Weight Loss : Muscle Building Or Pure Weight Loss

akitosforever

WJKK WJKF saad sangat,

calling all the tandarust gursinghs for help,

I have recently hit the GYM (finally), and wish to lose weight at a moderate pace. However my overll strcuture is Broad ...and I wish to transform the build to Athletic, with medium muscle.

1)I need to know If i should be doing only Cardio for the first month and lose all the weight ...or should tranform that extra fat into muscle directly by doing separate weight sessions.

2) The key element from what I researched in Weight Loss is Diet and not excercise , so what are the fat loss consumables that anyone would recommend. and an ideal diet

3) My Ideal weight accrding to height (6ft 2 in) shud be arnd 92-94 Kg and it stands at 99 . and the key mass areas being belly, hips and thighs. Any specific excercises to lose fat around these areas more quicker would also be appreciated.

All input ,further queries, (even)instructions are welcome.

Fateh.

You cannot turn fat into muscle, you can only burn the fat away and then build muscle to replace the mass that you lost. Secondly you cannot spot reduce fat, you will lose it all over, however it will go from the places you want it to go from last.

As your not too far from your goal weight, Id concentrate on doing a good amount of cardio for a period of 2-3 months whilst lifting a bit of weights to build some strength up. Id recommend Dand Behtaks every day for at least 30 minutes, then add some swimming, running or cycling. etc

Focus should be mainly on your diet, get rid of all junk food, fried food, crisps, coke, chocolate, cakes, excessive langar. Wake up in the morning and have a good balanced breakfast, good amount of carbs to get your metabolism going, have some toast with no butter, daliya (porridge) with no sugar, and a glass of semi skimmed milk. Have 5-6 light meals through the day so your metabolism doesnt shut down and keep active.

What promoted you to ask on these forums? why not the actual 'fitness forums'? ........don't kid yourself

tandarust gursinghs

do expand.

u wake up on the wrong side of the bed or sumfink bro?

why cnt he ask on this foroum? its the sangats foroum, its the guroo's sangat, if he can't ask the sangat, then who can he ask?

(sangat giving quality advice is another thing)

u wake up on the wrong side of the bed or sumfink bro?

why cnt he ask on this foroum? its the sangats foroum, its the guroo's sangat, if he can't ask the sangat, then who can he ask?

(sangat giving quality advice is another thing)

So you would go learn how to play with toys in uni? go for it, no ones stopping you.

Gurbar Akaal has already given good advice. I would like to add that even if your goal is to loose fat only, you will still highly benefit with weight training. Fat is "dead" tissue, it just sits there. Muscle, on the other hand is metabolically active tissue, which basically means that your body needs to spend energy just to keep the muscle you have. Translation, more muscle = more energy used to keep that muscle. Of course, energy is produced by burning calories. In the game of fat loss, it's all about creating a calorie deficit; # of calories in must be less than # of calories out; that's all there is to it. Research has shown it is better to increase activity rather than cutting calories. After reading that don't think that you can just starve yourself to loose fat, that will not work.

Since you are new to the gym, you can loose fat and gain muscle at the same time! So take advantage of this and do both cardio and weight training. In fact, if you structure your weight training properly, there is no need for cardio ;) It's a myth that you need cardio to loose fat, you don't. Yes cardio is very good for your heart and lungs so it should be done. But don't think for a second that you can't loose fat without doing cardio.

and the key mass areas being belly, hips and thighs. Any specific excercises to lose fat around these areas more quicker would also be appreciated.
As Gurbar Akaal said, you can't spot reduce fat. For example, if you want to loose fat from your stomach, you can't do crunches and expect to see results. You can only loose fat, your genetics decide which parts you loose fat from first and which last. Generally speaking, men tend to gain fat first and loose last from their bellies.

If you have more questions, post here and we will be happy to lend a helping hand :)

WJKK WJKF Sad Sangat Jee..

apologies to anyone who feels that this is a wrong place to address such a query. and dhanvaad to all who are lending their knowledge to the ignorant ( not me, lolz) .

moving on,

@Papi: what I have researched , tells me that Six Pack is made in the kitchen and not in the GYM, because Cardio will only be effective only when the access or reserve calories/fat burns up, and that is only possible If i Stop adding more fat to the body. so I guess this correlates to what you are saying about Cardio. But to be more specific, I wish to clarify if I should mix Weight training with Cardio while the focus is simply on loosing weight . If So should the weight training be intensive , or more of circuit types. In any case can u suggest anything that will be more specific for torso? I cant stop cardio as it helps build me stamina which i have struggled with, for years.

I dont want to, rather I cant , spare more than 90 minutes of total gym time ( including Cardion weight and Cool off period)

@ Gurbar Akaal : Thanks for value info. can Dandh Baithks be replaced with crunches or situps . and junk food is all gotten rid of :). Sometimes its hard to resist the tempt, but anything u suggest which is fingerlickin good yet nt fatty ( one of the discoveries yet to be made by mankind). Im on fruits almost the whole day.

@ serious gupt: thax for the support . More confident now . lolz

@Jag_Singh : No offense taken 'yet' !

Fateh

what I have researched , tells me that Six Pack is made in the kitchen and not in the GYM, because Cardio will only be effective only when the access or reserve calories/fat burns up, and that is only possible If i Stop adding more fat to the body.
You are absolutely spot on with the fact that a good body is built in the kitchen. But it should be "Exercise will only be effective..." (not cardio). Oh and fat does not make you fat, carbohydrate, specifically excess carbohydrate makes you fat. That's the new consesus of scientific community; 20 years ago it was "fat makes you fat"; now it's "carbs make you fat"; I'm sure this will change in another 10 years. In fact, there are good fats that your body needs to survive and be healthy. Polysaturated and monosaturated fats are good for you, while saturated and trans fat are bad for you. So, don't avoid all fats.
I wish to clarify if I should mix Weight training with Cardio while the focus is simply on loosing weight . If So should the weight training be intensive , or more of circuit types.
Circuit training type workouts will be extremely beneficial for you in fat loss. One could argue that this type of training is better at loosing weight than just cardio. Circuits will keep your heart rate elevated, which gives you the benefit of cardio. Additionally, since you are hitting every muscle in the body during circuits, you will burn more calories than doing just cardio. If you set up your circuit training properly, you only need to workout 3 days/week and with proper nutrition, you will loose weight.
In any case can u suggest anything that will be more specific for torso? I cant stop cardio as it helps build me stamina which i have struggled with, for years.
As it has been pointed out twice already, you can not spot reduce fat. Your focus should be decreasing fat (but preserving all the muscle you can) and your body will decide which parts become lean first and which last. Focus on creating a calorie deficit by increasing your activity level. Initially, this deficit should not be too big, about 200-300 calorie deficit per day is a good start.

P.S. I never advised you to stop doing cardio.

EDIT:

I dont want to, rather I cant , spare more than 90 minutes of total gym time ( including Cardion weight and Cool off period)
90 minutes per session!!! :o :o :o That is way too long to spending in the gym. When I was aiming to loose weight, I never spent more than 50 minutes (including warmup) in the gym; I was loosing ~ 2lbs per week. If you exercise for 90 minutes every day with a restricted fat loss diet, it's only a matter of time that you hurt yourself. I would highly advise against the long sessions. Don't spend more than 60 minutes in there (including warm up and cool down).