How To Tie My Dhari

london001

very hard for me to give you any suggestions because dunno what work you do . personally, if you combed and looked after your beautiful dharee flowing loose you would in our eyes look so handsome and saintly and strong from what i can visualise about you,..... and such a delightful sight in the Eyes of Guru Gobind Singh . Your beautiful dharee ,your beautiful dastar ,your love filled eyes ,your radiant cheeks ,your glowing face ,your smily mouth ,your chardikela straight back physical frame----all of this put together makes you appear a SUPER BEING ,from BATTELE STAR GALLACTICA ,hahaaa . dhan Guru,dhan Guru pyareh .

why not send an email around your work place amongst your work associates ,and seniors ,see if anyone objects to your flowing beard or considers it untidy . i seriuosly doubt anyone would say that .we live in a multicultural society where there is tolerance and acceptance of each other's looks ,and the focus is more on the brain and intellect of a person and his/her knowledge ,education levels and skills sets ,as well as personality .

Bro, I am no one to talk about rehat and sikhi. You are probably 10x the sikh I am. I hope you find what you need here. There are many youth who read this forum and all I am saying to all is 'think about it'.

You are not alone in importing much baggage into your assumptions. As for simple questions, the simplest might be whether you believe our Guru Ji's were neat in appearance?

I know your intention is honest with no offence intended. You have handled yourself with impressive dignity so for in the thread. But do think for a moment about how offensive and damaging to sikhi suggestions such as "tied dhari = neatness" are. This is directed not at you bro but all of us as a collective. The Sikh is a saint soldier with body and MIND. We lead, not follow. A Sikh should say "show me the job that suggests neatness is a tied dhari and I'll perform that job to demand twice the price with a khulli/NEAT dhari and then buy the company" BUT regardless a Sikh should say I'll do it MY WAY.

whats wrong with wanting your dhari to look neat?

When you tie your pug don't you take time to ensure its neat? Whats so wrong with wanting to do the same with the dhari?

I don’t take issue with the simple act of tying a dhari.

The problem lies with your specified reason---neatness. There is nothing wrong with wanting your dhari look neat. However, if you want to go by the definitions of current western culture, any dhari, tied or otherwise can be considered to be“not neat”.

Who defines neat? Were Guru Gobind Singh Ji or Guru Nanak Dev Ji not neat?, not groomed? Import some confidence and independent thought into your reasoning bro, that will be neat.

I am not talking about western standards. Its a pretty simple question and its something that 1000s of people do everyday. I guess what you're trying to say is that only a singh who doesn't tie his dhari is a sikh as per the rehat.

budhha singh veerhee hahaa you said he only 10% more sikh than you haha . sumone has a degree in stats here looks it hahaaa . how u measure 10% hahaa . u mean 10% more simran than you or how means hahaaa . i suppose i am 'meh jeha na heram khor' as bhai gurdassays and 'humre avgun bohoth bohoth ,hau bar bar genth na aveh'' ,and ''hum avgun bhareh,ek gun nahi '' hence , you and he put together must be 99.999999 more sikh than me as im good 4 nuffin useless old 'chimcha'' hahaaa .

and to london001 you going accept buddha jee's wisdom or is this another battle royale shaping up hahaaaa . i betta stay out of this else my dharee may get entangled in your quarrel hahaaa . but must say buddhasingh is wise in questioning the logic tying neatness with tying dharee . i just realised your dharee is only 6-7'' long anyway . i was just about to pray it grows a foot long because that will make you look soooooo lion hahaaa .

To the person who opened the thread... here is simple method that i used to do couple of years ago:

DO NOT use FIXO.. NEVER EVER !! This thing is SOOO STRONG that eventually later in life, it leads to hair loss (100% sure).

If you want to tie dhari, get hold of simple *soft* gel and use very limited amount mixed with water in your palm before applying it to your dhari.

OR If you don't want to use any type of gel, then use Johnson & Johnson baby oil before taking bath (not too much) and after you done with ishnaan then apply very little oil along with water in your palm before applying to your dhaaara and then tie it for say 15 mins and you will be sticky free from all type of chemicals hidden inside of gels :)

I used to tie my dhaara during skool years but eventually got tired out of it and i am happy being natural and chemical free :)

To the person who opened the thread... here is simple method that i used to do couple of years ago:

DO NOT use FIXO.. NEVER EVER !! This thing is SOOO STRONG that eventually later in life, it leads to hair loss (100% sure).

