Concentration

When doing prayers at times I find myself thinking about something else,from the inside I dont want to feel this at all and each time before I begin I think im not going to think of anything,also I try to have shabads very lowly in the background to help.I do Ardaas every day that I can concentrate 100%.But im just reaching a point where im becoming fed up with myself.

Thanks to al replys smile.gif

If you read, keep your eyes on Gurbani. If you listen, keep your ears on the sound. That's all you need to do, don't worry about concentration anymore than that. Over time your concentration will stop wandering automatically, be patient, it may take a few months or a few years....and keep doing ardaas.

Take your surti (point of attention), pick it up from the wandering thoughts and gently direct it to Bani. It's a tiny bit more complex than this, but you'll get it. It just takes practice, be patient.

Also remember, don't worry about the thoughts, if they are there, they are there, if they are not, they are not. Just keep the focus on Bani. So bani should be in the foreground, nothing else in the background, but if there are thoughts in the background, leave them bani and keep focus on bani.

Fateh!

Close one of your eyes and look at the tip of your nose. Concentrate on this point and be aware of the inhalation and exhalation of breath until your mind settles. Then proceed to reciting your bani. You can do this after each bani if your mind wanders. This is a technique that Sant Jagjit Singh Harkhowale mentions in his autobiography.

K.

Are you understanding the bani that you read?

I had the same problem and it was down to actions that were mere repetative, rather than truely contemplative.

Doing ardasa for more concentration and then not feeling that your wish has been fulfilled will frustrate you undoubteldly. Make sure that your understanding of the Gurbani is thorough - Santhiya teacher is ideal but not always an option to everyone. The next best thing would be to start exploring translations yourself in small chunks and ideally with another Sikh so you share thoughts and come to common conclusions. Whilst doing this it may be easier to concentrate when someone else reads the bani, by attending the gurudwara for instance. Its amazing how you are able to focus more when someone else reads with calm and serene beauty and you listen. Eventually you will master being able to read the bani and your inner spirit will vibrate with the every word that Guruji has given....but it takes time and the skill comes quicker to some, so do not be disheartened - it will happen.

the gutka that i use one line of the pat is in punjabi and underneath it is in english.opposite there are translations.so most times i do know the lines without looking at that page (without boasting or anything) and instead i say it outloud while reading the translations.i feel that does help me bcs if i dont know what im saying then i feel i would find it pointless of me reading so when i do this it makes me concentrate better.but yeah its a very good point that u made so i think i will do that alll the time insted of most times and i will defo take the time to contemplate more bcs yeh there are prob a few times where i dont think abt what im reading.thank you for ur advice.

watch this while hearing the naad but when off track read the english (Reharaas)

same thing but with JAPJI

then just find the other ones you want. like SUkhmani Sahib Paat is good to watch and listen etc....

or watch a video that shows alot of kurbani before you do paat and it will inspire you to love to do your paats etc................

that "Amar Khalsa" video is a good way to know why we are fortunate to even have paat still here today......

Gurufateh g

step one is to make love well up

sometimes what i love to do and it gives so much rass is just keep repeating a tukh until it pierces inside

another idea is that if ur having trouble i remember the shabad by Bhai Gurdas Ji

Charan Sharan Gur ik paina jaiye chal satguru kot paina agay hoye lait hai

meaning if we take one step to the shelter of the Gurus feet the Guru will take kot steps towards us

in that shabad Bhai Gurdas Ji says that if we repeat Gods name even once eveytime we repeat it it will make Guru Ji love us more

think of this wen u cant concentrate with simran

keep japping naam and imagine Guru Jis infinate love 4 u increasing

than prem will well up insiide :):)