Amritvella

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a philosophical sense you could say that whenever you recite bani it is amritwella.

But please do not confuse this with the Rehat amritwella which requires all Sikhs to rise early in the morning 2/3 hours before sunrise (best choose a time early in the morning, say 3.00am and stick to it regardless of when the sun rises)take a bath and recite the panj bani's.

People who have no rehat themselves will justify there laxness by twisting concepts for their own means, do not be confused by them.

Gurbani says only he can call himeslf my Sikh one who raises at amritwelley and recites gurbani.

ਮਃ

Mėhlā 4.

Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā▫e so bẖalke uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ

Uḏam kare bẖalke parbẖāṯī isnān kare amriṯ sar nāvai.

Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ

Upḏes gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ lėh jāvai.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi▫ā uṯẖ▫ḏi▫ā har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ

Jo sās girās ḏẖi▫ā▫e merā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.

One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ

Jis no ḏa▫i▫āl hovai merā su▫āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏes suṇāvai.

That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥

Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||

Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

okay this bit below:

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ

Upḏes gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ lėh jāvai.

Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ

Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏi▫ā uṯẖ▫ḏi▫ā har nām ḏẖi▫āvai.

Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

quite a few interpretations, as usual 3/4 arth can be made of gurbani, from different points of view etc.

some say, after rising early and bathing (previous line) we are to do jaap - simran of vaheguru.

Then charai divas - on rising of the sun gurbani gavai, proceed with gurbani.

There's a sakhi as well, in suraj prakash i think, an ustaad ji was telling me 9-3 sleep, then 2 or 2 and half hours of simran til 6, followed by nitnem, gurbani. (i think it was a guru amar daas ji sakhi)

Also imo the first line there could be interpreted as, after bathing (commas):

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ, ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ, ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ

as with guru ji's command, recite 'har har' vaheguru doing jaap(simran)...

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ, ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ, ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ

as with guru ji's command - received from har (akaalpurakh), hari's bani jap (jap ji sahib) should then be recited...

anyway, it's generally accepted and practised that 2-6am being amrit vela, and singhs try to complete nitnem by 6am.

and the charai divas gurbani gavai, becomes singing of kirtan i.e. aasaa di vaar

wjkk wjkf,

The reason i am asking is because one told me that any time a banee is read... That moment becomes amritvella.. just like Guru have said, Thirath is the place where banee is read...

What do you think...

wjkk wjkf

for amritdhari gursikhs amritvela is 2/3 hrs before sunrise.... thats suppose to b daily routine for evry gursikh and it mentions in soo many places in sri guru granth sahib ji and bhai gurdas ji vaara..let me knw if u still want amritvella shabads!! and guru sahib give too much importance to amritvela.....

well the time when bani is read.. that becomes amritvella... that amritvella u talkin about is amritvella when gurmukhs drinks in amrit that is the higher stage... and those gurmukhs who reached at that stage they drinks in amrit athai pehar and naam started in there rom rom and on that stage gurmukhs doesnt need some hardcore amritvela tho they neva give up there amritvela<rise early in mornin> because they already reached at certain stage and guru ji mentions here that avastha of gurmukh in gurbani

ikAw svxw ikAw jwgxw gurmuiK qy prvwxu ]

kiaa savanaa kiaa jaaganaa guramukh thae paravaan ||

Who is asleep, and who is awake? Those who are Gurmukh are approved.

ijnw swis igrwis n ivsrY sy pUry purK prDwn ]

jinaa saas giraas n visarai sae poorae purakh paradhhaan ||

Those who do not forget the Lord, with each and every breath and morsel of food, are the perfect and famous persons.

http://www.sikhitoth...p?ShabadID=1186

wjkk wjkf

wjkk wjkf,

The amrit is not an amrit to be drank. It is when bane is contemplated on, meditation. That is the real amrit.Amrit, according to Wikipedia, is a Sanskrit word, meaning something that is immortal and hence, Guru’s shabad is immortal-amrit.

Amrit in ath pahar, means amrit 24 hours a day (1 pahar = 3 hours). True what you have said – gurusikhs do not need amritvella because they have reached a certain stage.

We are to do jaap. And then when the day break, we do gurbane. What is one just sits and thinks about God. Without chanting or simran. What if the person just thinks of the greatness of Allah?

Love does not come with rules – that’s what my Guru said. My Guru said, first, we must clean the inside of our Ghar (our mind) and the outside does not matter.

Like say, if one does not bathe before praying but the love for God is real, then what?

Simran, gurbane, accoding to my Guru should be all the time. Yes it should be started off early in the day, but does not mean that one part of the day is better. This is very ritualistic. Very Brahmin. Guru Arjan said ‘ All times and season are the same.” Look at barah maha. Guru Arjan never made one month better than another. same goes with time. After all, God is beyond time.

wjkk wjkf

wjkk wjkf,

The amrit is not an amrit to be drank. It is when bane is contemplated on, meditation. That is the real amrit.Amrit, according to Wikipedia, is a Sanskrit word, meaning something that is immortal and hence, Guru's shabad is immortal-amrit.

