Sikh Channel Expenditures

Hau Apraadhi

I think (and know for a fact for some Gurdwaras) that one reason why some Gurdwara's have not offered support is the lack of complete transparency by the Sikh Channel. There have been many questions posed by the sangat and most are still unanswered.

What excuses do you/some Gurdwaras still require? If a monthly income/expenditure statement is not enough then what is this "complete transparency"? In reality are you really looking for a “behind the scenes” view at the work culture, work environment, kamai of sevadars, who's who etc?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coolwater, as far as I know The Sikh Channel have been to all the main Gurdwaray in the UK, the big ones in Birmingham, Wolves and London - ALL have refused to back them, nobody is giving any money.

Hmmm, even if most gurdwara commitees have not backed them I still dont know why there is a funding crisis anyway. Usually even small channels get advertising revenue from a syndicated program where a set of mainstream adverts and played on many channels and owners of those channels get their share of the advertising revenue but it seems the owners of Sikh channel have soley relied on getting mostly sikh businesses to advertise themselves which is a hard task especially in a recession.

It was a mistake to launch so quickly without have a proper business model, securing a reliable source of income and good programing (all I see is phaath being done and kirtan played 24/7 people might aswell watch youtube) . It all seems a bit "on the fly" to me not very professional to say the least but having said that it is important that all issues have been resolved in terms of the transparency of accounts,etc if this channel is to have full support of the UK and worldwide sangat.

As you would appear to be somewhat of an expert, why don't u go to the channel and share some of this 'expertise', I'm sure the very few people who are taking there valuable time out trying to improve the channel for the sangat would appreciate help which has yet to be forthcoming. Instead of acknowledging their great efforts we sit on forums being highly critical of their work. I remain amazed at how ungrateful we are that we finally even have such a platform

Coolwater, as far as I know The Sikh Channel have been to all the main Gurdwaray in the UK, the big ones in Birmingham, Wolves and London - ALL have refused to back them, nobody is giving any money.

Hmmm, even if most gurdwara commitees have not backed them I still dont know why there is a funding crisis anyway. Usually even small channels get advertising revenue from a syndicated program where a set of mainstream adverts and played on many channels and owners of those channels get their share of the advertising revenue but it seems the owners of Sikh channel have soley relied on getting mostly sikh businesses to advertise themselves which is a hard task especially in a recession.

It was a mistake to launch so quickly without have a proper business model, securing a reliable source of income and good programing (all I see is phaath being done and kirtan played 24/7 people might aswell watch youtube) . It all seems a bit "on the fly" to me not very professional to say the least but having said that it is important that all issues have been resolved in terms of the transparency of accounts,etc if this channel is to have full support of the UK and worldwide sangat.

What excuses do you/some Gurdwaras still require? If a monthly income/expenditure statement is not enough then what is this "complete transparency"? In reality are you really looking for a “behind the scenes” view at the work culture, work environment, kamai of sevadars, who's who etc?

As mentioned previously - I have already set up by direct debit for the Sikh Channel and think it is a great channel.

However, some sangat raised questions around its finances, the need for regular detailed financial information, its relationship with BritAsia, how Sangat should be involved in its board etc etc.

Personally to me, all of that makes no difference... however it does matter to some others. So I can't see why Sikh Channel doesn't just go ahead and answer all these queries and clear everything up. Maybe do a live phone show with the 'owners' where all questions could finally be put to rest.

I think the reality is that for some people it will never be enough, no matter how transparent everything is, they will just complain and critisize. It is either in their blood to just keep pulling people down or they have a personel vendeta against the channel or the people running it, so they will never be satisfied.

I even get private emails from 'Princess and Lions' who in the mail just critisize, raise doubt and cause confusion against the channel.

Just one question, as we are on the subject of income generation... why does sikh channel only ever show one advert, the same advert which is predominantly shown on Britasia also... the Direct Insurance (or whatever its called). I have been told that Bal is associated with this company (sitson the Board of Directors or something).

This seems highly unprofessional and a serious conflict of interest if its true... things like this are going to be the undoing of the Sikh Channel.

Also, as we are on teh subject of high quality programming, with all due respect and no offence intended, it would be good if Boota Singh could a break once in a while, yesterday he was using an old joke (re the drowning man, God and a helicopter) as the basis of kathaa regarding hukum, which in my view was a pretty poor and irrelevant aid. Also, there are so many talented kirtani (youths) out there, it would be good to see more diversity and Sikhs who do seva in one specific area (i.e. either kirtan, simran, taarna or kathaa) rather than here Bhai Sahibs mix of gurbani, simran and taarna – which is always to the same tune. This does not take away from Boota Singhs good intentions.

No offence intended, I am simply providing a collective sangats perspective (after having spoken to other Gursikh who watch this channel). I am mentioning it here as SC are more likely to take notice here rather than being contacted directly.

Thanks.