Non Sikhs Marrying Sikhs In A Gurdwara

SaRpAnCh

A non Sikh cannot marry a Sikh in a Gurdwara - as the Anand Karajh ceremony is for a male and female who accept the 10 Gurus and Guru Granth Sahib as their only eternal Guru.

The 1st woman said she to mahrajs saroop to a castle as a interfaith marriage was not allowed

More Debate here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/b006wqgk/Monday/console/

''Monday 27th July, 2009.

At 1, Nihal ask's 'Should Interfaith marriages be allowed in places of worship? A debate has kicked off amongst Sikhs over whether they should be able to marry non Sikhs in a Gurdwara.

What do you think?

Do you think that Hindu should be able to marry a Sikh in Mandir or a Gudwara? Should a Christian be able to marry a Muslim in a church or in a mosque?''

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guest who they had Dr Sharma acted as if he knew about Sikhi and went on about Sikhs being married according to Vedic Rites,whats that all about?He claims this happened 100 yrs ago FACT IS it did not,he dismisses the decision of Akal Takht that a Sikh can only marry a Sikh as 'SGPC',alongside all the usual Baman Koor Parchaar they do like 1st son of a Hindu was made a Sikh,Sikhs came from Hindus and so on.

This guy previoulsy appeared on the BBC Asian Network Show in relation to 25 years of the Sikh Genocide and Bluestar

In this he was also blatanly racist that show is downloadble from the above link,the Dr Sharma from the Hindu Council UK (RSS Wing UK)also spoke on that show along with his support for Operation Bluestar.

Now on this show he tries to act as if hes higher than Akal Takht by teaching Sikhs Sikhism.

Why do the BBC Asian Network get Hindus to debate Sikh issues and Hindus being of those from the Hindu Council who has open links with RSS,and HSS Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh.

The show on topic was nothing but Baman Parchaar live on BBC radio and he claims it is okay for a non Sikh to marry a Sikh in a Gurdwara in violation of Sikh Code of Conduct and ANAND KARAJH.

A non Sikh cannot marry a Sikh in a Gurdwara - as the Anand Karajh ceremony is for a male and female who accept the 10 Gurus and Guru Granth Sahib as their only eternal Guru.

The 1st woman said she to mahrajs saroop to a castle as a interfaith marriage was not allowed

More Debate here

http://www.bbc.co.uk...Monday/console/

''Monday 27th July, 2009.

At 1, Nihal ask's 'Should Interfaith marriages be allowed in places of worship? A debate has kicked off amongst Sikhs over whether they should be able to marry non Sikhs in a Gurdwara.

What do you think?

Do you think that Hindu should be able to marry a Sikh in Mandir or a Gudwara? Should a Christian be able to marry a Muslim in a church or in a mosque?''

The first women said she did not marry her sons in a Gurudwara because she did not like the fact that is public and not private enough . So they took maharaj to a castle (Not saying its particularly wrong but she disaproves of 'gurughars' she doesn't thing there suitable

Thanks For this Khalsa ji. BBC 'asian network' rely get on my nerves they should get their noses out of our business seriously, the shows I've listened to in the past were awful. They had a kirpan debate not soo long ago and they just had so called 'sikhs' saying take a picture of it and put in a pendant no-ones rely their debating who knew there stuff also Nihal made 'cocky' comments ( Ive got the debate if anyone wants it).

You can notice how Nihal is biased to the people who want to marry outside of faiths. Thank God for the Singh From Sikh channel.

The lady says something rely cheesy around 10:49 'My father proper sikh, beard and turban being in the army he like his drink' lol She then says he kept maharaj in his house if I am not mistaken, vaheguru.

Asian Network provides a base for stubborn non-rehat sikhs to dispute amongst those who keep rehat so they can all feel better.

Sorry for rambling on.

Bhul Chuk Maaf

Waheguru ji ki khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

GOD is everywher therefore as long as HUMILITY, RESPECT and LOVE is shown for the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, I dont see a problem in marriages taking place outside the gurdwara, personally.

As for non sikhs marrying sikhs, these relgious name tags Sikh, Hindu etc are just that.

Who is to say whether someone DESERVES to marry in the gurdwara or infront of the guru granth sahib? We are not PURE enough to have that authority, we are too full of anger, ego and pride to make such a judgment.

DO U THINK IF THE GURUS WERE AROUND IN PHYSICAL FORM THEY WOULD REFUSE ANYONE? NO THEY WOULD WELCOME ANYBODY REGARDELSS OF THEIR RELIGION, COLOUR OR CASTE.

