Car Insurance

Menu Ke Patha

Get yourself insured as a named driver

I know you want to get the NCD growing but that can wait i spose.

Im 19 and drive a BMW and pay 1400 as a named driver... next year im going to try to put my name as the policy holder and get my NCD started.

More Than are good

Try www.gocompare.com i always use them

Fateh!

Try: gocompare.com, elephant.co.uk, confused.com.

Insurance can vary dpeneding upon your postcode as well (some parts of Birmingham, London, Manchester and Liverpool can be very expensive) so it's a good idea to enquire about prices with local brokers because they may offer a better rate than a regular insurer.

You can insure yourself as a named driver, but this is illegal (it's a form of fraud called fronted risk) if it is your car and you will be the main driver of the car. However, many people do this and get away with it fine.

Avoid bank insurance if you do not have any products with them (paid-for bank accounts, home insirance etc).

Just get a small car for the first few years and you should be fine.

K.

Fraud? My paperwork all state that i am the Main Driver on my policy and that my Father Drives his own vehicle for which he is the Policy Holder with no named drivers (both cars with one company).

Surely they would have notified me of that when taking out the policies?

(Its a genuine question and not an attack - thought id make that clear because of the attacks ive seen in the past :/ )

lol

stick 2 the sarbloh horse m8 :lol:

lolll fink its gonna have to be!!!!

btw loll half english half punjabi

its sarbloh ghora!! ghaghaaa!!

:)

back to topic:

ive got a corsa 1.2

dadd 8odd years NCB

but still like 2grand

im 18... and my mums on the quote..am i doin sumfink rong lol??

guroo kirpa

Fraud? My paperwork all state that i am the Main Driver on my policy and that my Father Drives his own vehicle for which he is the Policy Holder with no named drivers (both cars with one company).

Surely they would have notified me of that when taking out the policies?

(Its a genuine question and not an attack - thought id make that clear because of the attacks ive seen in the past :/ )

Fateh!

It's up to the underwriters to probe to determine if it is a case of fronted risk, but not everyone who sells you a policy will know enough to ask if this is the case (and some will be solely interested in the sale). They should have asked you, but I wouldn't ring them and ask them because then they will probably cancel your policy.

Some info on fronted risk from the Consumer Action Group (and the types of probing questions the underwriter will normally ask):

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/insurance-assurance-companies/146706-car-insurance-query-involved.html

And don't worry, Singh, I didn't think it was an attack but I thank you for your courtesy. ;-)

K.

Thanks for that Link Veer Ji

I read a couple of posts (not all) - what i can see is if the car is in your name and the policy holder is a parent then its a possible case of fronting - but ive covered that aspect of it and have had the car put into my dads name - although the car was paid for myself and i pay insurance and all maintenance - but its still in his name. Surely that cant be fronting? (Well it clearly is but legally i ask...)

Thanks for that Link Veer Ji

I read a couple of posts (not all) - what i can see is if the car is in your name and the policy holder is a parent then its a possible case of fronting - but ive covered that aspect of it and have had the car put into my dads name - although the car was paid for myself and i pay insurance and all maintenance - but its still in his name. Surely that cant be fronting? (Well it clearly is but legally i ask...)

Fateh!

Technically, even if the car is in one of your parents' name, if it is clear that you are the main driver (i.e. you tell them that you are) or that you are paying for the insurance and/or the vehicle, then it is still fronted risk.

However, if the car is in your mum's or dad's name, and they are put down as the main driver of more than one vehicle, one can still argue that one's parent still uses the other car more regularly than you do (e.g., your dad uses the main car for work and the second car on weekends, but you occasionally - perhaps once every other week or so - use the second car).

I wouldn't really worry about it since everyone with a kid under the age of 21 probably does it. It was just to make the OP aware of the fact that some underwriters will ask questions to determine if it is a case of fronted risk (and the OP needs to be prepared for this eventuality).

K.