriages as an ‘anti-Gurmat’ trend that had no place in Sikhism.

ਸੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਸਖਾ ਬੰਧਪੁ ਹੈ ਭਾਈ ਜਿ ਗੁਰ ਕੇ ਭਾਣੇ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਵੈ ॥

ਆਪਣੈ ਭਾਣੈ ਜੋ ਚਲੈ ਭਾਈ ਵਿਛੁੜਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਖਾਵੈ ॥

ਬਿਨੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਖੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ਭਾਈ ਫਿਰਿ ਫਿਰਿ ਪਛੋਤਾਵੈ ॥੧॥

"He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who walks in the Way of the Guru's Will. One who walks according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers separation from the Lord, and shall be punished. Without the True Guru, peace is never obtained, O Siblings of Destiny; again and again, he regrets and repents. ||1||"

(Ang 601)

Guru Sahib gave Sikhs Hukam (Order). Hukam and Rehit (discipline) put boundaries on our behaviour. We all need discipline in life. Some may say why we do you stop people from smoking, you do not believe they are equal to you? But reality is everyone is equal, but as a Gursikhs, we choose a 'Niraala Panth' (a Distinct Path). The 'Niraala panth' is defined by Rehit and Hukam.

Marriage is two souls merging into one. However even this union which is not based on Kaam (lust), but love, respect and within Gurmat, even that is also temporary. The true Union is between a person and Akaal - this is permanent. When one achieves that union, everything else is put into perspective and is incomparable. Even if a person is naturally homosexual, as one cannot become one, or a person is heterosexual and full of lust (Kaam) or not, and lives as a true disciple of Guru, all of them should search for this 'true union', because without it there is no way to quench their thirst. To obtain this union, one has to forsake all, and live in the discipline of Gurmat Rehit (discipline in accordance to the Guru's Way), and have a longing for the Darshan, Blessed Vision, of Waheguru.

RESPECT FOR ALL HUMAN BEINGS

A Sikh of the Guru treats all humanity with dignity and respect. We may not agree with homosexual's lifestyle, and occasional mannerisms, but we could also on a personal level not agree with the lifestyles of 95% of humanity who love to drink, and others smoke, etc. So we should not be hypocrites and judge some and not others. One should strive to appreciate every human as they are on a humanitarian basis and build upon their Jeevan (spiritually disciplined life). A Sikh should share common positive virtues. If someone sees God inside you then one should direct the other person towards Gurbani. The fact is the Amritdhari lifestyle does not allow of homosexuality, and this is not debatable.

The Text Above Sums It All Up But you can still check out the Link Below

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Here Bro, Check Out This Video .There Are More Parts To It. It sums it up the whole concept of homosexuality and it having no importance in sikh way of life

And Anyhooo, We Should Question Our Ownsleves..Why Waheguru Has Sent Us Into This World, And What Is Puropse Of Life Etc

^^ The Answers To These Questions are simple and are mentioned in Guru Granth Sahib Ji and In Sikh way of life Homosexuality Plays No Part In it, as Guru Ji Warns us from lust and considering homosexuality, it's *Lust*

The SGGS does not mention homosexuality as being a sin or a prohibited lifestyle. I agree that the Gurus, past and present, espoused a belief in living the life of a householder (Gristi Jeevan), but it is possible to live such a life if one is gay.

Sikhism does not prohibit or condone homosexuality. It sees it as merely inconsequential because the main aim for Sikhs is to attain unity with Waheguru. For Sikhs to imply such a prohibition into the religion when none existed at the time of the living Gurus is incomprehensible.

Kaam is indeed one of the five thieves of the religion. However, the true Sikh approach to 'kaam' is not about the removal of all lust from one's life. If that were the case, then the ideal for Sikhs would be the life of a Sanyassi rather than Gristi Jeevan. It is physically impossible for sexual intercourse to take place without the element of lust, and sexual intercourse on a single occasion does not always result in a conception. Lust forms part of the act of conceiving a child. The issue for Sikhs is to ensure that lust does not become an all-consuming fire. Lust is something which is to be managed. If it is possible to do so within the context of a heterosexual relationship, then I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me why it is not possible to do so in a homosexual one?

Homosexuals in many countries are now able to have marriages and partnerships, and are able to adopt children and live a Gristi Jeevan. Homosexuality is much more than just whether one sleeps with a man instead of a woman or vice versa. Homosexual relationships have depth, meaning and fulfilment in much the same way that heterosexual relationships do. It is not just about sexual intercourse.

If you are to consider the stance that Sikhism takes in respect of sexuality, then that needs to be an even approach to both homosexuality and heterosexuality. Both are able to have children (by adoption or by in vitro fertilisation). Both are able to lead active lives within the community. Both are able to be spiritual beings. Both are able to control lustful feelings.

Some Sikhs may find homosexuality something to laugh about. Others have committed suicide or self-harmed due to the cultural impact that their homosexuality has upon their families. Before you reply to this post, please carefully consider the language that you use, and please be aware of the fact that some young Sikh men and women who are questioning their sexuality may read your reply whilst in a fragile state of mind.

Bhul chuk maaf karna.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Mod Note: While you are free to express your views, Sri Akal Takht Sahib has forbidden same gender marriages, therefore the link to the website you provided has been removed.

• 4 weeks later...

We have to be careful not to superimpose our own views on gurbani - the very nature of a Sikh is to learn along lifes many twisting roads, to ultimate unity with God. I could not tell you the Sikh view on Homosexuality, or what the Gurus said in regards to it. I can only repeat what has been said on equality, respect and all creatures being Gods children. I could possibly go further and tell you what some people who label themselves Sikh think on the subject - though ultimatley you have to interpret gurbani without prejudice and personal opinion or cultural influences.

From what I understand Sikhi is not about procreation - though our relationship with God. Saying Sikhi does not look favourably on homosexuality might be seen as some as the religion being overly focused on the mechanisms in the sexual relationship between two people - which it is not.

My advice to any homosexuals would be to only take guidance from gurbani - what has been left to us for guidance.

Guru ang sang,

Light