It is gods will, as to who marrys whom, as these decisons are made by god.

If soemone wants to marry in a gurdwara they should be allowed to as long as they show HUMILITY, LOVE and RESPECT towards the granth sahib ji .smile.gif

manni007 Do u know that in rehat maryada it says that persons professing faiths other than the Sikh faith cannot be joined in wedlock by the Anand Karaj ceremony. And a sikh is defined also as somebody not having any allegience to any other religion, therefore this marriage is not even a sikh marriage. Also Akal Takht have issued two hukamnamas saying that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji cannot go where proper sikhi etiqutte is not followed. This would be in this case the castle, bahmans are always gonna try and attack the weak ppl in our faith, it has been going on since the beginning. I know many stories from punjab where bahman neighbours used to make up stories about sikh boys, and therefore police would pick them up n probli kill them. this is in 80's. they are not loyal to us after all we have done for them, we should not mix with these bad influences. And we should stand up to all this. andd btw i think Akal Takht is pure enough having been built by Guru Har Gobind.

Paaji the rehat maryada changes all the time, and is changed by normal people.

I Only go by the love of god and mankind referred to in the Gur Granth Sahib Ji.

May I remind you that none of our guru sahibs had Anand Karaj Marriages and the Anand Karaj Act was passed in 1909, 200 years after the passing on of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

It can be argued therefore that had guru Sahib wanted us to have Anand Karaj marriages he would have infact introduced them.

Nevertheless, in practical terms you will always see non sikhs marry sikhs in gurdwaras just liek you will see the same in Christian, Hindu and Buddist faiths, this is a good thing.

MAY I REMIND YOU THAT THE MORE EXTREME AND STRICT YOU BECOME , YOU WILL END UP SEEING SIKH BOYS AND GIRLS MARRYING OTHER PEOPLE FROM OTHER FAITHS IN CHURCHES , MANDIRS AND MOSQUES AND THEY WILL PROBABLY END UP SEVERING TIES WITH SIKHI RATHER THAN KEEPING A STRONG BOND WITH IT.

ITS BETTER THAT THEY STAY WITH THE FAITH SOEMHOW THAN BE PUSHED AWAY.

Rememebr the word of the god,. love humanity and stop hating on a whole group of people its silly.

PEACE , bhull chuk mafe

May I remind you that none of our guru sahibs had Anand Karaj Marriages and the Anand Karaj Act was passed in 1909, 200 years after the passing on of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

It can be argued therefore that had guru Sahib wanted us to have Anand Karaj marriages he would have infact introduced them

????????

??????

mani007 this is a SIKH forum not a Hindu forum so stop pushing ur distorted baseless ideas that are so stupid it boggles the mind!!

quote Taken from SikhiWiki after a simple seach in google on the term 'Anand Karaj' something manni007 never seems to to before she begins posting!!!

The following are other important points that must be adhered to by the Sikh couple and their families:

• Both partners must be Sikhs.
  • Marriage is a partnership of equals.
  • No consideration is to be given to Caste, Social Status, Race or lineage.
  • No Dowry is allowed.
  • No day is considered holier than any other; No astrological considerations are to be made; No superstitions are to be observed in fixing the date of the wedding.
  • The religious ceremony to take place in a Gurdwara or home of the Bride in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
  • The religious ceremony must NOT take place in a hotel, wedding palace or Banqueting Hall.
  • Burden of the cost of the wedding to be shared as equally as possible.

The history of Anand marriage ceremony is traced back to the time of GURU Amar Das (1479-1574), who composed the long 40 stanza hymn Anandu, in the Ramkali measure, suitable to be sung or recited on all occasions of religious import. His successor, Guru Ram Das, composed a four stanza hymn, Lavan(which was used at Guru Ji's wedding), which is recited and sung to solemnize nuptials. During the time of Maharaja RANJIT SINGH and his successors, however, this ceremony fell into partial disuse under renewed Brahmanical influence at court as well as in society.

The Nirankari (later turned into the Narakhdhari Naqli Nirankari movement) reform movement of the mid 19th century made the practice of Anand ceremony a vital plank in its programme as did the later, more widely influential Singh Sabha. But there was opposition from the Arya Samajis and Brahman priestly classes, the former anxious to prove that the Sikhs were but a sect of the Hindus and hence subject to Hindu Law, and the latter apprehensive of a reduction in their clientele and income. The Sikh form of wedding ceremonial eventually received legel sanction through the Anand Marriage Act which was adopted in 1909.

