Next Step In Becoming A Sikh

newtosikhi

Hello I have been researching Sikhism for a while now and I feel that I should prepare myself for becoming a Sikh.

I am a non-Punjabi living in Burnaby and I was wondering which of the following gurdwaras should I should start

attending in order to start on my path Towards Sikhism. Canadian Ramgharia Society Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar Khalsa Diwan Society Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar Akali Singh Sikh Society Sikh Temple Sukhsagar Signed Norman Crowther

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Hello "Newtosikhi", I hope your ok :)

Although I myself do not live in Canada and can't answer your question exactly, I just wanted to say that I too am not punjabi - but gora, and if you ever feel you want to chat or ask any questions; sikhi based or not, feel free to message me :lol:

Take Care

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Hello I have been researching Sikhism for a while now and I feel that I should prepare myself for becoming a Sikh.

I am a non-Punjabi living in Burnaby and I was wondering which of the following gurdwaras should I should start

attending in order to start on my path Towards Sikhism. Canadian Ramgharia Society Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar Khalsa Diwan Society Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar Akali Singh Sikh Society Sikh Temple Sukhsagar Signed Norman Crowther

wjkk wjkf,

the ones to go to are gurdwara sahib dasmesh darbar ( i presume u are talking about the one in surrey), sukhsagar gurdwara ( the one in new west minister) is also really good, its run by sikh youth and there maybe you can find more people who can help you converse between punjabi and english as well as events etc that you may find suitable if you are new to punjabi, khalsa darbar gurdwara in vancouver is also good( i think its the one that was an old church before right), the others im not too sure about cus i havent personally gone to those so i cant remember what ones they are off the top of my head but ones you should avoid are nanaksar gurdwara ( the one thats by those big fields - looks like a gurdwara from india right) and ramgharia society gurdwara because sikhism doesnt promote castes and the very name of the gurdwara goes against that and i would be wary stepping into there.. do go to the ones i mentioned tho, thats your best bet!

politics etc are always the problem in every religion but the ones i mentioned are good gurdware where u will meet many gursikhs and true sikh principles are practiced in each one of those to the best of the communities ability!

you might also want to attend the nagar kirtan held at kalgidhar darbar gurdwara ( in abbotsford) during the long weekend ( the 6th i believe) that gurdwara is also good..the nk is to celebrate guru granth sahib jis parkash

If ya ever need advice or want to ask questions, I can help ya too. Watch out for all the jealous people who call themselves Sikhs and will try to mislead you because they are insecure about how they dont follow Sikhi. First step is dont cut your hair so you can tie a proper turban. Second get a Gutka Sahib(If you need one I will send you one) Go to www.Sikhnation.com and order the book "Guide to Spiritual Consciousness"(they are free on that website) Third step dont get invloved with 3ho(white sikhs) yoga stuff (many reasons why not to and Im not going to write a 14million word essay on why not)

Im farengi also.

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

If ya ever need advice or want to ask questions, I can help ya too. Watch out for all the jealous people who call themselves Sikhs and will try to mislead you because they are insecure about how they dont follow Sikhi. First step is dont cut your hair so you can tie a proper turban. Second get a Gutka Sahib(If you need one I will send you one) Go to www.Sikhnation.com and order the book "Guide to Spiritual Consciousness"(they are free on that website) Third step dont get invloved with 3ho(white sikhs) yoga stuff (many reasons why not to and Im not going to write a 14million word essay on why not)

Im farengi also.

i know we are not supposed to feed the ego of another sikh as that can bring one down, but please take this lightly, i must say you are a really blessed soul to realize all of this while not being born into a sikh family, idk if someone taught you and you met the right person or what but very good karam indeed, to come from another religion at birth to sikhi and to realize the things you have realized..i must say im quite impressed! im not putting any religious group down and i wont go further into that but i can see where you may run into problems with it if you know what im talking about, and its really impressive to see that even though that would be your first resort ( one would think anyway) you can pick up right away whats wrong and whats right..i hope my post made sense, i didnt want to directly say anything on a particular topic but i think you can find some meaning in between the lines

bolee so nihaal! saatsriakaal!

ps forgive my ignorance but whats farengi?

ps forgive my ignorance but whats farengi?
It means foreigner it is a proper term to use for a white or person of European decent. I dont mind being called a gora but gora is more of a slang loose term and Id rather call myself a ferengi Sikh rather than a gora Sikh etc.
i know we are not supposed to feed the ego of another sikh as that can bring one down,
its ok Im insulted with your kind words :lol: haha

Sukh Sagar in new west is the best place for you to begin b/c it is much more accessible to non-Punjabi speakers. http://sukhsagar.ca/

Also, another place where youth go to learn about Sikhi is Guru Nanak Academy, it is not a gurdwara but there is teaching and English katha there on Saturday night. Different gurdwaras have English katha at different times, I don't know the times, but the Guru Nanak Academy people and Sukh Sagar people can help you.

http://www.gurunanakacademy.com/

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

i was going to recommend guru nanak academy saturday programs at first but then i didnt..for different reasons..but i guess its a good start-guru nanak academy program on saturdays starts at around 6 and ends roughly at around 9 ( you get free langar there and its always really good- dw i wont be there lol

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone that I have not reponded to my posts for the past month as I have been tthrough a lot in the past month due to a relation break-up and a new apartment.

Anyway I visited the following gurdwaras and I discovered significant diferences between them

Canadian Ramgharia Society

People were friendly, however the president was not a bapitized Sikh.

Gurdwara Sahib Dasmesh Darbar

Conservative gurdwara, very friendly people and very committed to the Sikh faith

Khalsa Diwan Society

Liberal Gurdwara, I thought that some of the gurdwara leaders were a little rude

Nanaksar Gurdwara Gursikh Temple

Friendly people, but the display of images around the gurdwara seemed to contradict Sikh teaching on idol worship

Gurdwara Khalsa Darbar

Conservative Gurdwara, very friendly people

Akali Singh Sikh Society

Liberal Gurdwara, but very open people

Sikh Temple Sukhsagar

Very community orientated gurdwara

Shri Guru Ravidass Sabha Temple

Friendly people, seemed to be a gurdwara that is unlike most other gurdwara due to display of characters from Hindu mythology around the gurdwara, also one member told me that the Shri Guru Ravidass is the best gurdwara for anyone wanting to become a Sikh because the gurdwara belongs to a Sikh sect mostly composed of Dalits who are welcoming. I was also told to stay away from the Dashmesh Gurdwara because it is Jatt dominated