Singhrow Uk Prison Service Study

singhrow

Sikh-Punjabi Youth in the UK prison system feel Isolated and let down by there community.

Introduction:

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji came to redeem the world from the clutches of kuljug. Guru Ji reformed many sinners, in turn causing them to merge in waheguru. Amongst his travels he changed mass murders like sajjan the thug and he even softened the heart of cold blooded cannibals. In recent history Sants have reformed many lives by linking the masses to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Sant Jarnail Singh Ji Bhindranwale converted the lives of many robbers, drug dealers and smugglers for the better. He made them give up the evils of intoxication, meat eating and unnecessary violence. With the power of Gurbani anyone can change, Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Ji talks about how a very dirty prostitute after repeating waheguru name became pure and merged back into waheguru. Sikhi is a missionary religion to help give people peace of mind and food for their soul by linking them with the Shabad (the medicine of these troubled times).

About me:

I have myself spent most of my life in and out of jail, but with Guru Ji’s Kirpa, I have now found the sadh sangat. But in my little journey I have gained experience about the prison system in the United Kingdom. I have recently worked in a project in which I was in contact with some Sikh prisoners. They have expressed the current situation and feel very let down by their brothers and sisters on the outside. When someone goes to jail they are taken away from the hectic life of the outside world. Their attachments to family and friends have been broken by force to a certain extent. People in jail tend to do a lot of thinking and soul searching. People want answers and contentment, so most people turn to religion in this time of pain and misery.

Current situation:

· The local or nearest gyani comes to the prison for 1 hour once a week. (In which Nitnem is recited)

· The gyani does not know English most of the time, or very little even if they do speak it.

· The gyanis do not know how UK life is as most of them came here when they were fairly old. So the young prisoners cannot not relate to them.

· A lot of Sikh women in jail have no access to a gyani at all.

· The Muslims are organised and have young English speakers coming to jails to preach Islam. (A lot of prisoner’s form all backgrounds are converting to Islam). They have much more regular things for Muslims in jail.

· A lot of our prisoners are turning to Islam in jail, not because they hate Sikhi. Because there is no one to teach them it. So they decide to turn to Islam as an alterative out of desperation (in their cry of help).

· Most of the gyanis are only there to get paid they have no passion to teach Sikhi, it is just a duty for them.

Way Forward:

· Even if we have young English speaking voluntary workers going to prisons to help our people in prisons

· Take in laptops and do presentation on Sikh history and other topics. May be starting an organisation and get funding from the government just for this service.

· We defiantly need Singhnis to go to women prisons.

· Maybe we need to design a book about Sikhi aimed at prisoners and flood the prisons with it.

Conclusion

Our people need us; we are always ten steps behind others. It is about time we wake up and act, we all look the part but what have we done since we have come to this world other then fill our own desires.

thank you for posting an excellent and important topic. please see your personal message inbox.

it seems christianity, islam and budhism are represented well in britain.

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/azofsupportgroups/index.asp?id=105,90,91,100,0,0

I am not an expert in the uk prison system but i will make efforts to find out how we can cater for the needs of our brothers and sisters in prisons.

I think we should all bring more awareness to this issue.

I totally agree, and what better an audience to be taught about sikhi!

I find the fact that female prisoners have no-one to talk to shocking- we are definitely less represented than muslims and christians, i find in certain places that there are only muslim prayer rooms aswell- wish they had some for sikhs aswell! But the posted issue is one to bring up with local gurdwaras for sure.

Over the last 10 years I have come accross this situation a few times. The problem is no group takes collective responsibilty and the situation for Sikhs in prisons does not change.

Individually, you can visit Sikh inmates on a regular basis whether you knew them personally or not. Build a relationship with them and help them through their vunerable time. You may need to remove your kirpan at some prisons when visiting or when you pre-arrange your visit you can mention about your kirpan.

The situtation can only be changed by commitment from individuals because collectively no influential jathebhandi seems interested.