Amrit in ath pahar, means amrit 24 hours a day (1 pahar = 3 hours). True what you have said gurusikhs do not need amritvella because they have reached a certain stage.

We are to do jaap. And then when the day break, we do gurbane. What is one just sits and thinks about God. Without chanting or simran. What if the person just thinks of the greatness of Allah?

Love does not come with rules that's what my Guru said. My Guru said, first, we must clean the inside of our Ghar (our mind) and the outside does not matter.

Like say, if one does not bathe before praying but the love for God is real, then what?

Simran, gurbane, accoding to my Guru should be all the time. Yes it should be started off early in the day, but does not mean that one part of the day is better. This is very ritualistic. Very Brahmin. Guru Arjan said ' All times and season are the same." Look at barah maha. Guru Arjan never made one month better than another. same goes with time. After all, God is beyond time.

wjkk wjkf

How is this brahmanistic if it says in Gurbani and Rehatnamas to wake up for amrit vela.

PrIdw ipCl rwiq n jwigEih jIvdVo muieEih ]

fareedhaa pishhal raath n jaagiouhi jeevadharro mueiouhi ||

Fareed, if you do not awaken in the early hours before dawn, you are dead while yet alive.

jy qY rbu ivswirAw q rib n ivsirEih ]107]

jae thai rab visaariaa th rab n visariouhi ||107||

Although you have forgotten God, God has not forgotten you. ||107||

pishael Raat means before the sun rises. In the following pangti Bhai Gurdas Ji uses the same vocab ( Pishal Raat) indicating to wake up before the sun rises.

ipCl rwqIN jwgxw nwmu dwnu iesnwnu idVwey]

pishhal raathee(n) jaaganaa naam dhaan eisanaan dhirraaeae||

The Sikh awakes in the pre-dawn hour and meditating upon Naam, he becomes alert for ablution and charity.

Another pangti

gurisK Blky auT kir AMimRq vyly sru nHwvMdw]

gurasikh bhalakae out(h) kar a(n)mrith vaelae sar nhaava(n)dhaa||

The Gurmukh getting up in ambrosial hours of the early morning takes bath in the sacred tank.

The above MahaVak by Bhai Gurdas Ji indicates a Gurmukh gets up in the morning during amrit vela .

Rehatnama states

gurisK rihq sunhu hy mIq prBwqy auT kr ihq cIq ]

gurasikh rehith sunahu hae meeth parabhaathae out(h) kar hith cheeth ||

Listen Sikh of the Guru, to the code of discipline. Awake at the Ambrosial hours and focus your attention on the Lord.

Rehatnama Bhai Nand Laal Jee

Thus the following is an indication of the importance of Amrit Vela. Amrit Vela is a sacred time its where beast stay a sleep while those who want to awaken themselves from this beastly existence wake up. Your right God is timeless. But to wake up so early out of love for God one meets the timeless Jot. As God always blesses those who make sacrifice and make an effort to please him.

wjkk wjkf,

The amrit is not an amrit to be drank. It is when bane is contemplated on, meditation. That is the real amrit.Amrit, according to Wikipedia, is a Sanskrit word, meaning something that is immortal and hence, Guru's shabad is immortal-amrit.

Amrit in ath pahar, means amrit 24 hours a day (1 pahar = 3 hours). True what you have said – gurusikhs do not need amritvella because they have reached a certain stage.

Love does not come with rules – that's what my Guru said. My Guru said, first, we must clean the inside of our Ghar (our mind) and the outside does not matter.

Simran, gurbane, accoding to my Guru should be all the time. Yes it should be started off early in the day, but does not mean that one part of the day is better. This is very ritualistic. Very Brahmin. Guru Arjan said ' All times and season are the same." Look at barah maha. Guru Arjan never made one month better than another. same goes with time. After all, God is beyond time.

wjkk wjkf

waheguru virji i dunno wat u talkin about but lemme tell u ji the actully amrit guru sahib talks abt is actullly suppose to be drank.. one amrit is when panj gave u while amrit sanchar and another amrit is when u drinks frm ur inner side and where ever guru ji talks abt amrit, har ras, jal, nd etc in gurbani, guru ji talks abt that real amrit... when gursikhs reached at certain stage by japping naam everyday. amrit start drenching from there dasam duar. and thats the actual amrit u drink. u taste it.. u feel it and hanji gurmukhs drank athai pehar 24/7... and another thing i wanna make sure ji this is not someones words i am talkin abt, this is personal experience by guru jis kirpa. hope u gt ur answer in my these two posts and rest of things sukhdeep virji cleared..

wjkk wjkf

wjkk wjkf,

Back to the main question. Amritvella is really important meaning the time. what if a Sikh, who prays from the time he gets up and till he sleeps but does not get up at 12 - 6 o clock? Does he attain salvation? And he is humble and nice and all... saintly qualities, but does not get up at that time.