Guest gurpreet sag

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest --gupt--

Guru fateh!

No.

Regurally do simran so that guru ji will give u strength to change u'r mind if u'r really thinking about it.

Its not good.Its against sikh rules.

-----Read the following-----

Question:

I am a Gursikh and now I have a beard and a moustache. I think they are a bit unappealing. I think a lot of girls do not like me with my beard. I am very frustrated with this fact and feel very confused. I am thinking of going as clean-shaven. Please advise me.

Response:

I completely understand how you are feeling as I too went through a similar stage in my life, questioning my Khalsa image. At times I would wonder why I should keep my kesh (hair) as it seemed like many people worldwide have gone clean-shaven. Moreover, my friends would tell me that I would look better without my turban. They would say that I would look nice, decent, and clean with a haircut and no beard. Often I became frustrated and confused.

So one day I cut my hair. It was a most excruciating and painful experience. I felt like a part of my body, my soul, and my identify was thrown away. I felt that I had cheated myself, that I had destroyed my spirit and character. It was horrible seeing my long strands of hair dropping on the floor and being swept away into the trash can. A month afterwards, I went back to living my life as a Khalsa.

I realized how proud and special I feel to be carrying the Guru`s image. Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave his life and his family`s lives for the Khalsa. Since then, many others have fought for the right to uphold the Khalsa beliefs. By wearing a turban and having a beard, I feel warm inside and complete, and proud of my identity and heritage.

Moreover, I also used to think that my roop (appearance) would lower my chances with women. But I realized that this idea was just in my mind. I have discovered that many girls find my Khalsa image to be very attractive and take deep interest in learning more about me. Many find my hair appealing and yearn to understand why I wear my turban.

Thus, I recognized that my looks did not put me at a disadvantage and discovered that my personality, character, and confidence in approaching women were utmost important. As I gained more understanding and love for my Khalsa heritage, I gained more confidence in dealing with women. Anyways, I am currently with a beautiful and lovable girl and am proud to have my kesh and turban.

Brother, what you have to realize is that the image of the Khalsa -- the beard and moustache -- is beautiful. I feel so wonderful and proud that I am a part of this image. It is unfortunate, but superficial aspects can easily make one think otherwise. For instance, the media and some Indian movies, will often show unattractive Sikh characters used for comic relief. Even the Sikh community itself may ironically portray that the Khalsa image is not appealing. However, if you can conceive the gorgeousness of the Khalsa image, you will feel beautiful, and likewise others will find you beautiful. There are many girls who appreciate the attractiveness of the Khalsa image. However, you need to be confident in approaching such girls. This confidence comes from within.

I hope that my insight has helped.

Below follow-up by Navroop Singh

Long before, I ever attempted to walk the path of the Singh, I entered Boston University as a freshman. I came in with medium length hair, and about 2 weeks worth of scruff (I used to shave daily back then). Noticing, those around me to be quite superficial and weary of creating "fake friends" I undertook a small experiment. I actively made many "friends" within the first two weeks. The whole time allowing my hair to grow and my beard to become longer. I dressed outside of the norm, donning running shorts and ripped T-shirts as opposed to suits, slacks, dress shirts and fancy shoes. Slowly many of the friends I had amassed during the first two weeks slipped further and further away, and communication with these friends became more and more sparse.

Many of the girls who had initially shown interest backed off and stopped speaking to me. Though a select group of friends remained. Thanksgiving that year I returned home, and before my little sister could object I quickly shaved off my beard and woke the barber up to cut my hair (in those days my sister also preferred I remain clean shaven). On returning to the university, I saw a reversal in the trend that I had experienced before that. Many of those "friends" with whom I had lost touch, suddenly were ok with being seen with me in public again. The change had only been in my appearance. But demeanor with them had not altered any. The friends who had been with me the whole time remained after the change as well. I asked them about the difference in responses, assuming that they may have heard others speaking behind my back.

One such friend filled me in on what had been said. I had been deemed cool enough to hang with again, since I had cut my beard and hair down to "normal". I asked why he had remained my friend the whole time. His response simple, I don`t care what you do with your hair, that`s your choice, I care about you as a person.

