Sign in to follow this  
Amrit79

Is Bhangra Acceptable

I wonder how different our history would've been if Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Ram Das Sahib Ji woud've replied to Baba Sri Chand's question ("Why do you, the great guru, grow such a long beard?"), with "If you want to go into this then, I'll make you look like a fool. So it's best if you stick to being arrogant here.".... just a thought...

As exercise it's okay. But when done where you show your "skills" to others, it is not good for one's spiritual journey. But we can easily say the same to stuff like the local tabla player playing some crazy composition during a shabad, or a kirtni playing a vajaa piece during kirtan...etc. It's a fine line which one must tread carefully.

The comparison was made by Papi of a Moorakh dancing in ego and a person playing tabla in ego to kirtan. He didn't realize he was slandering kirtan by comparing it to such degrading actions of a guy on stage making a fool out of himself.

Like I said before Papi if you want to get into this then we can see where it goes.

Take care pal and next time think before you slander kirtan

I wonder how different our history would've been if Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Ram Das Sahib Ji woud've replied to Baba Sri Chand's question ("Why do you, the great guru, grow such a long beard?"), with "If you want to go into this then, I'll make you look like a fool. So it's best if you stick to being arrogant here.".... just a thought...

Some need to understand in context, but they just end up showin their blunt stupidity. Just a thought.......rolleyes.gif

^ well you sure are good at putting words in other's mouths. Talking to you bring back memories of why I stopped posting on ss...kuttey di poosh kadi sidhi ni hundi

^ well you sure are good at putting words in other's mouths. Talking to you bring back memories of why I stopped posting on ss...kuttey di poosh kadi sidhi ni hundi

I know that's why you are so arrogantlaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Are you done yet so we can get back to the discussion laugh.gif

shad yaara tension nahi ...

Touché. My blunt stupidity is mine to show. I shall show it with honor. happy.gif

Thank you now let me an Papi discuss his remarks

Do expand if you don't mind.....maybe a few examples?

What would you like examples of?

Your asking me? :S

Maybe you can think of any situations which pop up in your mind. Examples related to everyday life.....would be nice.

So we need to evaluate whether our intentions are gurmat-based or self-based. Then we can decide what's right or wrong for ourselves in the best way possible, rather than relying on other people's opinions.

What was you trying to imply? That we should follow gurbani in our everyday life......and decide what is the right? What do you mean by other peoples opinions? opinions of what?

I was just asking you to clarify Jag_Singh as I wasn't sure what you meant.

My general point was just as you said above, that we should be able to read and understand Gurbani in order to apply it to everyday situations. If we have a question (any question), looking at what Guru Ji Himself says is surely better than asking anybody else. However if we need help in understand Guru Ji's message then of course sangat is a great way to enhance your knowledge.

For example with the subject of Bhangra. People play it/listen to it/dance to it for many different reasons. So if someone who dances to it wants to know whether it's right or wrong then they can ask themselves internally why they're doing it? Then figure out if the reasons are based on ego, or pleasing other people, or fitness, or something else. Then relating these reasons back to Gurbani one can assess whether it's a useful activity or if it's in line with Gurmat.

However I don't want to tell anybody how to live their life.

People play it/listen to it/dance to it for many different reasons. So if someone who dances to it wants to know whether it's right or wrong then they can ask themselves internally why they're doing it? Then figure out if the reasons are based on ego, or pleasing other people, or fitness, or something else. Then relating these reasons back to Gurbani one can assess whether it's a useful activity or if it's in line with Gurmat.

So what are you trying to say.....a person who is on the dance floor should quickly access themselves by asking 'whether it's right or wrong then they can ask themselves internally why they're doing it?' (based on bhangra of course) and then they should expect to relate it to gurmat while thinking about the initial question whilst hitting some moves on the dancefloor, all at the same time........is this what you mean?? :6

Secondly, you didn't mention anything about 'other peoples opinions' so I'm still not sure what you mean here.....what opinion are we talking about?

People play it/listen to it/dance to it for many different reasons. So if someone who dances to it wants to know whether it's right or wrong then they can ask themselves internally why they're doing it? Then figure out if the reasons are based on ego, or pleasing other people, or fitness, or something else. Then relating these reasons back to Gurbani one can assess whether it's a useful activity or if it's in line with Gurmat.

So what are you trying to say.....a person who is on the dance floor should quickly access themselves by asking 'whether it's right or wrong then they can ask themselves internally why they're doing it?' (based on bhangra of course) and then they should expect to relate it to gurmat while thinking about the initial question whilst hitting some moves on the dancefloor, all at the same time........is this what you mean?? blink.gif

Secondly, you didn't mention anything about 'other peoples opinions' so I'm still not sure what you mean here.....what opinion are we talking about?

I’m under the impression that Jag_Singh is a machine? Prove me else J I have 2 questions for you...

Firstly.. Do you ever sleep?

Secondly.. Can i call you the STIG?

Jag_Singh, whether a person wants to stop in the middle of their actions, or before or after is up to them. I think any rational person would chose the latter two options so that they can adjust their actions in the future if necessary. With respect to other people's opinions, I am merely saying that if we have a question we shouldn't rely on other human's opinions alone to get the answer. Relying on Guru Ji is always best.

Firstly.. Do you ever sleep

I'd also quite like to know the answer to this.

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

Bhangra is our 'dance of joy'. However, there is a time and place for expressing joy. Where physically you should not break into bhangra your heart may do the needful.

I stay in Chandigarh and whenever Guruji blesses me with a trip to Darbar Sahib my heart breaks into a Bhangra.

Dancing is a human urge and Guruji mentions this in Asa ji di vaar: nachan kudhan man kaa chaao ||

They dance and jump around on the urgings of their minds.

Guru Rakha