The ceremony is now universally observed by the Sikhs. According to Sikh Rahit Maryada, a formal engagement or betrothal prior to marriage is not absolutely necessary, but if the parties so desire, the betrothal ceremony takes place usually at the boy's residence where a few near relations of the girl go with some gifts, sweets and fruit. The gifts may include a ring or kara and kirpan for the prospective groom. They are handed over to him in the presence of relations, collaterals and friends assembled usually in SANGAT in the presence of Guru GRANTH Sahib.

I Only go by the love of god and mankind referred to in the Gur Granth Sahib Ji.

It can be argued therefore that had guru Sahib wanted us to have Anand Karaj marriages he would have infact introduced them.

Nevertheless, in practical terms you will always see non sikhs marry sikhs in gurdwaras just liek you will see the same in Christian, Hindu and Buddist faiths, this is a good thing.

MAY I REMIND YOU THAT THE MORE EXTREME AND STRICT YOU BECOME , YOU WILL END UP SEEING SIKH BOYS AND GIRLS MARRYING OTHER PEOPLE FROM OTHER FAITHS IN CHURCHES , MANDIRS AND MOSQUES AND THEY WILL PROBABLY END UP SEVERING TIES WITH SIKHI RATHER THAN KEEPING A STRONG BOND WITH IT.

Rememebr the word of the god,. love humanity and stop hating on a whole group of people its silly.

PEACE , bhull chuk mafe

Bro u have the slave mentality first u cannot compare sikhi with other religions secondly even Guru ji were bound by REHAT MARYADA. U talk of limited no remember after battle of chamkaur shaib only 3 sikhs remained with guru ji so numbers r immaterial no one can change rehat maryada as rehat bina na sikh kahawawe , Only sikhism allows other religions right to worship at their places it does not mean that we should change rehat maryada according to convinace. Let me tell u all gurus were very strict about code of conduct or rehat.Guru gobind singh ji incoporated and made it compulsory , is ur self made maryada superior to gurus . U should go to some mahasha or leftist forum not write this rubish here . According to sikh rehat maryada only anand karaj can be held between sikh as it is only ceremony for sabat soorat rehatwan sikhs.

PEACE , bhull chuk mafe

Bro u have the slave mentality first u cannot compare sikhi with other religions secondly even Guru ji were bound by REHAT MARYADA. U talk of limited no remember after battle of chamkaur shaib only 3 sikhs remained with guru ji so numbers r immaterial no one can change rehat maryada as rehat bina na sikh kahawawe , Only sikhism allows other religions right to worship at their places it does not mean that we should change rehat maryada according to convinace. Let me tell u all gurus were very strict about code of conduct or rehat.Guru gobind singh ji incoporated and made it compulsory , is ur self made maryada superior to gurus . U should go to some mahasha or leftist forum not write this rubish here . According to sikh rehat maryada only anand karaj can be held between sikh as it is only ceremony for sabat soorat rehatwan sikhs.

Bruv, You need to take the chill pill.

That is the most absurd thing I have heard from you guys. If Mani007 is questioning your faith, you have no answers but are pushing him away.

Has he made any offensive statement on this forum? He has given his point of view.

Everyone talks about Rehayt marayda, like it’s the end all to everything and use the Gurus as an example of Rehat Maraydha followed by them is what we follow today is 100% accurate. The only thing we have in the present, which is 100% accurate, is Sri Guru Granth Sahaib ji. Tell me where in Maharaaj it says you cannot marry in Gurdawara if you are not a Sikh.

Large majority of the Sikhs in this country cut their hair but still attend Gurdwara regularly, if they decide to marry a non-Sikh and they want marry them in a Gurdwara. I don’t see any problem with that. If you are going to push these Sikhs out then they will go elsewhere.

If push these Sikhs out, the Sikh faith will shrink in this country and the world. If this is the case, you will see what has happened in France. You would be asked to take your Kirpan off and probably you’re Dusttar. I have seen how Sikhs are treated in France, when they have to get there passport picture taken, they have to remove there Dusttar and open their hair.

Guru Fethay

LOL

WJKK WJKF

Some of you must have lost the plot... How can an two people get married in the Gurdwara if they dont believe in the guru ( i know im going to get blasted for that line) but its like christains ... i know a preist who would not marry you unless you believed in god as he puts it .. bloddy hell whats the point????? Its not a fashion statement .... ( although in todays age thats even debate able)

My opinion dont get married ive been told its a headache lol

My Two sence worth and just to clarify NO non sikhs cannot get married in the Gurdwara . even though yes god is everywhere and knows everything... dosnt mean to say we shoukd get married in the middle of the street ... we all have our beleifs

BSINGH

WJKK WJKF