Simple enough. Fast Forward to 2.5 years later. Now in my junior year of college, I`ve begun to keep my kesh and dhari. Having shaved for all those years, it naturally came in quite thick and quite rapidly. I`ve donned a turban since the day I decided to keep my beard, and no one objected. Again certain friends and opportunities to interact wither certain women have declined, while still others opportunities have opened up. The more mature amongst your peers will actively seek the reason for your kesh, and will respect you the more for it.

Having noticed a few girls shy away at a party, I was complaining to an older friend of mine. She looked at me and reminded me, that I had made a conscious decision to grow my beard and hair. Then still seeing that the answer had not satisfied me, she added, you`ve only missed out on a few girls who weren`t worth your time. When you find someone who loves you irrespective of this (touching my beard and then my pugh), and then loves you even more for it, then you`ll have someone who loves you more than these girls ever could, with or without your beard.

I realize this response has gotten long, but the point is, why would you want to be with a woman who has such a superficial mode of judgment? Take heart, your kesh makes you stand out, and the woman who respects and loves this will also necessarily be someone who stands out heads above the rest. Wouldn`t you rather meet someone like this?

Rab Rakka,

Roop Singh

P.S. on a side note, I have noticed that "desi" women have objected to the kesh more, among the other girls there was a natural curiosity which allowed me to explain, the result being very favorable. It seems harder for our own to respect this kesh than it does for others. Also the idea of being un-appealing seems to definately be in your mind. Find it appealing first yourself, and your confidence will show through. Then the women will follow naturally.

Below follow-up by Jaswinder Kaur

That beard and moustache is beautiful and dont let anyone tell u otherwise. How can u even say that u feel like shaving it off, dear brother that is gurus saroop that u hold, u should feel privelidged for him to have chosen u to look just like him. Bhaji i must b honest, who do u want to look appealing to? ask yourself that. When i used to cut my hair and and wear makeup to the max ui wanted to appeal to the rudeboys and the people who knew nothing of guru, now with a dastaar in my head and no make up i only appeal to those who know of my guru.

If you are looking to marry a person who is not really aware of sikhi then maybe a person like that will not find your beard appealing but if u r looking to appeal to sum 1 who is in sikhi, well then they will need to c that saroop. Honestly, 2 years ago i would never have even looked at a guy with a beard but now i find it beautiful, and i find singhs attractive, not sexually i just think that the saroop they have is beautiful, perfect just like my guru. All you need to do is think about is who u want to appeal to. Another issue to look at is why do u feel u need to appeal to any1 other than guru, even i feel like that sumtimes but we know that guru is all we should aim to please. I tell u bhaji, do simran, Simran is just sumthing else, at first u mite not feel it but seriously start donig about 10 mins everyday even if its not in the morning and guru will give u that strength, just remember to ask 4 it.

Guest london_jatta

what is up with u girls doing dating things? You know re4spectable sikh and muslim guys don;t really like to marry girls with exes. Some guys just make girlfriends for pre-marital fun, unfortiunately...

Some muslims have been known to do this, but not just muslmaans are at fault these days.

Can a sikh girl date a muslim guy at all?

Seriously... read your question out loud and just for a minute think about it.......and now think about how stupid you just sounded asking that question.

My opinion? I believe your just looking for justification..

Guest sikhster

Look I have nothing against other religions as long as they worship the same one creator- however a sikh girl dating or marrying a muslim guy is a very bad idea.

I've seen flyers offering boys money and even one giving out free pizzas to muslim boys who convert or date a sikh girl.

I've seen propoganda and heard muslim boys say they think sikh girls are easy and that they'd mess with them but woulndn't mess around a muslim girl because they resepct them.

I've come to the conclusion that although your prospective boyfriend if there actually is one may be genuine, if he is muslim he will most likely have ome across such propoganda whether by word of mouth or written on paper or will have cousins, brothers or friends who would let him know.

I've heard storied of girls being taken to pakistan and sold as slaves, of muslim husbands marrying a sikh girl and marrying other women aswell as they believe their religion permits them more than one wife, and multiple stories of beatings and abuse.

As well as all of this gurbani tells us to do sangat with good people as other people rub off on us. So do good sangat, marry agood sikh guy and it's all good.