Guest fordcapri

To be honest i didnt think there are many Sikhs in Prison, are they ???

Would have thought the old 80s boys who inside are now dads, and changed.

Sikhs of this generation are in to Education, so they not in to crime.

Please Advise.

To be honest i didnt think there are many Sikhs in Prison, are they ???

Would have thought the old 80s boys who inside are now dads, and changed.

Please Advise.

Sometimes people go through a rough patch and end up in prison, whether young offenders or older people. From petty crimes to more serious crimes, it's surprising how some of our own may end up doing time. Kesdharis do get it rough in prison from other inmates and some will inevitably cut their kes to survive the prision term.

Whilst doing time people become very vunerable and many start reflecting on the jeevans. I know of 2 young ment in the same prision from different Sikh families who converted to islam in prision so that they could feel part of an inner muslim community within the prison system. Islamic parchar is strong in some of the prisions and many asian lads will become muslims in order to feel secure and protected.

Although Sikhs are comparatively small numbers in prison, we can not deny that they are being ignored during their most vunerable time and will run to muslim and christian groups for support.

i have seen alot of sikh prisoners in my time, there is alot of sikh women who fought back against their husbands that abused them (the provoked story). young girls that were hooked on heroin and commited petty crime. some times alot of people end up in prison for standing up for themselves or the truth just like the gurus did. i went jail 2 years ago for defending a muslim lady wearing the purka against racist yobs. there were many mona sikh-punjabi lads in prison. i used to tell them sakhi of bhai taru singh ji etc , alot of apnas started coming to sikh sessions through word of mouth, but then i got transferred to a new jail after four weeks were i served the rest of my term, i was one out of ten sikh prisoners in the new jail, the rest did not go to sikh sessions becuase they said they were boring.

even if there is one prisoner in jail (it dont matter about the numbers) and he/she feels let down. thats is one to many. guru hargobind transformed all the inmates he was with. shaheed bhai fauja singh spreaded sikhi in jail and with gurus kirpa managed to convince the jail to let the sikhs hold an akhand patt, where sangat from the outside was allowed in (miricle in itself)

you will be suprised on how much of our youth are serving time, you will only know the real picture when you start vising the jails or are doing time.

Ok here are the most recent stats I could find:

Population in English and Welsh prisons by religion in June 2008

No religion 26,626

Church of England 23,039

Roman Catholic 14,296

Muslim 9,795

Buddhist 1,737

Sikh 648

Atheist 570

Agnostic 514

Hindu 434

Pagan 366

Rastafarian 340

Jehovah's Witness 230

Jewish 220

Scientology 3

Source: Ministry of Justice

So there were 648 prisoners in 2008 . I personally knew 2 of them and know for a fact that they would have appreciated the support, one of them is very well read in sikhi and had alot of faith but this was noticeably less when they were released. Sometimes people need reminded in tehir most desperate and darkest moments that god is with them.

So many prisoners lose hope and many attempt suicide which is why they're not allowed certain items in with them which could allow them to do this. I really hope these people get the support they need!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/5977093/Buddhism-is-fastest-growing-religion-in-English-jails-over-past-decade.html

Please Advise.

Not true, there are a hell of alot of youth and older sikhs out there who are into drug dealing (esp uni students)- both hard and mild drugs, gangs and violence. Alchohol can also cause them to turn to violence in clubs etc. Most are never caught and alot who do get off on community service and probation. My main concern is the youth but its so widespread and common now, and most know and may have read about sikhi but dont follow it much :(

young girls that were hooked on heroin and commited petty crime.

A girl I know very well was exactly this and its heartbreaking Many young sikh women are encouraged to get hooked on drugs for the same reason muslims target them for conversion- there is a rumour that they're weak, vulnerable and easy, which is an outrage. Sometimes the drug depencency becomes such that victims will do anything for another hit......that's where petty crime and even prostitution can become involved. Sad but true. :(