Gherkin Scared Of Being Sliced

neemaana

http://www.30stmaryaxe.com/home.html

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Das went to see someone today at the famous gherkin building in London City. As per building management's security policy all the visitors have to go through strict airport type security check.

However das was appalled when das was asked to leave Kirpan with the security officers at the check point. Even after explaining the security manager, they were not ready to let das go inside the building whilst wearing the Kirpan. das also explained them what the Metropolitan Police guidelines are for practising Sikhs wearing Kirpans, but to no avail. By this time das was frustrated and was late for the meeting.

das is really annoyed with the fact that the security guys were not informed by their employer regarding the faith of other cultures despite the fact London is very multicultural. At the moment das is thinking of writing a complaint letter to the owners, facilities management, security management of the building and to Metropolitan Police for the ignorance on the part of their security personnel.

das would request Sangat to suggest/share/advise if they had similar experiences and suggestions etc. before das send a letter out to the management.

Many thanks,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

neemaana

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa Vaheguroo Jee Kee Phateh

Bhajee/Bhenji,

I'm appalled at hearing the way you were treated at the gherkin. I'm really glad to hear that you are not letting this incident go unnoticed and are taking action. I strongly advise you to get in touch with both Sikh Federation (UK) and United Sikhs. These are the only 2 that i can think of, i'm sure there are others.

There contact details are below

Sikh Federation: http://www.sikhfederation.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=68

United Sikhs: unitedsikhs-uk@unitedsikhs.org

Should amritdharis carry with them at all times the 'Metropolitan Police guidelines' for wearing kirpan?

Fateh Ji

I think this is a good idea however the moorakh standing infront questioning it still wont believe you.

Maybe its worth creating "licesnes" as such - similar to those Nihang Singhs have in the Dal. This would determine you are Amritdhari and this would be approved by the stupid government and police force. This would then have to be relayed down to all security firms to ensure these things done happen in the future.

At the moment, the Kirpan is an exception to the weapons act however those who need to know, dont know this. I had a policemen tell me it was a weapon and i had to remove it. Shows how their training goes - a race who carry in their eyes a dagger... didnt even know it was accepted.

I think the license would be a good idea, provided after an amrit sanchar only and to be carried at all times when leaving the house if you wish to know you be ok when going to public places.

I know this is not the ideal solution but it would help prove to idiots its accepted under the law as it would have a government seal or some crap on it. Maybe linked to a register similar to the gun laws...

At least we know a check can be done on a central database to prove that individual is supposed to be wearing a kirpan.

Should amritdharis carry with them at all times the 'Metropolitan Police guidelines' for wearing kirpan?

Fateh Ji

I think this is a good idea however the moorakh standing infront questioning it still wont believe you.

Maybe its worth creating "licesnes" as such - similar to those Nihang Singhs have in the Dal. This would determine you are Amritdhari and this would be approved by the stupid government and police force. This would then have to be relayed down to all security firms to ensure these things done happen in the future.

At the moment, the Kirpan is an exception to the weapons act however those who need to know, dont know this. I had a policemen tell me it was a weapon and i had to remove it. Shows how their training goes - a race who carry in their eyes a dagger... didnt even know it was accepted.

I think the license would be a good idea, provided after an amrit sanchar only and to be carried at all times when leaving the house if you wish to know you be ok when going to public places.

I know this is not the ideal solution but it would help prove to idiots its accepted under the law as it would have a government seal or some crap on it. Maybe linked to a register similar to the gun laws...

At least we know a check can be done on a central database to prove that individual is supposed to be wearing a kirpan.

Agreed.