If you want to tie dhari, get hold of simple *soft* gel and use very limited amount mixed with water in your palm before applying it to your dhari.

OR If you don't want to use any type of gel, then use Johnson & Johnson baby oil before taking bath (not too much) and after you done with ishnaan then apply very little oil along with water in your palm before applying to your dhaaara and then tie it for say 15 mins and you will be sticky free from all type of chemicals hidden inside of gels smile.gif

I used to tie my dhaara during skool years but eventually got tired out of it and i am happy being natural and chemical free smile.gif

Thank you for a sensible reply.

Perhaps if you feel that the bakshish of your dari is "messy", then you may want to re-think about why you keep it.

I don't see tieing one's dara as an issue (if it's really necessary). But if feel paranoid that it's not "neat" a "mess" on your face then you seriously should think about why you're keeping your Guru's gift.

I think no "fixo" can "fix" that paranoia!!!

WJKK WJKF

I am a little upset with some of the comments made by my fellow Singh's. We have a brother who would like some tips regarding how his dhari should be tied and kept comfortable for work. On the other hand we have other brothers who have mentioned the word 'messy'. London001 did not mention that his dhari was messy at all.

In society today we have so many problems with youth cutting their hair and dhari's. Is it really a good idea to tell people that if they think their dhari is 'messy' then they should consider why they keep their dhari?

Are we here to encourage our Sikh brothers and sisters to stop beadbi of their kesh or discourage them because they shouldn't tie their dhari's?????

Please think before we start hurting the feelings of our brothers and sisters!

Phul Chuk Maaf

Just look in a mirror after your ishnan ,all your morning nitnem ,waheguru simran ,and you will see in it a saintly looking soldier with a dastar/keshki/dumalla ,flowing beard and a shining radiant face ,penetrating insightful fearless loving eyes and a contented smile of divine joy and you will be reminded of GURU GOBIND SINGH MAHARAJ.

bro look at post number 6 where tied dhari is equated to neatness. Who's kidding who about the connotations, it could not be clearer. But if you're defending our bro london001, analyzing his words is not the way to do it. That is what the problem appears to be on the surface. Rather, analyzing OUR thoughts as a collective is important. We are in this together, and there are brothers who tie their dhari who I wish I was half the sikh they are. However, I would ask them also to consider our collective self-esteem and prejudices.

Perhaps if you feel that the bakshish of your dari is "messy", then you may want to re-think about why you keep it.

I don't see tieing one's dara as an issue (if it's really necessary). But if feel paranoid that it's not "neat" a "mess" on your face then you seriously should think about why you're keeping your Guru's gift.

I think no "fixo" can "fix" that paranoia!!!

WJKK WJKF

I am a little upset with some of the comments made by my fellow Singh's. We have a brother who would like some tips regarding how his dhari should be tied and kept comfortable for work. On the other hand we have other brothers who have mentioned the word 'messy'. London001 did not mention that his dhari was messy at all.

In society today we have so many problems with youth cutting their hair and dhari's. Is it really a good idea to tell people that if they think their dhari is 'messy' then they should consider why they keep their dhari?

Are we here to encourage our Sikh brothers and sisters to stop beadbi of their kesh or discourage them because they shouldn't tie their dhari's?????

Please think before we start hurting the feelings of our brothers and sisters!

Phul Chuk Maaf

Granted, beard tying isn't really promoted by the rehit. Gurus didn't do it, Singhs didn't do it. The only reason to do it (outside of specified professions) was to please the British; now we just do it to please others who got used to pleasing those who used to please the British. However, leaving that aside, there are some occupations where keeping your beard tied (in some fashion) would be best for safety. These might include machine/saw/lathe operator, surgeon, and food worker. I haven't seen any posts that really explain how to tie a dhari if you had to one day. Do we need some dhari tying videos lol (like the dastar tying videos)? One alternative might be to tie a patka (piece of fabric) around your dhari extending to be tied above your turban, like the Nihang Singhs do, only neater. Some men, esp. ex-Army, seem to wear those things all day (but they tie it under their turban).