Chandi Di //

harmandeal

<h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading">

</h1><h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandi_di_Var

</h1><h1 id="firstHeading" class="firstHeading">Chandi di //

</h1> <h3 id="siteSub">From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</h3> Jump to: navigation, search Chandi di //, also known as // Sri Bhagauti Ji is a composition by Guru Gobind Singh included in the 5th chapter of Dasam Granth. It is based on an episode from the Sanskrit work Markandeya Purana,[1] and describes the conflict between the Gods and the Demons. The theme was chosen to infuse martial spirit among the Guru's followers. In the ballad, the mythological goddess (see Chandi) is transformed into a liberating divine power in the form of sword, that crushes perpetuators of falsehood.[2]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Overview

Dharam Pal Ashta considers Chandi di // as one of the finest Punjabi poetry written. It abounds in imagery: arrows fall like a heavy showers, lightning comes down hissing like snakes, soldiers are locked in mortal combat like wild beasts. This song was popularly sung by the Sikh soldiers on their way to battlefield.

The first part of the // is known as the "Ardas", the opening Sikh prayer which invokes the names of the Gurus:

ੴ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਹ ॥

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਸਹਾਇ ॥

ਵਾਰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਉਤੀ ਜੀ ਕੀ ॥

ਪ੍ਰਿਥਮ ਭਗੌਤੀ ਸਿਮਰਿ ਕੈ ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਈਂ ਧਿਆਇ ॥

ਫਿਰ ਅੰਗਦ ਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਅਮਰਦਾਸੁ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੈ ਹੋਈਂ ਸਹਾਇ ॥

ਅਰਜਨ ਹਰਿਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨੋ ਸਿਮਰੌ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿਰਾਇ ॥

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਸ਼ਨ ਧਿਆਈਐ ਜਿਸ ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭਿ ਦੁਖਿ ਜਾਇ ॥

ਤੇਗ ਬਹਾਦਰ ਸਿਮਰਿਐ ਘਰ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਆਵੈ ਧਾਇ ॥

ਸਭ ਥਾਈਂ ਹੋਇ ਸਹਾਇ ॥੧॥

Translation: Victory to the Glorious Gurus. May Sri Bhagauti Ji assist us, I write the ode of Sri Bhagauti Ji. First I recall Bhagauti, (Whose symbol is the sword) and then I reflect on Guru Nanak. Then Guru Angad, Guru Amar Das and Guru Ram Das, may they help us. I reflect on Guru Arjan, Guru Hargobind and Guru Har Rai. I remember Guru Har Kishan, by whose sight all the sufferings vanish. Then I do remember Guru Tegh Bahadur, though whose grace the nine treasures come my house. May they be helpful to us everywhere.

Guru Gobind Singh describes the emergence Goddess Chandi as a force that destroys the demons.

ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦੈਤਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਸੁ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਰਾਮ ਲੈ ਨਾਲ ਬਾਣਾ ਦਹਸਿਰੁ ਘਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥

ਤੈਥੋਂ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਲੈ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੀ ਪਕੜਿ ਗਿਰਾਇਆ ॥

ਬਡੇ ਬਡੇ ਮੁਨਿ ਦੇਵਤੇ ਕਈ ਜੁਗ ਤਿਨੀ ਤਨੁ ਤਾਇਆ ॥

ਕਿਨੀ ਤੇਰਾ ਅੰਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥

Translation: Lord! By creating Durga, you have caused destruction of demons. Rama received power from you to kill Ravana with arrows. Krishna received power from you to threw down Kansa by catching his hair. The great sages and gods, even practising great austerities for several ages; do not know your limits.

[<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Chandi_di_Var&action=edit&section=2" title="Edit section: Meaning of Bhagauti">edit] Meaning of Bhagauti

Bhagauti stands for God and sometimes for sword which is identified with God.[3]This is quite clear from the Guru's description of Bhagauti as the creator of Durga

Markandeya Purana,????????????????????????????????????? wats going on

can some one explain

"dasam katha bhagaut kee bhakha karee banae

avar basnaa nahi prabh dharam yudh ke chae!!"

from das' knowledge all baani on chaubis avtar, chandi di vaar, chandi charitar etc are all translations of various scriptures, one being the Markandeya Purana.

Religious Granths that are in sanskrit where not taught to or even read to anyone other than the Brahmins. Maharaj took upon himself the seva to translate these Religious Granths for our benefit (knowledge of puratan religious ways, and Bir Ras).

this is jst from das' knowledge, patshahi10.org has katha from maskeen jee on the importance and need for maharajs baani and may clear up any doubts u have. jst thought id reply first before any nindak, give me peace of mind.

also theres sum1 on here called Inder Singh i think. he seems to knw a little bit more than most ppl about these things so it would be beneficial to try and get his attention.

Maharaj took upon himself the seva to translate these Religious Granths for our benefit (knowledge of puratan religious ways, and Bir Ras).

Guru sahib did not translate but completely altered the episode from ,arkamdey puranas.

He put chandi under the command of Akal purakh. Thus he changed her dimensions.

Out of 16000 sloks in markandey puranas he took only 700 sloks that deal with battle scenes

and changed those.

Fateh!

The story related in Chandi di // is from chapters 78-90 of the 134 chapters of Markandeya Purana. These chapters are called Devi Mahatyam, Chandi Path, or Durga Saptashati because there are 700 salokas (saptashata = 700).

Dasmesh Pita condensed the 700 verses of Durga Saptashati into Chandi di // by removing all of the verses in praise of Durga. The battles described in Chandi di // are also much more detailed than those in Durga Saptashati, though the names of the demons who are destroyed by Durga are the same.

Chandi di // was written to insire bir ras, as is obvious to anyone who reads ths bani. Another possible reason why Dasmesh Pita may have decided to rewrite this bani is because it is the first Hindu text that attempts to describe God in feminine terms rather than in the traditional Vedic scriptures where the female divinities are regarded as being nothing more than companions of the supreme male devatas. Dasmesh Pita thus raises the status of the female principle and women as being just as important as the patriarchal male.

In Sikhi, Chandi represents the power of Akal Purakh to destroy evil, and in spiritual terms Chandi represents that divine part of ourselves that battles to overcome the demons of pride, anger, ignorance and so on that are represented by the demons in Chandi di // like Sumbh, Nisumbh.

Regards,

K.

chandi is no seprate identity it is ad shakti of akal purkh ... and its old name was durga di vaar not chandi di vaar we can say chandi di vaar is kind of changed name of this bani ...

akalpurkh is shakti only pure shakti himself and like a sea and durga is drop of that sea but the same shakti ... sri rama sri krishna took power from akalpurkh to kill bad ... but durga was created by akalpurkh himself to kill bad ... it was formed not born ...

chandi is no seprate identity it is ad shakti of akal purkh ... and its old name was durga di vaar not chandi di vaar we can say chandi di vaar is kind of changed name of this bani ...

akalpurkh is shakti only pure shakti himself and like a sea and durga is drop of that sea but the same shakti ... sri rama sri krishna took power from akalpurkh to kill bad ... but durga was created by akalpurkh himself to kill bad ... it was formed not born ...

Guru Sahib calls Ram Krishan and them lot fools and equivilent to ants and worms so how can they have the power of Akaal in them?